DRC NT gets QB LOI on Woody Wilson rec'd

OldTimer

North Texas puts finishing touch on JUCO class

07:14 AM CST on Saturday, December 24, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

North Texas defensive coordinator Kenny Evans put the final touches on what he believes will be one of the Mean Green's best classes of midterm junior college recruits in recent years on Friday.

Evans already had binding national letters of intent from three players and picked up a fourth when Woody Wilson's paperwork arrived. The Coffeyville Community College quarterback was the last of UNT's four midterm recruits to send in his letter of intent.

"Without a doubt, this is one of the best classes of midterm junior college recruits that we have ever had," said Evans, who is in charge of junior college recruiting for UNT.

Wilson is a key element in that class. The former Arkansas signee started at quarterback for Coffeyville last season and had the Red Ravens ranked as high as No. 2 in the NJCAA national poll before breaking his collarbone in the seventh game of the season.

Wilson was recruited by Kansas, Kansas State and Nebraska as a defensive back, but decided to commit to UNT, where he will have a chance to play quarterback.

"Woody is very athletic and could play a lot of positions," Evans said. "He did very well at quarterback for Coffeyville and has the ability to make an impact for us. We told him that he would get a chance to play quarterback here."

The experience Wilson gained at Coffeyville convinced him that he could make the transition to playing quarterback on the Division I level for the Mean Green.

"I feel like I can help the team at quarterback more than I can at defensive back or wide receiver," Wilson said.

Wilson, 6-1, 185, threw for 910 yards and rushed for 214, before breaking his collarbone early on in a loss to Garden City in the Red Ravens' seventh game of the season. Wilson has recovered from the injury and will be ready for spring practice.

Evans said Wilson is the first junior college quarterback UNT has signed under head coach Darrell Dickey, who is entering his ninth year with the Mean Green.

Wilson could play defensive back or wide receiver for UNT if he does not fit in at quarterback.

UNT is looking to improve an offense that finished last in the Sun Belt Conference in passing yards and passing efficiency in 2005 with an average of 129.3 yards a game on a 92.9 efficiency rating.

Redshirt freshman Daniel Meager started every game last season for UNT and threw for 941 yards. Freshman Matt Phillips also saw extensive action and threw for 448.

Recruiting analyst Jeremy Crabtree of Rivals.com described Wilson as an elite athlete who could help the Mean Green immediately.

"Wilson had the injury last season, but when he is playing, he is special," Crabtree said.

UNT also signed offensive lineman Trent Stanley and defensive back Roy Loren from Coffeyville and tight end Brian Carlson of Kilgore College for its midterm class. Stanley was a second team NJCAA All-American and a first team All-Jayhawk Conference selection.

Wilson and Loren were honorable mention all-conference picks while Carlson could fill a void in UNT's lineup while serving as a physical blocking tight end.

UNT is hoping the group can help the Mean Green bounce back from a 2-9 season.

"If you look at these guys, they are all high-quality kids," Crabtree said of UNT's midterm class. "They can definitely make an impact right away for a program like North Texas."

• • •

"Woody is very athletic and could play a lot of positions," Evans said. "He did very well at quarterback for Coffeyville and has the ability to make an impact for us. We told him that he would get a chance to play quarterback here."

Allow me to read between the lines for you....

And at quarterback, number seven Daniel Meager....

Allow me to read between the lines for you....

That would be more funny if it wasnt so true. I have to hope Darrell Dickey is a better judge of what this program needs at QB this season. I would have to change my mid-game chant from "Throw the ball, Dickey" to "WE WANT A WOODY!!!!" I know, it just sounds bad. But if this kid is as good as Rivals says...that has already been shouted from the stands somewhere before.

Count me in for that cheer!!!

GMG!!!

Well, let's look at it this way. If DD and his staff want to maintain any sort of credibility with JUCO talent out there, then they had better give Woody every chance to succeed. Otherwise, we had better get used to our future JUCO signings to be limited to O-lineman and D-Lineman. It gets around when a coach goes back on their word. And it especially gets around with the help of recruiters from other schools.

Besides, we still have Jonathan (a-waste-of-a-ship) Ieans on the team. And he's still listed as a QB (talk about a misnomer). Woody couldn't possibly be as bad as him. wink.gif

For that matter, Medpilot would be a much better prospect at QB than JI.

