Big Request: If You Have 1964 YUCCA, Please Scan

PlummMeanGreen

Note from 1968 annual:

The Tulsa Hurricane blew into Fouts Field as the No. 2 passing team in the nation and looking for a replay of last year's title game.

The Eagles, remembering their 30-27 defeat, did a little blowing of their own and knocked the Hurricane windless, 54-12.

16,500 fans watched the Mean Green batter Tulsa for the MVC championship as quarterback Steve Ramsey passed for 274 yards and four touchdowns. Ronnie Shanklin caught three passes for TDs.

The Tulsa offense was smothered by the Mean Green, while the Eagles rolled up 480 yards and eight touchdowns.

The Yucca, 1968

note the 16,500 attendence ---enrollment was only about 15,000. Now our enrollment is over 32,000 and the attendence is not much better. Shame, shame on the students and recent alums. The alumini base is huge now compared to what it was in 1968 since ten years earlier (1958) the enrollment was less than 10,000.

Basketball attendence is disgracefull compared to what it was in the 60's as well.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

...UNT must have a jillion North Texas Exes who just happen to be HS band directors here in the Southwest and if UNT officials developed some rapport with them and even persuaded them to come back to their alma mater (with their HS bands with them, of course)  for each NT Ex band director to  receive a "special commendation" (and very nice plaque) at half time of an NT FB game and all this as recognized band director from their very own alma mater so thus, that would be our market for a UNT Band Day. 

But heck, Don, UNT is still trying to find out where all our other alums are located so I wouldn't bank on their even having such a list of HS band directors who are NT graduates.  But still, that would be the main focuss group for a UNT Band Day that would have any chance of being successful.  The real key to all of this would be some NT employee on who would take on this project, give it some legs and some hard work to make it successful one Game Day each football season.

Bu I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this to happen with this present group we have on campus and even under the formula of using all our NT Exes band directors and their bringing their bands to Fouts Field on a Game Day.

Good ideas but none of them get you over the hurdle of the UIL and the weelly hours limit these band directors have the kids

Jim -

Please check your e-mail.  The picture you wanted should be there. 

DH

DH, I am just now getting on GMG.com for the first time today, so I wasn't able to call you since its late even now. I also just sent you an email response, but I forgot to ask you this:

Can you scan that photo on this GMG.com thread for all to see? Very impressive color photo of that NT Band Day back in 1964. Thanks in advance.

JGP

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

---I don't know.... The interlocked NT made a lot of sense.... Tech has their double T, A&M continues to use their ATM, and Texas uses the "Longhorn" T.  North Texas is weak on traditions compared to a lot of universities.  Traditions  is one thing that connects different class years together.  We need to do better.

---I doubt that our name ever changes again and besides North Texas has always been part of our official shool name, why not use the interlocked NT.  (with or without the star you used).

I was on a business trip this week to Atlanta. My customer saw my interlocked "NT" ring and wanted to know if we had changed our name or if it was still North Texas State. I said "Man its been 18 years now since the change."

Edited by NT91

Good ideas but none of them get you over the hurdle of the UIL and the weelly hours limit these band directors have the kids

A FEW ADDITIONAL THURSDAY TID-BITS.......

Baby Arm!, you're probably right about that, but I'd bet a large number of UNT graduated band directors who were all going to get honored by the UNT College of Music & NT Athletics at half time would make special arrangements to put such an event on his/her upcoming academic year planning calendar because you know these band directors would love to have each of their band members see "their" band director receive the special commendation, special recognition, praise and a nice plaque commermorating their big day?

Most musicians have egos as big as most college jocks or sports types. (Ever watched the Grammy's for proof of that)?smile.gif The high schools many of our NT-graduated marching band directors work of which many of those (3A, 4A and 5A) are putting in Field Turf, Astroturf, etc, etc, etc, @ about $800,000 in their old and new multi-jilliion "Texas H$" football stadiums, so it might just be time for the Texas, you know, like the license plates says, ie, "Deep in the Arts of Texas?" (or something like that); anyway, isn't it high time the arts crowd of our Texas public HS's get some semblance of equal time? Would a Band Day be so extravagent in comparision to what our Texas high school sports programs get? (Whoops, have I sudddenly stumbled into "sacred cow" territory once again here)?!?!?!?! LOL!

WHY NOT US @ UNT?

I believe Baylor and Texas Tech (and others across the USA) still have annual band days on a given Game Day each football season. Wonder how those 2 Texas universities can still pull this off when another Texas-based university in the northern part of Texas which is (only) the 2'nd largest College of Music in the USA seems to "ALWAYS" come up with all the reasons as to why we can't pull of a BAND DAY? sad.gif Sorry, I did say I wasn't going to do this anymore, but hey already, I'm responding to a post, OK)?smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plummer, I was assuming you were talking about the 1964-1965 school year Yucca.  The book I have is actually labeled the 1965 Yucca.

A SEARCHING QUESTION ADDITION ON THIS COOL'ISH THURSDAY:

Phil, the YUCCA I saw that NT Band Day photo had "1964" on the cover as I recall.

I am hoping Huff will link that color photo on this thread as he did send me that photo in an email.

A 1964 FOUTS FIELD PHOTO COMMENT AND A SEARCHING QUESTION THAT NEEDS A VIABLE ANSWER IN LIGHT OF THE FACT THAT SOME TEXAS D1-A SCHOOLS STILL HAVE THEIR OWN BAND DAYS......................That 1964 photo has quite an impressive content of thousands upon thousands of Mean Green fans I must add........................Silver Eagle was one of an entire football field full of Texas HS bandsmen in that photo, too.

AND NOW............THE QUESTION: Wonder how many football souvenir programs, NT gear items, hot dogs, colas, popcorn, peanuts, etc, etc, etc, all those bandsmen purchased on that Fall of 1964 Game Day? >>>> Wonder how many of that massive group of bandsmen made their decision to attend UNT because of their college Band Day experience in Denton, Texas, USA?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I was on a business trip this week to Atlanta. My customer saw my interlocked "NT" ring and wanted to know if we had changed our name or if it was still North Texas State. I said "Man its been 18 years now since the change."

That shows we still have a long ways to go towards National recognition (despite 4 SBC trophies). dry.gif