MEAN GREEN BASEBALL

djohnnie

ANY NEWS ON WHETHER NORTH TEXAS IS GOING TO HAVE A DIV 1 BASEBALL TEAM? RICK V MENTIONED THERE WOULD BE A DECISION WITHIN 45 DAYS ABOUT A MONTH AGO. I THINK BASEBALL WOULD BE A NICE ADDITION TO THE PROGRAM. I DIDN'T KNOW IF SOMEONE HAD HEARD SOMETHING? THANKS

GMG

RV responded to this question from a poster recently:

I think many people are wondering about the baseball field. I understand that it is dependant on the owners of the Outlaws participating. Will they still be building a baseball stadium and if so when?

RV: It is no longer dependent on them although I believe they will be a part of it. Look for good news soon.

RV responded to this question from a poster recently:

I think many people are wondering about the baseball field. I understand that it is dependant on the owners of the Outlaws participating.  Will they still be building a baseball stadium and if so when?

RV:  It is no longer dependent on them although I believe they will be a part of it. Look for good news soon.

You'll probably hear something soon biggrin.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

I hate the name "Outlaws."  Why not the Eagles, or the Mud Hens, or Interstates ?

Anyway, something that was postive in nature.

GO MEAN GREEN

I believe that the original intent was to have all nicknames relevant to the Old West.

I believe that the original intent was to have all nicknames relevant to the Old West.

Denton has a large history of Outlaws around it. From Bonnie and Clyde to hideout hill now called I believe "Pilot Knob" along I-35W where outlaw gangs used to hole up and watch for the good guys.

Considering his affection for conspiracy theory,  if you are going to honor PlummMeanGreen  whay not call the team "The Lone Gunman"  ohmy.gif

SUNDAY MORNING COMIN' DOWN...........

Funny, BA!:)

Well, Baby Arm, but since you 've sorta' now turned this into something other than a baseball thread I will respond with this:

B.A., after about the 6'th game of Dickey Ball this next Fall, whatever section you are sitting in, many may start calling you the, uh, "Lone Gunman" since you will most likely not have that many sitting around you.wink.gif

Still totally amazing (almost unfathomoble for some of you who I suppose have a good UNT college education) is how some of you still seemd to need 2 or more years of boring, undisciplined, "radio bashing aimed at "YOU" Dickey Ball to figure out what many of us knew after his first 8 years.

Sorry, but those 4 bowl games and who we had to beat to get those just don't do it, just like they never did it for most of the regional and national sports media---except the boys of the MGRN, of course).

Now some of you can walk around all you want, high five each other till the cows come home and state (while some of you may now even ask): "Well, we really do have it going on at UNT because (after all) we were SBC/Bottom 10 football champions and went to 4 bowl games? So surely that means we really do have it going on at UNT, uh, now don't we?":) >>>>>>>>>>>A Lone Star State college football fan's question to any Mean Green fan: "But how far into the Top 25 did all that Dickey Ball get yall? "HUH?!?!?!?" "Say it again now........just how few votes toward the bottome of the Top 25 voting list did yall get during that 4 bowl game run?" "Oh, I see..............":(

Is UNT's most unique reward system of athletic mananagement (at an NCAA D1-A level, that is) going to make an obvious North Texas misfit the next Tina Slinker and give him a chance (I'd say 17 years is a rather big chance, wouldn't you?) to get that W/L record up to .500, but that being against a bunch of nobody schools since we know we rarely beat anyone outside the SBC/Bottom 10?

To you who have an obvious passion for the kind of college football we are presently getting in Denton I really have to ask to you this question: "Why don't we just aim this ship back to the Southland Conference (of which the last 8 years of Dickey Ball many of us wonder now how many times we would have actually beaten their best 2 football schools)?

.......................................................................................

Dear Bobby Ray: (and I know your listening since you truly value the opinions of the NT constituency)smile.gif (a bit of my own sarcasm with that).smile.gif

Yet, you have single-handedly with your tunnel-visioned "not looking at the short term or long term ramifications of your decision-making" created a malaise at UNT where fans are accepting of just about anything you keep dishing out to them and of which you also keep giving contract extensions to.

Mr. Ray, you have single-handely taken UNT to new and lower depths and its all happening under your watch, little buddy, ie, our little Napoleon of the North who few I know still seem to have ever seen you at Mean Green football games 3-4 decades before it sorta' became your job as an NT Regent to be seen at Mean Green football games. Have A Nice Day!:)

.........................................................................................

Uh..............You All Like That? (Hellsbells, if I haven't gotten anything else of value or substance the last decade from the Mean Green Radio Network boys I did get that phrase from them. A phrase (which BTW) was a condescending sarcasam coming from paid NT employees aimed at each and every one of you. So...........Do You All Really, Really Like That? Many of us don't any longer and we won't $upport such condescending $hit such as that coming from those employed by the University of North Texas.

BTW, Baby Arm, I am not "the Lone Gunman" with those thoughts, either----you'll see.

.........................................................................................

SLACKER? And hey now, whose saying I don't have a job out there?smile.gif

After 25 years in the tech school recruiting business, just recently got my highest salary offer after those 25 years, grabbed it (of course) and am back to being a tax-payer (but FWIW, I sure as hell enjoyed some time off; in fact, I recommend it (but probably moreso on a permanent basis) to many presently on the UNT Athletic Department payroll who have delivered to the Mean Green Nation low set goals at an SBC/Bottom 10 level that we are not even reaching any longer.

