Instant Replay

FireFightnJoey

The only thing I could think about during the entire UT v USC game was "are they gonna review that too?"

The amount of reviews really slowed this game down. The last review where it was obvious the UT receiver was down was pathetic. I could hear Mac Brown saying, "thanks for the time out". I don't think it really affected the outcome of the game though.

The only thing I could think about during the entire UT v USC game was "are they gonna review that too?"

The amount of reviews really slowed this game down.  The last review where it was obvious the UT receiver was down was pathetic.  I could hear Mac Brown saying, "thanks for the time out".  I don't think it really affected the outcome of the game though.

Here in Texas us non-sheep college football fans are used to seeing Texas receivers and running backs clearly fumble and lose a ball only to have it given right back to them. I agree though, the review process failed miserably tonight on both sides.

Rick

Here in Texas us non-sheep college football fans are used to seeing Texas receivers and running backs clearly fumble and lose a ball only to have it given right back to them.  I agree though, the review process failed miserably tonight on both sides.

Rick

There was no bias in tonights game, if anything, ESPN and the media wanted USC to win, so that logic doesn't work.

I agree though, the review process failed miserably tonight on both sides.

There were some bad non-reviews that the announcers pointed out and some reviews that were called wrong even after the review. If the review can't get the plays right what's the point of using it? blink.gif

Has anyone noticed how replay is changing the way games are called?

I think it was the Penn State game (they are starting to blur together) where a player fumbled in a big pack. Ball pops out and is returned for a TD and during the return a flag is thrown. No big deal right?

The ruling on the field was that the player was down before the fumble but the officials didn't blow the play dead.

Using correct procedures the play should have been whistled over if the ruling was that the ball carrier was down. Then if the review found a fumble the recovering team awarded the ball at the spot of recovery with the play dead there due to an inadvertent whistle.

Officials are already starting to let plays go in order to allow the replay official to resolve it.

---I support replays, especially on possible scoring plays or possible turnovers. Both of those two situations have huge effects on game results.

---Having said that... replay officials in the USC/UT game were terrible. I didn't think they were biased ... just terrible. The officials on the field missed a few but they have to make extremely quick decisions.... the replay officials stunk and should return their salery since they did nothing good.

The league experimented with it this year.

I know the schools have been opposed due to the cost but I would think a highlight video from all our telecasts this year and the Alamo Bowl, not of the plays but of the announcers ragging the Belt for not having replay ought to change their mind so they understand there is a credibility cost to saving the money replay costs.

The league experimented with it this year.

I know the schools have been opposed due to the cost but I would think a highlight video from all our telecasts this year and the Alamo Bowl, not of the plays but of the announcers ragging the Belt for not having replay ought to change their mind so they understand there is a credibility cost to saving the money replay costs.

I know most of the conference are using a TIVO setup for the replays, so does most of the cost come in having to have a replay crew doing the games?

I know most of the conference are using a TIVO setup for the replays, so does most of the cost come in having to have a replay crew doing the games?

You need an official to review. Monitors, recorders, buzzer system, camera people, etc.

Bare minimum is a three camera set-up and realistically you want 5. You also need a fair level of competency for the people running the cameras. Each camera has to be connected to a broadcast quality DVR.

ASU for example normally uses a three or four camera system at home games to run the video board and to record games for the cable replay during the week. All are connected to DVR's. In that set-up they are going to need the switching capability to feed the video to the replay booth but not to the video board. The director will have to have headset communication with the replay official so the replay official can ask for each view and the replay speed (full or slow motion or freeze).