UT-Permian Basin Falcons

Buford_Julep

I believe that UTPB is an NAIA school, and is only in the process of applying to become an NCAA school (at Division 2).  Is there an NCAA rule against counting wins (or losses, as if) involving an NAIA school?

Our RPI is figured using our record in games only against other D-1 programs, which as ArkStFan pointed out is just 2-4 and we're ranked 230-something. sad.gif

I believe that UTPB is an NAIA school, and is only in the process of applying to become an NCAA school (at Division 2).  Is there an NCAA rule against counting wins (or losses, as if) involving an NAIA school?

This is correct: From the official website for UTPB.

Following the consensus of athletes, students and members of the community, The University of Texas of the Permian Basin has accepted the invitation to join the Heartland Conference. UTPB will also leave its current national association, the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and will apply for membership of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) at the Division II level in June. The change in conference and NAIA membership are contingent upon approval from The University of Texas Board of Regents in February. The Falcons will begin play in the Heartland Conference in the fall of 2006.

Our RPI is figured using our record in games only against other D-1 programs, which as ArkStFan pointed out is just 2-4 and we're ranked 230-something.  sad.gif

Yes, I understand about the RPI, which is disheartening. But I'm wondering if the NCAA will consider UNT still to be 4-4 (on the solid assumption that we win) or 5-4? I admit it is just a small point, but I'm just wondering.

Yes, I understand about the RPI, which is disheartening.  But I'm wondering if the NCAA will consider UNT still to be 4-4 (on the solid assumption that we win) or 5-4? I admit it is just a small point, but I'm just wondering.

Not sure on the exact NCAA ruling on # of non-D1 games allowed or when/if they're recognized by the NCAA. Conference rules may also dictate whats allowed to be played. Our official record is 4-4 and media recognizes us as 4-4 now; but for NCAA D1 stats only D1 games are used for calculations and rankings, thus the NCAA sees us 2-4 but allows total record to reflect all games played. Clear as mud? blink.gif

Not sure on the exact NCAA ruling on # of non-D1 games allowed or when/if they're recognized by the NCAA.  Conference rules may also dictate whats allowed to be played.  Our official record is 4-4 and media recognizes us as 4-4 now; but for NCAA D1 stats only D1 games are used for calculations and rankings, thus the NCAA sees us 2-4 but allows total record to reflect all games played.  Clear as mud?  blink.gif

Thanks very much, NT80, that clarifies it -- I had something like this in mind but wasn't quite sure. And as far as "clear as mud" -- as usual with the NCAA!

Regardless, go UNT!