DRC on new committments, Another new name

OldTimer

Football: Three commit to Mean Green football

DT Santiago, OL Foster, DL Menard all choose UNT

07:13 AM CST on Monday, January 23, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Hearing about the history of standout defensive linemen at North Texas over the weekend was enough to convince one of El Paso’s best players to make his home in Denton for the next four years.

Esteban Santiago, a 6-3, 283-pound two-way standout for Coronado High, visited UNT over the weekend and decided to play for the Mean Green. Santiago had a scholarship offer from New Mexico State and received interest from Missouri and UTEP.

The Miners’ coaches wanted Santiago to stay in his hometown and go to UTEP for a semester before accepting a scholarship in the spring.

Santiago is expected to play defensive tackle for UNT.

“North Texas has a program with a deep history,” Santiago said. “They also take education very seriously, which is important to me and my family. … I am excited to be a part of the tradition at a school with players like ‘Mean’ Joe Greene and Brandon Kennedy.”

Santiago was one of three players to orally commit to UNT on Sunday after taking official visits to the school over the weekend. The Mean Green also picked up commitments from offensive lineman Nick Foster of Allen and defensive lineman Matt Menard of Houston Westfield.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 1.

Santiago played on both the offensive and defensive lines at Coronado. He earned honorable mention Class 5A All-State honors from The Associated Press as an offensive lineman.

Santiago was also a first-team All-District 5-5A selection and a member of the El Paso Times’ all-city team.

“I think he will fare well at the Division I level,” Coronado coach Don Brooks said. “He is a tough kid and has the disposition you need. He was one of the best players in El Paso this year.”

While Santiago decided to move hundreds of miles from his El Paso home, Foster committed to UNT in part because it’s just down the road from Allen, where he earned first-team All-District 8-5A honors.

Foster, 6-3, 330, was scheduled to visit Colorado State this weekend and was confident he would get an offer from the Rams. He passed on that opportunity and cancelled his trip to Fort Collins, Colo., to play for the Mean Green.

“UNT is close, so my parents will be able to see me play,” Foster said. “Coach [Darrell] Dickey has done great things at UNT. I want to contribute to UNT getting back to where it was when it was winning the Sun Belt.”

UNT won four straight titles before falling to 2-9 last season.

Menard helped lead Westfield to an 11-1 overall record, including a 4-0 mark in district play.

The addition of Santiago, Foster and Menard gives UNT 12 oral commitments heading into its final official visit weekend beginning on Friday.

“I think he will fare well at the Division I level,” Coronado coach Don Brooks said. “He is a tough kid and has the disposition you need. He was one of the best players in El Paso this year.”

I like the disposition part of this qoute.

While Santiago decided to move hundreds of miles from his El Paso home, Foster committed to UNT in part because it’s just down the road from Allen, where he earned first-team All-District 8-5A honors.

Foster, 6-3, 330, was scheduled to visit Colorado State this weekend and was confident he would get an offer from the Rams. He passed on that opportunity and cancelled his trip to Fort Collins, Colo., to play for the Mean Green. ...

Ok, let me be the first to say "Way to go Coach Ramone Flanigan".

Rick