How to tell what's important

greenjoe

I wish I had thought of this.

Look in your checkbook and check out the stubs of checks you've written.

You'll see things like rent, food, car payments, utility bills, gas bills, if you're a parent, you'll find tuition, clothes, etc.

You get the picture ?

Now, look and see how much you paid to North Texas to support the Athletic Dept. Whatever amount you see there, is an indication as to how important Mean Green Athletics is to you.

Now, put that in order to the other things that are important. With even the most ardent Mean Green fan, the point where support of NT Athletics hits the radar will be well down the list. But if support for NT Athletics is not on the list, well, I'd like to at least have the Mean Green make the list.

There's lots of ways to support Mean Green Athletics.

Season tickets is my favorite. If you buy tix, you'll follow your money and go to the games. And if something comes up, give your tickets to your next door neighbor. In any event, buy season tickets.

Join the Mean Green Club. This is where the real fans come out. This is a gift to Athletics. You don't expect anything back from a gift. It's a gift. Oh sure, NT will send you a thank you trinket, but the gift to athletics is just that. Don't look for anything in return.

And don't wait until things are the way yu'd like them to be.

We can't wait that long.

Treat NT Athletics like you would your own kids. You don't always like what they do, but you still love them and you still support them.

GO MEAN GREEN

Guest Aquila_Viridis

That is an excellent perspective. I would like to add that it is important to give to the university for more than just athletics. Those of us on here appreciate what an opportunity athletics provides for our university to shine. However, the university actually faces even more difficult challenges when compared by other factors. There is a more readily identifiable personal reward to us from the teams' successes, so it is easy for us to focus on athletic giving. However, please remember to give to the other departments, as I'm sure many of you do.

I mentioned the potential of North Texas on another thread, and it is not just in athletics. I would like to see North Texas nationally regarded as an outstanding institution, not just for music but in general. There is no reason that can't be achieved, but it does require ardent support.