SO ONE MORE TIME I ASK THE QUESTION:

How many more years of Dickey Ball and Dickey style leadership do you need before your own lights turn on with all this.

3 most strategic losses last Fall (and a near loss to FIU even with their 8 turnovers) turned my lights on big time with all this and brought me out of my own "self-induced" malaise and back to what I sorta' knew all the time was the true reality of what we've really had with our MG football program operating at a low level. I think many of you know exactly what we have, too, but why some of you still want to support its perseverance is the $64,000 question to many of us.

Like that scene in the Frankenstein movie, we should all be marching up that hill with our torches lit demanding some answers and some changes in Mean Green Country. (And don't take that too literally, Baby Arm)! LOL! smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You know Jim, in some ways you remind me of the person that been married about 7 times, and is about to enter into his 8th.

You wonder why he keeps doing something that he's clearly not successful at (in your case trying to convince the Mean Green masses and/or administrators to fire Dickey) but you kind'of admire his persistence.

BTW, I'm still open to taking up a collection for that "PMG-better-drugs-and-getting-laid" fund.

BTW, congratulations on your new job. PM me and give me details.

And to Baby Arm. Don't make fun of the "Lone Gunmen". It was one of my favorite shows when it was on.

You know Jim, in some ways you remind me of the person that been married about 7 times, and is about to enter into his 8th.

You wonder why he keeps doing something that he's clearly not successful at (in your case trying to convince the Mean Green masses and/or administrators to fire Dickey) but you kind'of admire his persistence.

BTW, I'm still open to taking up a collection for that "PMG-better-drugs-and-getting-laid"  fund.

BTW, congratulations on your new job. PM me and give me details.

And to Baby Arm. Don't make fun of the "Lone Gunmen". It was one of my favorite shows when it was on.

Sadly, many who have given up with all this you will no longer see post on this forum any longer. My days of doing such will probably also end in due time, but (what the hell) I want to get my shots in now toward those who I think are profusely abusing the power of their position or title at UNT and at the expense of the entire UNT constituency.

Only someone who has had the attitude of "low expections" ingrained in their brains would want to see UNT Athletics continue in its present form with most every varsity coach we have up there operating under .500 after several years to do otherwise. (Hey, folks, we are hardly in the Big 12 up there with our level of competition which should have any coach operating at an above .500 clip; although, I still think Coach Jones will eventually do well in basketball and also believe has has the talent and ability to take this up a knotch, too. Just my .02 on NT basketball, though.

I guess I am just a glutton for my own self punishment even talking about all this cause it pains me to see what's happening and how many of us feel the best we will ever do will still not get us any Top 25 votes in football..

So like many of you, I am. too, just none too pleased with those who have taken away what used to be many of ours "high profile" dreams at NORTH TEXAS at an NCAA D1-A level. Do any of you have an appreciation for those who would play a significant part in taking away your own dreams (whatever those may be)?

Our young gun alums have no idea what the hell many of us are talking about with all this and will never (under present conditions) be able to wake up some Sunday morning, get a Dallas Morning News SportsPage and read how our Mean Green rocked the entire college football world with an upset of the University of Tennessee (and other similar high profile schools we have kicked some butt in an era long past).

I do look forward to the eventual changes that will come at UNT and our getting back on the high road with NT athetics. This will happen because things just cannot continue as they are; but I am just as impatient as many of you with the present detour we're in the middle of and untimely delay for all this to happen for all of us (again) in Mean Green Country.

I do like the latter part of your 3'rd sentence, though, Bill.smile.gif

AND.....Bill, after I finish a 2 week training program/in-service and indoctrination type program at my job, I'll invite you over to my nice new office for some coffee (if you can slip away from your own job to do such things).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

Denton has a large history of Outlaws around it.  From Bonnie and Clyde to hideout hill now called I believe "Pilot Knob" along I-35W where outlaw gangs used to hole up and watch for the good guys.

Denton's most famous outlaw was Sam Bass, whose horse was named the "Denton Mare". He and his gang did indeed hole up on Pilot Knob, where they had a commanding view of the countryside.

Denton's most famous outlaw was Sam Bass, whose horse was named the "Denton Mare".  He and his gang did indeed hole up on Pilot Knob, where they had a commanding view of the countryside.

Back in the 50's the Campus Theater screened the 'world premiere' of "Clamity Jane & Sam Bass" starring Howard Duff & Yvonne DeCarlo. It was a big event for Denton with Duff & DeCarlo attending.

A little trivia. A young woman who's son later because a Denton County Judge, let Bass use her chicken coop as a hideaway when he was in town cool.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61

I could have sworn that Denton's most famous outlaw was Craig Helwig.  He posed as an athletic director some years ago; stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from the university (in the form of salary).

Classic! smile.gif

Denton has a large history of Outlaws around it.  From Bonnie and Clyde to hideout hill now called I believe "Pilot Knob" along I-35W where outlaw gangs used to hole up and watch for the good guys.

I have heard that Bonnie and Clyde robbed the Farmers and Merchants Bank (not sure if it has changed hands again) in Krum back in the day.