Vince Young going Pro

And then we have this.

UT should have no QB worries

By JOHN MILLERStar-Telegram Staff WriterSAN ANTONIO --

Should Vince Young leave Texas for the NFL, Jevan Snead feels like he's ready to take over as quarterback of the Longhorns.

The former Stephenville quarterback gave no reason Saturday for people to doubt him.

Snead was the most effective quarterback that played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, throwing two touchdowns for the West team, which lost 27-16 to the East team at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

"This game really gave a boost to my confidence," Snead said. "Anytime you can go out and do well against these great athletes, it can only help your confidence."

Snead finished the game 7-of-16, which included several dropped passes, for a game-high 133 yards and the only passing touchdowns of the game. The West had 11 first downs in the game, with Snead at quarterback for nine of them.

"He's just got a good look in his eye when he plays football, and I like it," said Carroll coach Todd Dodge, an assistant for the West and a former Texas quarterback. "He had a great week working. I'm a little biased, but I'm real proud he had a good game because he's a Longhorn."

Snead will enroll at Texas for the spring semester and heads there full of momentum after his successful showing against the best-of-the-best of high school football.

He displayed a wide array of passes.

He showed off his arm strength with a 40-yard bomb while on the run. And he showed he could pass with touch, with both of his touchdown passes coming on timing patterns.

"He was the best of the quarterbacks," said West wide receiver Deon Beasley, who has also committed to Texas. "He got the ball there on time, threw it on the money and didn't overthrow many balls. He made great decisions on big third-down and fourth-down plays. He's a very smart athlete."

Snead came into the game on the fourth series for the West after starter Mitch Mustain of Springdale, Ark., was ineffective on the first three drives.

That changed on Snead's first possession as the West picked up its first first down. But the drive stalled, in part due to a bad pitch from Snead that led to an 8-yard loss.

Snead made up for his mistake on his second possession as the West quickly moved the ball down the field. Snead even picked up a first down with a 10-yard run on a zone-read play, which Texas utilized often with Young.

Facing a third-and-10 at the East 22-yard line, Snead connected with Beasley in the end zone to tie the game at 7-7.

"It was one of many touchdown catches between me and Snead," Beasley said. "We've got four more years of that. It really didn't surprise me because it worked all week."

Snead took over the West offense on the third drive in the second half and again effectively moved the offense. He threw for 101 yards in the second half, finishing the game with a 9-yard touchdown pass to Terrence Austin on fourth down with 1:35 left in the game that brought the West to within 27-16.

"I'm extremely pleased with my performance," Snead said. "That was fun, and now I'm extremely excited to be going [to Texas]."

U.S. ARMY ALL-AMERICAN BOWL EAST 27, WEST 16

I think its well known that Mack is a great recruiter, but not a great gameday coach.

Someone must be coaching down in Austin. I have never liked Mack Brown but if he the recruiter and has his coaches coach that works for me.

I absolutely love when people totally subtract the talent level of athletes from their baseless comparisons.

It should work out about the same, for a school that competes to stay in the top 10 to one that competes in the bottom 10.