Mean Green Report

Cerebus

Not to be a party pooper, but I see potentially a bad omen here. If this means we have started diverting resources to baseball what does that say about our new stadium prospects? In a way I see this as an "oh well, the stadium thing is too pie in the sky for now so I'll show progress by propping up a new baseball facility." I don't know if I like that. Don't get me wrong, I'm exited at the news, but lets not forget priority #1. A new Football stadium, right? huh.gif

Not to be a party pooper, but I see potentially a bad omen here.  If this means we have started diverting resources to baseball what does that say about our new stadium prospects?  In a way I see this as an "oh well, the stadium thing is too pie in the sky for now so I'll show progress by propping up a new baseball facility."  I don't know if I like that.  Don't get me wrong, I'm exited at the news, but lets not forget priority #1.  A new Football stadium, right?  huh.gif

I agree. A varsity spring sport like baseball is nice but football, and more important football attendance and facilities, is the cash-cow that will make or break our CUSA entry. A football stadium should not be pushed down the food chain.

I agree.  A varsity spring sport like baseball is nice but football, and more important football attendance and facilities, is the cash-cow that will make or break our CUSA entry.  A football stadium should not be pushed down the food chain.

Ever consider there are people/alums who want baseball and will donate for that rather than donate for football or perhaps they gave to the football fund as well. Raising $3MM is a lot easier than $40MM. The sky isn't falling.

I don't see this as the football stadium losing traction or being dropped to the bottom of the food chain. I look at it as, "Hey not only are we raising money for a new FB stadium we also are dangerously close to completing fundraising for a new baseball stadium.

Remeber RV is the AthleticS Director not the football director therefore he must actively work on ALL athletics. Don't be so myopic.

Ever consider there are people/alums who want baseball and will donate for that rather than donate for football or perhaps they gave to the football fund as well.  Raising $3MM is a lot easier than $40MM.  The sky isn't falling. 

I don't see this as the football stadium losing traction or being dropped to the bottom of the food chain.  I look at it as, "Hey not only are we raising money for a new FB stadium we also are dangerously close to completing fundraising for a new baseball stadium.

Remeber RV is the AthleticS Director not the football director therefore he must actively work on ALL athletics.  Don't be so myopic.

Myopic? blink.gif I can't even spell myopic.

Two thoughts come to me.

1. What womens programs will have to be added and at what cost to stay in line with Title 9.

2. The cost of a baseball program will run at a minimum $ 175,000 a year plus the cost of running another womens program. (this is not a guess. I was VP Finance and Administration at El Paso Community College who started baseball and softball programs from scratch and it cost $350,000... not considering coaches salary.

I can verify that UTEP did not have a baseball program when I was there and it is my understanding they still don't.

Edited by OldTimer

As far as people complaining about why we are adding a baseball team vs. saving for a new stadium lets look at the conference issue. We have to do whatever it takes to try and upgrade our ATHLETIC program.

Look at SMU and UTEP, while baseball didnt hurt their chances of getting into CUSA take a look at what those other programs had to offer that we didnt.

Neither one of the three had baseball, but SMU has the $$$$. enough said. UTEP has a big name coach and an potential of 40,000 fans for most home games. Now compare that to us and its easy to see why we were not chosen. If we would of had baseball at the time, maybe that swings us ahead of the other two.

Also as far a title 9 goes, baseball isnt that much of a demanding title 9 sport. Although their are 30 or so players on a team, i believe that it only count for 11 scholorships ( i could be wrong on that ). If thats the case then we should be okay as far as title 9 goes with our present womans lineup.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm glad we may get it again, but baseball wasn't a factor for Tulsa, SMUt, and UTEP.    dry.gif

Your're right, of course, but a good baseball program still might help in the future.

If Tulsa and SMU had been considered individually, one might not have been accepted. But, by Tulsa, SMU and Rice banding together, they were able to be considered collectiviely. I think UTEP made it on attendance alone. Plus, they are so far from the rest of the conference members, no one cared to make a trip that far.

Since all of the others play baseball, and we're the only possible candidate that does not, it would be in our best interest to have it.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Two thoughts come to me. 

1.  What womens programs will have to be added and at what cost to stay in line with Title 9.

2.  The cost of a baseball program will run at a minimum $ 175,000 a year plus the cost of running another womens program.  (this is not a guess.  I was VP Finance and Administration  at El Paso Community College who started  baseball and softball programs  from scratch and it cost $350,000... not considering coaches salary.

I can verify that UTEP did not have a baseball program when I was there and it is my understanding they still don't.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Two thoughts come to me. 

1.  What womens programs will have to be added and at what cost to stay in line with Title 9.

2.  The cost of a baseball program will run at a minimum $ 175,000 a year plus the cost of running another womens program.  (this is not a guess.  I was VP Finance and Administration  at El Paso Community College who started  baseball and softball programs  from scratch and it cost $350,000... not considering coaches salary.

Operating costs may not be that much of a factor. In 2004, our revenue exceeded our expenses by about 1.3 million. Further, if our enrollment keeps increasing, so will our revenue.

I realize, that was only a year, not necessarily a trend. We can't plan on increasing revenue every year. We could also have extraordinary expenses in any year. All of our athletic revenue needs to be carefully managed and it appears that it is.

It's also possible that we may not have to add a women's sport since we have all of the major sports in which women participate. But, if we should, bowling is relatively inexpensive, or with sponsors, eqestrian. Unless we are denying women the right to compete, we may be looked upon favorably.

Lastly, if it came down to it, I'd rather have baseball than say, men's track & field (which I use to dearly love).

As far as people complaining about why we are adding a baseball team vs. saving for a new stadium lets look at the conference issue.  We have to do whatever it takes to try and upgrade our ATHLETIC program. 

Look at SMU and UTEP, while baseball didnt hurt their chances of getting into CUSA take a look at what those other programs had to offer that we didnt.

Neither one of the three had baseball, but SMU has the $$$$.  enough said.  UTEP has a big name coach and an potential of 40,000 fans for most home games.  Now compare that to us and its easy to see why we were not chosen.  If we would of had baseball at the time, maybe that swings us ahead of the other two.

Also as far a title 9 goes, baseball isnt that much of a demanding title 9 sport.  Although their are 30 or so players on a team, i believe that it only count for 11 scholorships ( i could be wrong on that ).  If thats the case then we should be okay as far as title 9 goes with our present womans lineup.

Title 9 is met at NT now counting the womens softball team...it can't be counted again when we add mens baseball...it not sport by sport but overall mens ships vs womens ships....it takes a lot to over football.

UTEP's and SMU's football facilities are obviously WAY ahead of ours...for now. I drove by SMU's stadium for the first time the other day and was absolutely blown away by how nice it is. UTEP's basketball tradition didn't hurt their chances at C-USA either. We desperately need this baseball team...but not as badly as we need a competitive basketball team in my opinion.

This is just one more step in the right direction towards our eventual long term goal.