More Ideas

Mad Hatter

1) We're the only school that starts Spring Practice as early as we do. Somehow we should try to get the media to pay some attention to it. Whether it's the freaking Channel 8 Why Guy coming out or ESPN, I'd think sombody would be ready to cover some kind of football.

2) We should do more to promote this board. I tell all my buddies, and I know ya'll do as well, but this is the main reason I'm as addicted to UNT athletics that I am. I can always get a fix.

Suggestions - Print up rosters for Spring Practice with the website at the top and hand these out to EVERYONE there. I remember from one of the scrimmages last year, I was dying to know who some of the players were.

Do some kind of Flyer or something and pass them out or hang them up in the Dorms. The students are the ones we really need to get pumped about our programs, since they have the best access to all the events.

I sorely wish that spring practice didn't start so early for the football team. By the time the spring game rolls around it's still somewhat cold outside during the night, and it's right before spring break. Around this time most students aren't thinking about attending a spring game at 6 pm on the Thursday before spring break, they are thinking about packing to get out of town for a week. And being on a Thursday most alums can't really plan anything around the spring game either. The AD could do so much if spring practice started after spring break. This way the spring game could be held on a April Saturday afternoon, with a whole day of festivities for the fans. Most DIA programs use the spring game to really sell the program to fans, students, and potential fans. But oviously Coach Dickey runs the show and this is how he chooses to do it.

Edited by NTEagle08

Why would you want to promote this board?

I didn't know our mindless jabbering was the attraction.

I'm all for increased fan promotions, but again why Spring Practice?

Spring practice only appeals to the hardcore fans, so why increase effrots to preach to the chior.

We could be concentrating our efforts on what we has fans can do to improve the game day experience and get the word out.

I sorely wish that spring practice didn't start so early for the football team. By the time the spring game rolls around it's still somewhat cold outside during the night, and it's right before spring break. Around this time most students aren't thinking about attending a spring game at 6 pm on the Thursday before spring break, they are thinking about packing to get out of town for a week. And being on a Thursday most alums can't really plan anything around the spring game either. The AD could do so much if spring practice started after spring break. This way the spring game could be held on a April Saturday afternoon, with a whole day of festivities for the fans. Most DIA programs use the spring game to really sell the program to fans, students, and potential fans. But oviously Coach Dickey runs the show and this is how he chooses to do it.

I dont know what the reason is for having the spring game on a thursday night, but I can guarantee I, and many others, would make it up to a Saturday evening game if it was a gameday atmosphere, with tailgating, etc. That would be worthwhile to me. As is, a Thursday night game is hard for people to make that live in the metroplex, much less outside of it, like myself and many others on this board.

I dont know about the effectiveness of your suggestions, madhatter, but I do think its great you are posting things like this on the board to get peoples minds working as to what we can do to help promote our school. It is something we, the constituents must own up to, I agree with RV 100% on that.

Well, I can't get too mad at DD for wanting to get an early start on practices. With the way the team played last season, and considering how long it took the team to "gel," if we could start in December I'd be happy. However, I think providing rosters for fans at practices is a great idea. Although you're not going to get much more than the hardcore fan to attend Spring Practice, you can really butter up the hardcore fans and give them something worth promoting to the masses.

I definitely think a meet and greet from the football team would be a great idea. It's much more meaningful for even the casual fan if you have the opportunity to put a face with a jersey and talk to the person in real life. I thoroughly enjoyed the Mean Green BBQ last year, and it really motivated me to learn more about the players I met. Also, I think it's great for the players to meet their fans and learn who (and what) they're playing for. So many of the fans truly love North Texas, and their enthusiasm I think can be an inspiration for some players.

I'd love to see more events that get women involved in football. As one of the few girls who I think actually reads the board, it would be nice to get more women involved. Think of this from the guy's perspective: if your wife/girlfriend becomes as fanatic about football as you are, you can actually attend more events! DD's Football 101 is a great start, but I think maybe promoting other events to get women involved would be a great thing. Plus, it'd be nice to not get so overwhelmed with testosterone every now and then. biggrin.gif Once female involvement reaches a certain level, I think it'd be a great thing to have a board that concentrates more on women's involvement and membership. Clinics followed by "Men versus Women" games and mixers would be a great way to promote more involvement.

Just some thoughts...

