Clayton George

SilverEagle

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/high_school/13670041.htm

Former Carroll aide a finalist at Haltom

By ANTHONY ANDROSTAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Former Carroll assistant coach Clayton George is among the five finalists for the Haltom head football coaching vacancy.

George, who has been the coach at Dallas Hillcrest the last two seasons, was the offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach at Carroll and had worked with Carroll coach Todd Dodge for 10 years. He left Carroll in March 2004.

Head coaches Mike Coker (Galena Park), Bob Bellard (San Angelo Central) and Buddy Griffin (Jefferson) and Marcus assistant James Randall are the other finalists.

Bellard is 19-17 at San Angelo Central and has been to the playoffs in each of his three seasons. Galena Park is 16-4 in its last two seasons under Coker. Last year, Griffin guided Jefferson to the second round of the 3A playoffs, where it lost to eventual state champion Tatum.

The list was pared from an initial list of 43 applicants. Athletic director Willa Gipson began interviewing finalists Wednesday. Gipson told the Star-Telegram in December that she hoped to have a candidate in place for the Jan. 26 school board meeting.

The Haltom job opened when Kenny Perry left after two seasons to take the Arlington Bowie job. The Buffalos were 5-5 last season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this the same "money-in-the-bank" receiver from North Texas (I believe he would be #14 on your program) that played with Mitch Maher in the early 90's? If so, has the University developed this potential resource to help us with recruiting?

If this is the same guy, then I would think that the ex-letterman's association might want to contact him and basically say "how about keeping us apprised about any talent in your program".

Does the ex-lettermen's association try and make contacts like that for the University? Because the University certainly needs all the help they can get in the area of recruitment.

Anyway, if this is the same Clayton George from North Texas, then I certainly hope that he gets the Haltom job.

Edited by SilverEagle

First let me say that I'm not saying it is right or wrong. It is just the way DD cares to recruit. They do not recruit this area very well. They do not use resources that are there for them. Do you realize how many Lettermen are either high school coaches or AD in this area much less the state? Or have been in one of those positions? They do not contact them at all. The High School Coaches Association is a big Frat (even if they are retired). So coaches that have a good relationship with one another help each others kids out in some instances. Most colleges know what is in the pipeline at most schools, Soph., Jrs., etc. NT does not because they do not talk with area high school coaches. That gives other universities a leg up. High School coaches are always looking for any way to help their kids. They inquire if said coach has an in at the university? All NT lettemen/coaches have to tell them no.

A perfect example. Sometime back, on this board the question was asked why we do not get many transfers from other colleges. Most kids transfer to schools that had interest in them during high school or a school that their high school coach recommends. NT probably never talked to them in high school.

I could go on, but you get the jest.

ohmy.gif

First let me say that I'm not saying it is right or wrong.  It is just the way DD cares to recruit.  They do not recruit this area very well.  They do not use resources that are there for them.  Do you realize how many Lettermen are either high school coaches or AD in this area much less the state?  Or have been in one of those positions?  They do not contact them at all.  The High School Coaches Association is a big Frat (even if they are retired).  So coaches that have a good relationship with one another help each others kids out in some instances.  Most colleges know what is in the pipeline at most schools, Soph., Jrs., etc.  NT does not because they do not talk with area high school coaches.  That gives other universities a leg up.  High School coaches are always looking for any way to help their kids.  They inquire if said coach has an in at the university?   All NT lettemen/coaches have to tell them no.

A perfect example.  Sometime back, on this board the question was asked why we do not get many transfers from other colleges.  Most kids transfer to schools that had interest in them during high school or a school that their high school coach recommends.  NT probably never talked to them in high school. 

I could go on, but you get the jest.

ohmy.gif

Holy Crap! This is worse than I thought.

In this age of cyber-communication there is even less excuse to not maintain contacts with coaches, especially ex-North Texas graduates, then ever before. Good God, sending e-mails out to various coaches in the state is something than an intern could do. geeezzzz. sad.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

I see what you're saying. More of an issue of "rapport" than "reputation."

If you want to look for a reason why NT doesn't get enough general fan interest in DFW, lack of local recruiting is has to be one of them. If we had more local hometown high school heroes on our roster, seems like more people from those hometowns would show up at our games.

Edited by pollock

I see what you're saying.  More of an issue of "rapport" than "reputation."

If you want to look for a reason why NT doesn't get enough general fan interest in DFW, lack of local recruiting is has to be one of them.  If we had more local hometown high school heroes on our roster, seems like more people from those hometowns would show up at our games.

Well, the rapport with UNT's alumni base in DFW is about as bad. For a school that wants to be the leading University of the Metroplex it falls short on communication with what would be some of it's best supporters. For the coaching staff to ignore the metroplex and it's own coaching connections is just poor and another reason changes must be made. mad.gif

Maybe with all the negatives surrounding North Texas football and apparent lack of any visible positives, a review might show that it's just time to "pull the plug" and do away with the aggravation (tic)ph34r.gif

MG61, I think a review of this upcoming recruiting class would be a very sensible thing to do & with the one who would be doing the review being one who would have no connection to anyone on the UNT payroll.

Fact of the matter is that whoever we sign next month will most likely stand a high chance of being coached by a completely different coaching staff than the one they were recruited by.

STILL PROBABLY A LITTLE KNOWN FACT TO SOME BUT............both of DD's 2 predecessors, ie, ex NT head football coaches Dennis Parker and Matt Simon were both released from their contracts at UNT almost immediately following each of their last recruiting hauls in MG Country (several weeks after football season had ended, of course). So this has been done before (and even at UNT believe it or not).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Fact of the matter is that whoever we sign next month will most likely stand a high chance of being coached by a completely different coaching staff than the one they were recruited by.