Backhanded compliment?   They could help a program like (down and out) North Texas but couldn't do much for ______ (fill in other school)?   mad.gif

I didn't think the quote was that negative. Just truthful. NT is just not very good, this year.

I have to agree with an earlier post. Think of the repercussions if DD doesn't give WW every chance to succeed at QB. This kid had a chance to go to some big time programs as a DB. Seems like CCC is legitimate pipeline school for us and screwing over a talent like WW would not help NT in the future.

cool.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

I didn't think the quote was that negative. Just truthful. NT is just not very good, this year.

I have to agree with an earlier post. Think of the repercussions if DD doesn't give WW every chance to succeed at QB. This kid had a chance to go to some big time programs as a DB. Seems like CCC is legitimate pipeline school for us and screwing over a talent like WW would not help NT in the future.

cool.gif

Doesn't it seem that most JUCO QB's usually make their biggest impact the 2'nd season they are on campus; that is, unless they ran a similar offense at their JUCO as the school they transferred to?

Seems we have also leaned more heavily on JUCO signings this year than in recent memory; and I say that only because I don't think we are thru even now looking at JUCO signings even if they have to come in and enroll this Fall.

Most D1 college football coaches would still tell you the best way to build your football program are with recently graduated HS seniors.

And Rival's Crabtree's comment when he said "a program like North Texas" 99 out of 100 X's would usually be such a comment that would hardly edify our standing among the other 118 D1-A football programs.

QUESTION: Might this same Rivals recruiting guru have said "a program like UTEP" before Price became their coach? Obviously, many of us are duly impressed with just how quickly Coach Price turned the Miner's football fortunes around, yet at a higher profile and at a Top 25 ranked level which we were never able to get even close to in any of our 4 bowl years.

That part has to eventually change (and change very soon) at UNT if our officials want to keep our fan base interested in this football program; in other words, being merely the best of the worst on an annual basis will get old pretty quickly for most on this board, even those who think our present direction and level among the other 119 schools in NCAA D1-A is just fine.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Wilson's got to be better than DM, unless DM somehow got a lot better between now and the ASU game. Frankly, we move Meager to DB and move Ieans to DB as well. At least we can make use of their height and size as safeties, maybe even at WR.

Never thought of that, but I love the idea. Maybe knowing he'll be dealing out punishment instead of taking it would be enough to keep DM from getting injured.

Our #16, Steve Warren was originally listed at QB this year. I think that moving Ieans and/or Meager the same way might work out well. Ieans looks like he has some speed, but we'll never see it since he'll probably never get to be under center. Using his height and speed at DB may help out a little, or dropping him into a WR spot may work as well.

I know this past season wasn't anything close to wonderful, but that doesn't mean my expectations for next year have changed. At least 2 OOC wins, the SBC sweep and a NO Bowl RING, not just a trip.

Wilson's got to be better than DM, unless DM somehow got a lot better between now and the ASU game. Frankly, we move Meager to DB and move Ieans to DB as well. At least we can make use of their height and size as safeties, maybe even at WR.

Not sure Payton Manning could have had a good year with the offensive line blocking we saw for most of last football season. That seems to be the variable that is most always forgotten when the position of QB is discussed on this forum.

For certain each and everyone of us who call themselves Mean Green are all waiting for our messiah to arrive for this football program, but I am afraid he is not yet on our campus at this moment in time.

ON ANOTHER FRONT: I wonder who Rice U will end up hiring as their head football coach? I heard one of the M.G.R.N. guys make a comment on the UHouston/U of NT broadcast during the half time show and with that comment being: "Just walking past us is a candidate for the Rice job." Anyone else hear that comment on that radio broadcast and who could he have ever been talking about? unsure.gif

Not too sure about Ieans at WR. It was tried a couple of years ago, and let's just say it didn't work out. He just doesn't have the hands. Maybe you could give him a shot at DB, but I'm not sure you'd trust him to bring down a ball carrier, though I haven't really seen enough to make a solid judgement on that.

