You Are The GM

UNTLifer

And both Young and Bush declare for the draft.  Who do you pick, Young, Bush, someone else and why.

I still say Reggie Bush. But in Houston, I hope Bob McNair isn't forced his hand to pick Vince Young. I can just see it now that if Young does declare and the Texans pick Reggie Bush there are going to be alot of pissed Texans fans, who just a few days ago were wanting Reggie Bush.

I think the New Orleans Saints will have the big decision to make on whether to draft Leinart or Young with the 2nd pick.

Being a Texans fan, I want to see the #5 jersey on the field next year with Reggie Bush. I think given a offensive minded coach, Carr can do something at the QB position.

Edited by NTEagle08

I offer Mr. Young a LOT of money to go pro.

Vince may have acted less than mature after the Heisman ceremony......but he was right about being the best.

Everyone went crazy over that Bush run, (and dive into the end zone) that two other Texas backs (#25 & #11) could probably have duplicated.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Young's offensive totals were pretty close to the same as Linert's (sp?) and Bush's combined.

To my knowledge the most successful running QB in the pros has been MVick. I think VY is probably better than he is, but UT already proved you can't expect VY to be a drop back passer. Therefore, VY will have to run an offense similar to what Vick is in and there are not a whole lot of NFL teams that do that offense.

At the same time, I he made good passes tonight, but I am not convinced that he throws the ball hard enough to make a great passer in the NFL. I wouldn't take him - to many unknowns.

Houston has first pick...

----Doubt that Houston will but in my opinion I think they should trade off their #1 pick for a bunch of picks or good active players. . Carr and Dominic Davis are adequate.... if they actually had a good offensive line that they would give them time to throw or holes to run through. Adding Vince or Bush will not turn that program around.... they have more need for linemen and some defenseive help. NO will likely pick a QB and the Jets need a RB to replace Martin. Who knows about therir QB situation, Pennington back or not. GB doesn't want a QB 9used first rd last year for one) and SF wants a RB (they picked a QB 1st Rd as well..

---NO now is also replacing a coach, so is Green Bay and the Jets may be too. Who knows what will happen in those places. As far as goes so is Houston.

---I don't really expect it but Houston should trade their pick to someone in the top 10 "pickers" and get extra picks in later rounds or an addition first round next year. Arizona (#10) is really needing an RB and may be willed to give up several picks since their QB and WR situation is very good. [Fitzgerald and Boldin with Warner and McCown as QBs].

---Example: we (UNT) had two outstandng RBs and some repectable receivers but we did not win because the linemen did not produce holes or give the QB time to throw. Since the offence could not maintain drives the defense just wore out eventually which made it look even worse that it really was.

---Back to the question, Vince, Bush or Leinart....each team needs to look at what they have and what they need. If a team has a lot of good receivers, Leinart, if not Vince. Bush if the RB situation is bad at this time. Not a simple question or answer.

----------

I suppose you realize we play the national Champion, Texas, next. Hope Vince goes pro.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

This is a joke, right? Bush, for sure. You don't need a great QB to win in the NFL.

Further, Vince Young only knows a few plays anyway. There's no way he learns an entire NFL playbook. He was dicey at Texas until he convinced Mack and the offensive coordinator to just let him do what he wanted, playbook be damned.

Vince Young will be Michael Vick, Part II: a marketing dream for NFL jersey-sellers who makes plays now and then with his feet, but eventually fails to take his teams to the playoffs because the NFL defenses are too fast to simply chuck a playbook out the window and have a QB ad lib.

And, please, Dear Lord, please don't let the Cowboys waste a pick on him.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

---If Vince is available this year, he will not still be on the board at pick 18 which is the Cowboy's position. Dallas will not trade up to get him. Vince to me is an unusual player and a total "Crapshoot' as a QB. Parcell would never want him, not his style. The defensive players in the NFL are much faster and better trained than in the NCAA. Vince is likely better than Vick but how well as Atlanta with Vick really done against GOOD NFL teams... they failed to make the playoffs this year. Running QBs do not do all that well in the NFL , the best ones have all been the drop back and throw types like Brady, Aikman, Montana, Young, and Manning although there have several like Favre and Staubach that could scramble and throw..... even then none of the great or successful QBs have ever been running (not just scrambling) QBs.

--- A lot of great college players fail in the NFL and a lot of great NFL QBs weren't that great in college because of the talent that surrounded them and offensive style that was played there. Vince will be interesting in the NFL especially to a team with medocre receivers [like Atlanta] who uses a tight end more than anyone else. The Atlanta TE (Crumpler) is used so much because he is the closest when Vick figures out he can't run and can't find anyone else while running around.

