FIU stadium project may move '07 games

MeanGreen61

Posted on Sun, Jan. 29, 2006

FIU Stadium project might result in a move to OB

The Golden Panthers' plans for a new football stadium could mean that all five of their 2007 home games would be played at the Orange Bowl.

BY PETE PELEGRIN

ppelegrin@MiamiHerald.com

Florida International already will play one game at the Orange Bowl this season. But when plans for the Golden Panthers' new on-campus stadium go into effect this year, FIU could end up playing all five of its home games at the Orange Bowl.

The Golden Panthers visit the Orange Bowl on Oct. 14 to play Miami, but construction of their proposed 23,700-seat stadium might force FIU to relocate to the Hurricanes' home stadium, according to FIU athletic director Rick Mello.

''Our target date for the new stadium has always been 2007,'' Mello said. ``In order to get it done that quickly, it will necessitate us playing one season outside our stadium, and the Orange Bowl would be the likely place, and that would have to be worked out with UM.''

ARTICLE

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...es/13736372.htm

Edited by MeanGreen61

Boy, if there is any university in America that needs a new stadium it is FIU. We went to the game down there last Fall and were amazed by the poor quality of their stadium. We had heard it was bad but had to be there to fully understand. Anybody that wants to grumble about Fouts Field needs to go down there and take a look at what they play in. When we go back there in 2007 the Orange Bowl would be a huge improvement.

Boy, if there is any university in America that needs a new stadium it is FIU.  We went to the game down there last Fall and were amazed by the poor quality of their stadium.  We had heard it was bad but had to be there to fully understand.  Anybody that wants to grumble about Fouts Field needs to go down there and take a look at what they play in.  When we go back there in 2007 the Orange Bowl would be a huge improvement.

You are right about the quality of the stadium. However, you have to put in perspective it was always meant to be a temporary stadium for a IAA program until we could become IA. Fate made FIU join IA ranks only after two years of the program's existence. Remember FIU always had the choice of playing either at the Orange Bowl (we are playing there next year) or Dolphins Stadium.....From what I've heard the new "Cage" will be a very, very nice cozy stadium...Hopefully, when you come back in 2007, you will see a very nice FIU Stadium, not the Orange Bowl....

Uhhh, are you both saying that Fouts was "crappy" from the day that it opened?

Yes, it was obsolete before the first shovel of dirt was turned.

I'm sure that someone back then had a slick video that was able to convince people that since it was better than what they already had, then it must be the way to go.

Problem is, that HORRIBLE stadium design with it's incredibly bad seating has kept North Texas football down for more than half a century.

Well, at least we learned from that mistake. sad.gif

Yes, it was obsolete before the first shovel of dirt was turned.

I'm sure that someone back then had a slick video that was able to convince people that since it was better than what they already had, then it must be the way to go.

Problem is, that HORRIBLE stadium design with it's incredibly bad seating has kept North Texas football down for more than half a century.

Well, at least we learned from that mistake. sad.gif

ADLER, I think they originally showed that Madison Avenue produced and (in deed) slick 8 millimeter silent movie as to what Fouts Field would look eventually like at the old (now demolished) Fine Arts Theatre on the Denton Courthouse Square.

In fact, one on my ex professors I had for an elective, ie, the great Fessor' Floyd Graham was said to have played that theatres organ during the showing of the Fouts flick as some Dentonites were overheard saying: "Why in hades would they want to take all that good farming (and hay producing) land away from us, dabnab it?!?!?!:( On the serious side, I do get the message you are sending us.

smile.gif