Now in the spring, they actually had Daniel Meager field a few punts, if you can believe that. I know they want to use his athleticism somewhere, so we'll just have to see. I believe Wilson will get every shot. If for some reason, however, he ends up not being nearly as good as advertised, the coaches will not hesitate to move him around. Eddrick Gilmore got a shot at TE, just as we promised him, but he didn't perform there like the coaches would have liked. So they moved him to DE, and I certainly enjoyed his big sack against A-State. (hopefully there's more to come there)

Not too sure about Ieans at WR.  It was tried a couple of years ago, and let's just say it didn't work out.  He just doesn't have the hands.  Maybe you could give him a shot at DB, but I'm not sure you'd trust him to bring down a ball carrier, though I haven't really seen enough to make a solid judgement on that.

Like I said...."a waste of a ship".

• 9 years later...

FAST FORWARD: This coming 2015 season reminds me a lot of UNT football back in 2006.   I was reminded of when Woody Wilson signed with us as a QB out of junior college to compete with incumbent starter Danny Meager.  Wilson was from Colleyville and Damarcus Smith is from Butler but both are from  the Kansas Juco system.   Woody's first and only big game to my recollection came against SMU where he led us to a victory at home 24-6.  Most thought this game would be enough to keep Dickey's job but it turned out not to be.  After Dickey left, so did Wilson although I cannot recall the exact circumstances.

Most agree our current QB incumbent McNulty will start in our game against SMU.  It would be interesting if Smith was allowed to play in the game this year and if he would be able to repeat history.

Edited by Harry

FAST FORWARD: This coming 2015 season reminds me a lot of UNT football back in 1996.   I was reminded of when Woody Wilson signed with us as a QB out of junior college to compete with incumbent starter Danny Meager.  Wilson was from Colleyville and Damarcus Smith is from Butler but both are from  the Kansas Juco system.   Woody's first and only big game to my recollection came against SMU where he led us to a victory at home 24-6.  Most thought this game would be enough to keep Dickey's job but it turned out not to be.  After Dickey left, so did Wilson although I cannot recall the exact circumstances.

Most agree our current QB incumbent McNulty will start in our game against SMU.  It would be interesting if Smith was allowed to play in the game this year and if he would be able to repeat history.

​Harry, don't forget that Woody Wilson also threw our only td pass against UT that year (2006). That is also the only TD pass against UT I can recall since the 90s.

• Upvote 1

FAST FORWARD: This coming 2015 season reminds me a lot of UNT football back in 2006.   I was reminded of when Woody Wilson signed with us as a QB out of junior college to compete with incumbent starter Danny Meager.  Wilson was from Colleyville and Damarcus Smith is from Butler but both are from  the Kansas Juco system.   Woody's first and only big game to my recollection came against SMU where he led us to a victory at home 24-6.  Most thought this game would be enough to keep Dickey's job but it turned out not to be.  After Dickey left, so did Wilson although I cannot recall the exact circumstances.

Teflon Todd forced him to move to Safety. He transferred out shortly thereafter....

• Upvote 2

Harry, don't forget that Woody Wilson also threw our only td pass against UT that year (2006). That is also the only TD pass against UT I can recall since the 90s.

He led us o that win over SMU by freelancing at QB and taking off on several long runs. He tried to do that in the next game at Tulsa and Dickey benched him for not staying in the offense, i.e., handoff the ball on 3rd and 26 to get the game over with sooner since we aren't playing a team from the Sun Belt.

He was never heard from again...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2006 is an interesting comparison. as there are many similarities between the two squads.

The primary difference that gives me confidence that those similarities don't include the program's trajectory is the coaching staff.  Dickey seemed to have one foot in and one foot out at that stage of his time at North Texas and the staff he surrounded himself with did nothing to breathe life into the program.  It's unquestionably "put up or shut up" time for Mac this year but I really like the new blood he's been bringing in with guys like Patrick and Cosh.  This staff sees potential with the program while that '06 staff seemed to view it as a sinking ship. 

• Upvote 1

2006 is an interesting comparison. as there are many similarities between the two squads.

The primary difference that gives me confidence that those similarities don't include the program's trajectory is the coaching staff.  Dickey seemed to have one foot in and one foot out at that stage of his time at North Texas and the staff he surrounded himself with did nothing to breathe life into the program.  It's unquestionably "put up or shut up" time for Mac this year but I really like the new blood he's been bringing in with guys like Patrick and Cosh.  This staff sees potential with the program while that '06 staff seemed to view it as a sinking ship. 

The only questions is....would you trade McNulty and Greer straight up for Meager and Phillips?

• Upvote 2