Why would you want to promote this board?

I didn't know our mindless jabbering was the attraction.

I'm all for increased fan promotions, but again why Spring Practice?

Spring practice only appeals to the hardcore fans, so why increase effrots to preach to the chior.

We could be concentrating our efforts on what we has fans can do to improve the game day experience and get the word out.

The reason to promote the board is for the casual fan that all of a sudden realizes they can find out EVERYTHING that's going on with the program, it's strengths and weaknesses and how they can help. Personally I was a casual fan at best, until I stumbled across this board. Maybe we (the fans) shouldn't be in charge of promoting GMG.com, but it'd be a good idea for Harry and the others.

Spring practices are a BIG deal at other schools. The scrimmages draw large crowds. If I didn't get on the board to find out the dates, I wouldn't have the slightese clue they were going on.

Fox Sports SW sends crews out to the Big 12 and (I think) TCU spring practices, that's where the idea came from.

Personally I was a casual fan at best, until I stumbled across this board.

*The* reason this board exists.

Maybe we (the fans) shouldn't be in charge of promoting GMG.com, but it'd be a good idea for Harry and the others. 

Word of mouth is some of the best advertising around, and the only one gmg.com can afford smile.gif

PS: I was away from the board for a while, but I am back now, if you sent me a PM over the last month or two, expect a reply soon.

I guess we differ on the defination of "casual" fan. I tend to think people on this message board are more than casual fans.

I'm also not sure a Spring anything does much for the casual fan.

The Fall pep rally could have more of a meet and greet feel and that might help attendence.

As far as more things for women, how about a wet-t shirt contest. Those usually involve women.

I dont know what the reason is for having the spring game on a thursday night, but I can guarantee I, and many others, would make it up to a Saturday evening game if it was a gameday atmosphere, with tailgating, etc. That would be worthwhile to me. As is, a Thursday night game is hard for people to make that live in the metroplex, much less outside of it, like myself and many others on this board.

I dont know about the effectiveness of your suggestions, madhatter, but I do think its great you are posting things like this on the board to get peoples minds working as to what we can do to help promote our school. It is something we, the constituents must own up to, I agree with RV 100% on that.

I like that idea, and a spring scrimmage tailgating would make my day. A little tune-up for the fall. Don't take it too far just food you can eat by hand; burgers, beer soaked bratwurst, tamales, brisket, ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, Bundy Bites, Deer nuggets, etc..

&

Beer!!!!

There will probably be some long Saturday scrimmages like last year (3-4 hours long!). However, DD likes to end spring practice just before UNT's spring break. DD said it gives the players spring break off knowing practice is done, allows them to just be students for the rest of the semester, and allows for more time to heal from injuries if any before fall camp.

I as well was more of a casual fan before getting involved with this board. even though I followed the team I never really encouraged anyone to go to the games or felt bad when I didnt go. promoting this board is very important, and I think that we should get somthing together to promote it at the games.

Would it be worth the Athletic Dept's time/money to maybe hand out some kind of flyer at the basketball games with the Spring Practice Schedule on it? If they would change the Spring game to a Saturday instead of a Thursday night, I'm SURE they'd get a bigger crowd and could do some kind of Tailgating atmosphere.

They will have several scrimmages on Saturday mornings. Could we encourage tailgating for immediatley following?

Would it be worth the Athletic Dept's time/money to maybe hand out some kind of flyer at the basketball games with the Spring Practice Schedule on it?  If they would change the Spring game to a Saturday instead of a Thursday night, I'm SURE they'd get a bigger crowd and could do some kind of Tailgating atmosphere.

They will have several scrimmages on Saturday mornings.  Could we encourage tailgating for immediatley following?

Only problem is that scrimmages and practices really only appeal to the hard core fan. There is no structure to them and you really have to be out there to want to watch the team go through drills. At least with the spring game there is structure to it, and there is a 4 quarter football mentality put to it so there is appeal to the casual fan. I can probably assume the farthest the AD would take promoting practices would be to post a schedule on the athletic website.

With moving the spring game to a saturday, that would mean that they would have to cut spring ball short, start spring ball even earlier, or play the spring game on the saturday to start spring break. Pretty much bottom line with how "spring" practice is conducted by Coach Dickey it's hard to sell a Thursday night spring game the week before spring break.