Football: UNT opens spring

Harry

Football: UNT opens spring

Mean Green football hits practice field with new faces

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...g.2788461b.html

08:56 AM CST on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Shawn Early returned to practice for the first time in nearly a year on Monday and found himself in an unfamiliar situation.

DRC/Al Key

UNT assistant head coach coach Kenny Evans makes a point to his players on the first day of spring practice on Monday at the UNT practice field.

The North Texas senior was a starter at outside linebacker during the 2004 season and was expected to play the same spot in 2005 before a knee injury kept him on the sideline. Early began preparing for his senior year a second time during the Mean Green’s first workout of spring practice as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

UNT is considering changing to the alignment after spending the last several years in the 4-3.

“I think it will good for us,” Early said of the new scheme. “We have a lot of athletes who can run to the ball. It’s a matter of seeing where we all fit.”

UNT is probably deeper at linebacker than at any other spot on its defense. The Mean Green return all five linebackers who filled the six spots on their two-deep depth chart last season.

Senior linebacker Phillip Graves was a second-team All-Sun Belt Conference pick, while junior Maurice Holman was named to the honorable mention team. Junior Brandon Monroe has started off and on throughout his first two years and finished fourth on the team with 67 tackles last season.

A switch to the 3-4 would allow UNT head coach Darrell Dickey to get more of those players on the field next season.

“We have played the 3-4 some in the past and are looking at using it more,” Dickey said. “We think it will help us get some of our better players on the field.”

A host of young players could also make an impact for the Mean Green in the 3-4, including redshirt freshman Tobe Nwigwe and sophomore Eddrick Gilmore.

Gilmore has played defensive end and tight end during his short stay with the Mean Green, but opened spring practice at outside linebacker.

“It’s perfect for me,” Gilmore said. “I will be able to get into a two-point stance and rush the quarterback. The new defense will let us fly to the ball. We have a lot linebackers and quick safeties who will be able to get to the ball and make plays.”

UNT’s players believe the switch could allow them to regain their form of a few years ago after finishing third in the Sun Belt in scoring defense during league play last season with an average of 20.3 points allowed a game.

UNT’s players knew coming into spring that they would start out in the 3-4 and began the adjustment process on Monday under new defensive coordinator Fred Bleil. UNT’s players had a positive first impression of both their new coach and new defense after the first session of spring workouts.

“I liked everything about coach Bleil,” Gilmore said. “He is up-tempo and upbeat. He is going to fuss at you, but he is going to congratulate you when you do well, too.”

Opportunity too big for Malone to pass up

Former UNT defensive backs coach Van Malone said a chance to coach at Arizona State was too big an opportunity to pass up — even if it is to coach a position out of his area of expertise.

Malone spent one season at UNT before agreeing to coach running backs for the Sun Devils earlier this month. The former Texas standout was back on campus last week to clean out his office before heading out to begin his new job.

Malone recruited the Houston area for UNT and will keep the same territory at ASU.

“It’s an opportunity to learn more about the game from some good coaches,” Malone said. “It will be a little scary coaching in an area I do not have as much experience in, but coaching is coaching.”

Briefly …

Defensive ends Jeremiah Chapman, Willie Ransom and Tye Rexrode and offensive lineman Dylan Lineberry will miss spring practice with injuries. … Deavin Cox has moved from defensive back to running back. … Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College transfer Trent Stanley opened spring practice at center. He played guard for the Red Ravens last year and was a second team NJCAA All-American. … Director of Football Operations Mike Barela is filling in as an assistant coach. UNT has not filled openings for a running backs or tight ends coach. Barela was the tight ends coach for two seasons at Sam Houston State before joining UNT’s staff. Dickey said he would complete his staff late this week or early next week. … Dickey said he liked his players’ attitude on the first day of practice.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com

Guest GrayEagleOne

Also in the Record-Chronicle was a photo of the six quarterbacks. The only one that I could positively identify was Meager, who was second from the right. I'm assuming that Wilson is the farthest away from the camera and Ieans is second from the left (easily the tallest). I think that Phillips is then third from the left and Haynes is closest to the camera. That leaves one to Meager's left that I can't identify. I thought that Mills left the program, so who is the sixth quarterback?

One oddity....there are six helmets, six footballs, and SEVEN arms. What's worse is that it appears that one is not holding a football.