Strength and Conditioning

THOR

With all the lineman, both defensive and offensive, that have signed with us this year, the strength and conditioning coaches will be paramount to their developement. Are our Strength coaches any good? Is too much stock put into those coaches? Is that their job with the team, to bulk up our lineman? Just curious.

Guest GrayEagleOne

So what does 2* and 5.7 RR mean to us lamen folks???  biggrin.gif

Rivals, after supposedly thorough examination by film, talking to coaches at all levels and scouts, assigns a ranking to most players. When the evaluators can find little information on a recruit, he is assigned a rating of 4.9 (sleeper). If the rating is 5.0 to 5.4 it means that the prospect is a Division I player, probably mid-major. Limited pro prospect at this time. A rating of 5.5 to 5.7 means that the prospect is one of the best in the region and 201 to 500 nationally. A rating of 5.8 to 6.0 is considered to be number 26 to 150. The Top 25 get a rating of 6.1, which indicates a franchise player. A rating of 4.9 can be one or two stars. Ratings of 5.0 thru 5.4 get two stars. Three stars are assigned to the 5.5 to 5.8 ratings and four stars to the highest. JCs do not get a rating but they do get stars,

Guest GrayEagleOne

Chris Sekora is the head Strength and Conditioning Coach and has been at North Texas five years, four as head coach (he replaced Mike Bugar). Before that he was at LSU for three years. His assistant is Buck Prevette, who is a NT graduate and has only been here for about three years.

Remember also, that these coaches are not football coaches. They must design a program for and monitor all 250+ athletes. Before this past year our weight room was much smaller and workouts were scheduled from the wee hours to late, which I'd think would be a handicap to fine-tuning an athlete. Hopefully, you'll see great improvement with the new facility.

Remember also, that these coaches are not football coaches.  They must design a program for and monitor all 250+ athletes.  Before this past year our weight room was much smaller and workouts were scheduled from the wee hours to late, which I'd think would be a handicap to fine-tuning an athlete.  Hopefully, you'll see great improvement with the new facility.

Hope you are right!

Coach Seroka is a good one.  But what I would like to see NT obtain an interest in is speed training for our skill positions.

Rick

This a a great point. Having strength and being conditioned does not equate to speed necessarily. Having watched UNT for many years, I am always amazed at how other schools' players can run down one of our wide receivers, tailbacks, or quarterbacks, but we can only seem to catch a whiff of the opposing team once they break into the secondary.

Just my 2 cents.