It's official: SMUt comes to Denton Sept. 9

NT80

SMU football schedule includes Tuesday game

12:15 AM CST on Friday, February 10, 2006

From Staff Reports

SMU will open the 2006 football season with a pair of in-state road games, Sept. 2 vs. Texas Tech and Sept. 9 vs. North Texas. The Mustangs will be making their first trip to Denton since 1990.

Sam Houston State opens SMU's 6-game home slate on Sept. 16 at Gerald J. Ford Stadium and the Mustangs will have a nationally-televised weeknight home game vs. UAB on Tuesday., Oct. 31. The game – the first of three straight conference games at home – will be shown on ESPN2. It will be the first time since 1999 that SMU will play a weeknight game.

SMU opens Conference USA play with back-to-back road games at Tulane (Sept. 30) and UT-El Paso (Oct. 7).

The second annual Conference USA championship game will be Dec. 2.

2006 SMU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 2: at Texas Tech

Sept. 9: at North Texas

Sept. 16: Sam Houston

Sept. 23: Arkansas State

Sept. 30: at Tulane

Oct. 7: at UTEP

Oct. 14: Marshall

Oct. 21: at East Carolina

Oct. 31: UAB

Nov. 11: Houston

Nov. 18: Tulsa

Nov. 25: at Rice

This feels like a trap game to me. Yes, both SMU and NT will get their heads handed to them the week prior but I think Mack Brown will be out to prove a point because Texas will not be ranked in the top 4 to start the season. SMU may get pounded but they'll "hand in there" better than we will and will come to Fouts with a modicum of confidence and a chip on their shoulder. We, on the other hand, will be "lucky to be on the same field as UT" as Dickey will put it.

they're playin sam houston? why don't we play em (shsu) or maybe tsu-sm, sfa, etc.

just one game...

i know alot of you are gonna have really negative responses to that idea, but i just want to ask why not....

i'm a newbie here, so be gentle....

Guest Aquila_Viridis

If our players work their a$$ off between now and the end of August, they can make a respectable showing in Austin. If they don't, I really won't care whether they beat SMU or not. If they do and then also beat SMU and have a winning record overall I will shower my life's savings on UNT, and not just for athletics. I urge everyone else to make the same kind of offer: a significant increase in contributions, including those for academics, based on those achievements.

I'm increasing contributions now, but I'm not going to sustain them if they can't get ready with over 6 months to prepare. Likewise, I urge anyone else, who's not giving everything they can, to do the same. Let's make a big effort in the next few months and see what they can do.

I guess Houston and Tulsa - but those are the last two games of the year and SMU could be 0 fer at that point.  Ugly schedule for the Stangs.

Why do you think SMU may not have a win by that point of the season? They were way better than us last year. They are competitive in their conference.

Don't confuse me with an SMU fan, but I like their schedule other than the SHSU game. They have always been able to attract an Ok St. or other BCS school of that caliber to their house. Not sure why they didn't this year.

Around here, we were gaining positive momentum attendance-wise by winning. I am sure that is their plan as well.

Why do you think SMU may not have a win by that point of the season?  They were way better than us last year.  They are competitive in their conference. 

Don't confuse me with an SMU fan, but I like their schedule other than the SHSU game.  They have always been able to attract an Ok St. or other BCS school of that caliber to their house.  Not sure why they didn't this year. 

agreed. Im going to say that they will be a contender for their division next year. I dont think we win this game and its gonna really piss me off. Hope Im wrong, but I have to agree with Emmitt. Too many question marks before this game, and I dont know how many answers we will get in front of 84k at DKR the week before.