Now exactly on what do you base this tidbit of info on; SWAG ? ph34r.gif

PS: (tic) = tongue-in-cheek. ph34r.gif Just seems that there's a 'can you top this' negative posting contest on the board right now. sad.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61

PS: (tic) = tongue-in-cheek. ph34r.gif  Just seems that there's a 'can you top this' negative posting contest on the board right now.  sad.gif

a LOT of frustration now carried over from last season. no sign of anything improving or changing anytime in the near future. if you know of something to be happy about re UNT football or the direction of it feel free to tell us/

Now exactly on what do you base this tidbit of info on; SWAG ? ph34r.gif

PS: (tic) = tongue-in-cheek. ph34r.gif   Just seems that there's a 'can you top this' negative posting contest on the board right now.  sad.gif

[/quote

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

AGAIN, MUCH TOO LONG, BUT DAMMIT FELLOW NT EXES & MG FANS, SOMEONE PLEASE LIST FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE GENUINE CONCERNS WHY WE SHOULD BE EXCITED ABOUT OUR FOOTBALL FUTURE IN MEAN GREEN COUNTRY. WE ARE ALL EARS & OPEN TO REASONABLE & REALISTIC REASONS AS TO WHY...........

How about 8 years of a coaching career at UNT and still about 16 games under .500 for starters? I think all the rest of his shortcomings have been well defined and documented. I guess he is gaining the sympathy vote now (with what I would say is a diminishing few).

Many of us used to be the proud alums of a school that wanted to do better than what we are doing (while some alums kid themselves with all this fake success that no one outside UNT seems to agree was success at all--especially among the better Texas HS "would be" recruits for UNT); and many of us used to be proud of beating schools that most of us have heard of most our lives, rather than schools that we haven't heard of most our lives that victories over those schools (in deed) got us 4 bowl games (but no Top 25 ranking).

But some sorta' look at their NT FB media guides now to discover that there were probably about 3 Big Easy bowls we most likely would not have gone to had Troy U and Florida Atlantic U been charter members of the SBC beginning back in 2001. And for a most recent perspective on that, FAU did (after all) beat us the last year we went to a bowl game, ie, 2004 PLUS they beat us at our house, ie Fouts Field.sad.gif

MG61, just being curious as you've been around all this much longer than myself, but could you hint to some of us just what is the hook that still has a hardy handful (NT staffers and their families, I suppose) still behind all this "SBC/Bottom 10/no where close to Top 25" DDickey-led football program? A program that some presume the philosophy has been planted from campus to a few administrators of this board that one is negative if they question anything about what they are doing at UNT, and at the top of their list is if one even questions the 8 year record of our head football coach? But I do think there are many who believe much of this being posted s hardly negative at all, but are merely facts that any 2005 NT Football Media Guide would point out to those who would only dare to take off their green tinted glasses for just a few minutes to check out some of the bare facts.

If we don't express our concerns with this present group of NT leaders who seem hardly connected to that part of the UNT contituency that they would like to see help fill Fouts Field on Game Days---------if we don't express our displeasure to UNT leaders with our concerns about coaches who get to hang around our alma mater 17 years and still have a program under .500 who will still get a new contract by most likely one who is trying to leave UNT and won't be around to see the fullfulment of such a NCAA D1-A contract (but for damn sure NT Exes will be around).

Anyway, if we don't express our opinions as alums of UNT then just how in the hell else are this present group in Denton ever going to know why the Mean Green Nation is split right down the middle because of decisions that they have been making of late concering our head football coach? A head football coach (and commodity since this is a business, you know) that is going to be one helluva' tough sell to new customers (and I fear now even many veteran) customers come season ticket selling time this upcoming summer.

I know you are one of our best and most loyal, MG61, and that you live down off the Gulf Coast of Texas many hours away, but are you yourself even really so inspired to come watch even one game during this upcoming 9'th year of Dickey Ball with what we all saw last Fall? What we all saw? How about what was basically the culmination of the last 2-3 years of recruiting and how those last 2-3 recruiting classes (with undoubtedly some talent but just not enough to spread around) show-cased themselves with 2 wins and 2 (what I call very "tell tell") losses to schools such as Tulsa and La Tech). 2 schools that we thought our 4 bowl games in a row (even as an SBC champ) had our football program a light year or 2 ahead. Well........we all found out together that that was not the case.

............................................................................................................

QUESTION................How does a football program that has been to 4 bowl games in a row and one that any outsiders (or 2006 Texas HS recruits) would think have some real momentum working for itself because of that; anyway, how does such a program suddenly find itself w/o enough talent to even be competitive in the low rung league of NCAA D1-A, ie, the SBC; how does a program go so quickly to the bottom of a conference like the 5 year old Sun Belt Conference (which will never be confused with the the MAC or even the WAC now); anyway, just how does all this go south in just one year at the level we compete?wink.gif To quote eulesseagle in one of his posts earlier today: JUST WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

.............................................................................................................

We can do better at North Texas and most of you who've been around know we can. We can also do better at a Top 25 level, too, IOHO's (in our humble opinions). And we can do this with even higher paid NT athletic staffers who don't kick our NT Exes, Mean Green fans and paying customer's in the arse on the public Metroplex radio airwaves at every opportunity.

In fact, I think it only natural that (now) many would be concerned with what we are observing in Denton, because this just simply would not be acceptable at most of the other 119 NCAA D1-A schools. Many of us now just want to know why it is at ours?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen