Brother take different paths

MeanGreen61

Men's basketball: Different paths

UNT’s Quincy Williams and Duke’s Shelden Williams have both launched basketball careers after playing together as brothers

09:03 AM CST on Thursday, January 26, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Shelden and Quincy Williams rarely go a day without talking about their latest win, heartbreaking loss or next opponent. It’s been that way for two years, since Quincy began playing at North Texas, the opposite end of the Division I basketball landscape from his older brother.

user posted image

North Texas sophomore forward Quincy Williams, seen here after practice at the Super Pit, is the brother of Duke senior forward Shelden Williams, who was an All-American and the national Defensive Player of the Year last season.

Shelden is a senior at Duke. The No. 2 Blue Devils have sold out their last 232 home games, television appearances come on a regular basis and making the NCAA Tournament each season seems like a foregone conclusion. Such milestones may seem far off at times for Quincy at UNT, where shooting against a backdrop of empty seats in games is the norm.

“Quincy has handled it very well,” Jeannette Williams said of the different paths her sons’ careers have taken. “He could have resented his brother, but they are the closest of friends. Quincy is just trying to find his own niche.”

That search will continue today, when the Mean Green (11-6, 4-2) take on Troy (10-7, 3-2) in a Sun Belt Conference game at the Super Pit. UNT is in the thick of the race for the West Division title and is looking to break out of a rut that has seen it finish within two games of .500 in three of the last four seasons.

No matter what happens, Quincy, 19, will be on his cellphone with Shelden a short time afterward to talk about it. Duke also plays today, at Virginia Tech.

“We are real close, basically best friends, even though we used to have fights playing one-on-one that our dad would break up,” said Quincy, a sophomore. “I attribute how close we are to my parents. We are a real strong, close family.”

Shelden was an All-American at Midwest City (Okla.) High, and he also has received that honor while at Duke. Quincy transferred from Midwest City to crosstown Carl Albert before his senior year, earned all-state honors and began to establish his own legacy.

Quincy has continued that process at UNT, where he says he has found a comfort zone far away from the spotlight his brother enjoys while playing at Duke.

“People have different paths in life,” said Shelden, 22. “Quincy’s led him to a different place. What really matters is how you play.”

Shelden, a 6-9 forward, described himself and Quincy, a 6-8 forward, as quiet off the court, and Quincy agrees with him. On the court, Shelden becomes a different person, one with a nasty disposition, and it has helped him establish himself as one of the top players in college basketball. Shelden was named the National Defensive Player of the Year last season, and he is averaging 17.6 points and 9.5 rebounds a game this season.

UNT head coach Johnny Jones is hoping Quincy develops into a similarly rugged player as he comes into his own with the Mean Green.

“I am not sure if Quincy has ever really considered himself playing in his brother’s shadow,” Jones said. “He has done an excellent job of developing his own reputation.”

Quincy has started all but two games this season and is averaging 5.3 points and 4.6 rebounds. Shelden said Quincy is capable of more … he knows from going against him for years in their backyard.

“He has a little more of a swagger when he plays against me,” Shelden said. “I hope he can become more consistent and take that against whomever he is playing.”

Quincy said he hopes to help UNT develop an environment at the Super Pit similar to what he has experienced as a fan at Duke games. Quincy attended several of his brother’s games while he was in high school, and he still makes it to Durham, N.C., a few times a year to watch Shelden play.

Duke has sold out every game at Cameron Indoor Stadium since Nov. 16, 1990, and plays in front of enthusiastic crowds of more than 9,000 a night. It’s a far cry from UNT, which averaged 2,285 fans at home last season and has seen that drop to 1,732 this season.

“Duke has a great atmosphere, great facility, great coach and a great team. … Everyone dreams,” Quincy said, of playing in front of the packed houses in the Atlantic Coast Conference. “But as long as I am playing the game I love, where I play really doesn’t matter.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mal address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

Edited by MeanGreen61

Duke has sold out every game at Cameron Indoor Stadium since Nov. 16, 1990, and plays in front of enthusiastic crowds of more than 9,000 a night. It’s a far cry from UNT, which averaged 2,285 fans at home last season and has seen that drop to 1,732 this season.

And Rick thinks he promtes basketball enough and did a good job of promoting the SBC tournament.

Numbers speak louder than promises.

Edited by GreenBat

And Rick thinks he promtes basketball enough and did a good job of promoting the SBC tournament.

With as many students as we have on and around campus these days, we have got to find a way to get them out. It's really sad that we can't get at LEAST 3k out of the student body every single game. I guess that we just need more promotions and promoting to make the games a true campus event.

I think that we would be seeded too high for Duke, which is a good thing, so I guess we would have to actually pull off a couple of tournament wins for that matchup to have any chance at all of happening.

Be real! If we somehow make the tournament, we'll be a 15 or 16 seed. And Duke will either be a 1 or 2.

We were 1 and done last year, when we hosted the tournament. To expect a win in the NCAA Tournament is F'n ridiculous. Expecting to make the tournament is almost as ridiculous.

Be real! If we somehow make the tournament, we'll be a 15 or 16 seed. And Duke will either be a 1 or 2.

We were 1 and done last year, when we hosted the tournament. To expect a win in the NCAA Tournament is F'n ridiculous. Expecting to make the tournament is almost as ridiculous.

If we somehow won six of our last nine (or close to it) we could be a 19 or 20 win team with an SBC tourney championship. That would likely give us a #14/#15 seed. Duke is most likely a #1 seed. If we blow the rest of the season and then pull out the SBC tourney, then yes we would have a chance to play Duke in the first round with a #16 seed.

If you think that expecting to win the SBC tournament is ridiculous, then you need to follow another team. I don't see anyone in the SBC that is clearly surperior to us, and I think that we have as good a chance as anyone to pull that off.

Also, no one is saying that we're going to pull off a win in the NCAA tourney. That would be dreaming, but stranger things have happened especially if we avoided a #1 seed. This team definitely has talent but has trouble consistently closing out big games. A little more height and experience wouldn't hurt either. Wilmington and maybe Arizona State are the only teams that have kicked our butts this year. I'd say pure talent and depth wise, this is one of the better teams ever at NT.

Once again an uneducated comment from the cheap seats. It's a shame that the writer who wrote the story didn't clarify or bother to note that the attendance number for last year was for the whole year. The attendance he used for this year included games up only up until now which included all games over the holidays when everyone was gone. The number was lower last year for this period.

Isn't ironic that our staff promoted good enough the past four days to have over 4,000 tonight. I will reiterate that my staff does that all the time but it also takes wins and committed people to fill seats. We would have one more but I noticed you weren't there and haven't been all season. As I said the other night some people will find the negative in everything. Thank goodness you're in the minority.

By the way Green Bat isn't it funny how people that have worked in the same profession think so much alike.

Once again an uneducated comment from the cheap seats. It's a shame that the  writer who wrote the story didn't clarify or bother to note that the attendance number for last year was for the whole year. The attendance he used for this year included games up only up until now which included all games over the holidays when everyone was gone. The number was lower last year for this period.

Isn't ironic that our staff promoted good enough the past four days to have over 4,000 tonight. I will reiterate that my staff does that all the time but it also takes wins and committed people to fill seats. We would have one more but I noticed you weren't there and haven't been all season. As I said the other night some people will find the negative in everything. Thank goodness you're in the minority.

By the way Green Bat isn't it funny how people that have worked in the same profession think so much alike.

Just wanted to say excellent job promoting last night. Most people on this board recognize and appreciate the hard work that you and your staff have put into basketball (and of course football). It's easier to promote when you have a good product, and I'm thankful that JJ and Tina Slinker have given you guys great material to work with. Please don't let one or two bitter complainers detract from the respect you've earned from much of this board.

I'm very impressed with the fantastic attendance last night, and look forward to 5K tomorrow.

Go Mean Green!

Once again an uneducated comment from the cheap seats. It's a shame that the writer who wrote the story didn't clarify or bother to note that the attendance number for last year was for the whole year. The attendance he used for this year included games up only up until now which included all games over the holidays when everyone was gone. The number was lower last year for this period.

Rick,

I believe that "the writer" made it clear that "the number he used for this year included games up only up until now which included all games over the holidays when everyone was gone. The number was lower last year for this period." I also believe that the number of games is quite a bit different.

I would have been there on Thursday, but my attendant's sister had a stroke. To get to Denton from Lancaster in my wheelchair I would have had to leave on Tuesday. My plan is to be there on Saturday.

And in answer to your question, No I don't think it's funny that people who examine the facts come up with the same conclusion.

Don't worry, rick.. Not all of us from the cheap seats are complaining. biggrin.gif I don't think you can find a better value anywhere for your money in the $5 cheap seats. Great job Rick, I think you're doing a great job and keep up the good work. As an aside, I think the smoke and lowering of the lights was a great idea, something to keep doing.

We had good attendance for one game, and it was an awesome atmosphere for that one game. That doesn't make up for almost an entire season of poorly promoted games that had low attendance and little to no atmosphere. This goes for the past few seasons as well. Call me crazy, but I don't think it is a coincidence that we bring in a great crowd when there is finally some noticeable promotions. I'm hoping like hell that the recent flurry of promotions by the AD is how things will be from here on out, for this season and following seasons as well.

Just for the sake of argument, lets take out the games during the break when most students weren't in town. That leaves the games against Hardin Simmons, Chattanooga, Nicholls State and Denver. The average attendance for those games was 1617.5. Not too impressive, and the excuse of students being out of town can't be used for those games. I could go on about trying to promote to the Denton community and area alumni during the break to make up for out of town students, but there is really no point.

The real point is that while attendance for last night's game was great, it doesn't make up for years of weak promotion. I know there is a limited budget, but I trust that we have creative enough people working in our athletic department to make up for that fact.

There are 3 mens home games left, that should be seen as an opportunity to use effective promotions to lead to increasingly impressive crowds which would be a great first step to wards having an entire season of fun home games starting next November. There is nothing I would like to see more than this basketball program to succeed. Give it a fighting chance, please.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

OK y'all can bellyache here but it doesn't seem like the right time. I went to that game in Jonesboro the other day and it was awesome. And what a big win last night. Saturday's game is even bigger. Just everyone who can get there please do. It's a really likeable team. The've got a mad bomber on there!