Depends if you already have a Qb or not. The Texans already do.

Personally I would do anything possible to get VY.

How about the Cowboys just go ahead and trade this years entire draft picks for the 2nd pick and then get VY?

If I'm the Texans I either take Bush or trade to fill needs.

If I'm the Saints. I want Leinhart.

Oh my!!  Some nof you youngsters need to go on line and look up FRAN TARKENTON.

---I am very aware of him..... He was a scrambling QB, and very good one, but he always thought --throw first..... not run. He threw for 47,000 yards (#5 all-time on the total yard list) and is a member of the NFL hall of fame. He also threw for 342 TDs which is third on the all-time list behind Marino and Favre. He was rather small and short for a QB and was in no way a running QB, he just ran when he had to and was good at scrambling around and could throw on the run..... Because of his size he used a lot of rollouts and he often threw underhanded and even backhanded when lineman had their hands high in the air. He was fun to watch as a Viking and at NY. He is even #7 on the completions list.

---He is not really considered a running QB, just one who scrambled to get away and usually threw after escaping. He is likely the best scrambling QB of all time, he drove defenses crazy and left defensive lineman bent over sucking wind. Running by the QB to make yards was never a big part of his teams plan, as small as he was, the defenses would have killed him....

---There are no similiarities between Fran and Vince except both play QB. Vince runs for yards, Fran ran to escape and then throw although he did make a lot of yards running at times, but not on purpose.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

rumor is that the Texans might be able to get a few first and second round picks in exchange for Bush. If that is a the case, I wouldnt take Bush or Leinart.

Young would be intriguing if he came out, given the fact he grew up in Houston. But I dont see him coming out this year. He improved dramatically in his passing game from 2004 to 2005. Another year could do wonders for his draft stock as a QB.

And I wouldnt say the Texans are set on keeping Carr as their main guy. Granted the O-line has been abysmal, he hangs on to the ball too long and makes a lot of bad throws.

rumor is that the Texans might be able to get a few first and second round picks in exchange for Bush. If that is a the case, I wouldnt take Bush or Leinart.

Young would be intriguing if he came out, given the fact he grew up in Houston. But I dont see him coming out this year. He improved dramatically in his passing game from 2004 to 2005. Another year could do wonders for his draft stock as a QB.

And I wouldnt say the Texans are set on keeping Carr as their main guy. Granted the O-line has been abysmal, he hangs on to the ball too long and makes a lot of bad throws.

Wonder how many quality offensive linemen the Texans could get for that pick?

Some mock drafts have him #3 overall meaning he is the #2 QB. Not a lot of room for improvement there is there? I hope all the JRs and SRs at UT declare for the draft since NT opens there next year!! biggrin.gif

This is a joke, right?  Bush, for sure.  You don't need a great QB to win in the NFL. 

Whoa! Do I disagree with that statement.

This may surprise some, but if I'm the GM of the Houston Texans I take SC quarterback Matt Leinart, put Carr on the trading block with the intent of using the trade to get a couple of good ofensive lineman. To me, Leinart is a pro-typical QB that is going to be the next NFL franchise maker.

Don't get me wrong, Vince Young is exceptional. Young will do well in the NFL, but for how long? I just don't think he will make those runs in the NFL and live to talk about it. NFL linebackers and DB's are light years apart from the college variety.

Reggie Bush

Speed, acceleration, vision, agility, soft hands. Best player in the draft.

Vince Young is a great player but won't be as successful as Mike Vick. Vick was a better passer and runner in college.

cool.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

Has anyone noticed how much the USC passing attack looks like the NFL?

Typical college passing is a lot of inside slants with very hard cuts to the middle. A much easier catch for the receivers and an easy read for the QB.

USC sends its receivers out at full speed with a very shallow slant to the middle. A tougher catch to make and a harder read because you've got a bigger chance that downfield help is coming. The QB has to evaluate further down the field because an open receiver is going to be several yards downfield when the ball arrives.

If Leinhart busts in the NFL it won't be the fault of his college coaches.

i think the decision about vince may be one of the toughest ones ever. he obviously has incredible talent, but to me his game is based on escaping the "sure" tackles. how well can he do that against the likes of ray lewis or dwight freeney? the bad thing for houston mgmt is the fear of passing on a potentially great player who grew up in your own back yard. they'd never get over that!

i agree with some others, if i'm the texans, i try to trade the pick. carr and davis are good enough to get you places. you need help on the line and the whole defense.