Everyone read please...Herb Larkins story

Will try not to make this too long ..

I just got off the phone with an old North Texas buddy of mine,Herb Larkins.I met Herb in 1969.He was a basketball player at NT and a track star.Played two sports.He had a vertical leap of 44"[inches] and was a potential superstar.Lou Carnesecca recruited him at St Johns but Herbs HS grades were lacking.He played HS ball in Flushing,NY.In 1969 he had the 2nd best long jump in NYC history.Bob Beamon was 1st.

Lou put Herb at Wharton CC in Houston,Texas.Herb played 2 yrs there but Lou thought the Johnnies were over his head.Herb ended up at North Texas.Was recruited by Wichta,Tulsa,ORU,Bradley,etc.But his high school teammate Billy Etheridge who was also at Wharton wasn't getting any full ride offers.North Texas wanted Herb so bad they offered Billy a full ride.Thats why Herb came to NT.

In early Oct , 1970 the NT b-ball players were scrimmaging illegally in the mens gym.Practice didn't start till Oct 12th.But all the NT coaches were up in the top bleachers watching the illegal scrimmage.An incident happened on the court and Herb hit his head.He layed down on the court motionless.My roommate and I were trying to talk to Herb.He whispered..I can't feel anything...I ran to the gym office and called the ambulance.The coaches all hurried out of the gym and left knowing they could get in trouble.

Herb has not moved his legs or arms in 36 years.He is a quadripalegic. It would take me another hour to explain everything since.He went into a depression for yrs and never talked. North Texas St gave Herb a black and white TV.That is all.In the last 15 yrs he became a born again christian. He lives in an appartment in Flushing.His Mom is still alive and visits him daily.He gets social sercurity money and has someone from the state in his appartment 12 hours a day.

Billy E graduated from NT,married a Texan like me and moved to back to NYC.He is now a Court Supervisor in Manhattan in charge of all the court officers in the justice dept . Billy's 2 sons are lawyers in NY.He takes care of Herb,calls everyday,and visits 2 or 3 times a week. Every Christmas I send Herb a check of $100.As I write this I realize how little that is. In 1982 Lou Carenesecca at the Nets game donated $12,000 to Herb to buy a van with a lift.Dr J also donated money.I have a picture in my office of the two of them.And he still has the van and it drives fine.He needs it for hospital appts,etc.

Herb does everything with his straw.He answers the phone,turns on his TV,lets people in his appartment,types,etc.

I talked to Billy E and asked what does herb need.He said his mother just bought him a state of the art wheel chair for $7,000.No insurance or anything,she paid for it herself.He has a old TV that doesn't work,computer is 10 yrs old that can't get e-mail. A 1982 van that Billy has under his insurance.

Billy said Herb lives a simple life.I asked if Herb had some guardians angels help him out what would he do.Billy quote was "something like that would impact his life." He always talks about a flat screen.But not sure what he would do.

Well...I need your help.Could everyone here get an envelope and a stamp.Take $5.00 out of your wallet,fold it in a piece of paper, seal the envelop,and address it to..

Herb Larkins

138-49 Apt 7 A

Elder Ave

Flushing,NY 11355

Just say" this is from one of your guardian angels".

No names,no mention of anything.Please that is important.Billy E is the only one who knows where this is coming from.He is not telling Herbs mother.

Just some guardian angels in cyberspace.

I know some might be skeptical and possibly think this is a sham or something.There are enough people here that know me over the years.

Also Mike Shalin a sportwriter of the Boston Herald knows Herbs story and wrote an artice years ago about him in the NY Post.Mikes brother Steve was the person who got Herb to Wharton .If anyone in the Boston area wants to contact Mike he'll vouch about the story.You could come in here and post Shalins acknowlegement.

I'm sure there are some of you out there that can come in this post and confirm my story.A North Texas student who hit his head in the Mens gym and has never,ever,ever,ever recieved anything from his school.Please pass this on or bump this post.Maybe someone can call the Denton Record where Herb made headlines several times on the court.

But I am going for the 1st time ever to ask you to be a guardian angel...please in this Christmas spirt this will be the greatest gift Herb ever receives.And I know what ever religion you believe in you will be a better person...Herb one night left Kerr Hall,walked into a gym and has never moved his arms and legs since 1970.

Be a guardian angel...

Herb Larkins

138-49 Apt 7 A

Elder Ave

Flushing NY 11355

In a week or two I'll give you an update..

Thank you...

Will try not to make this too long ..

I just got off the phone with an old North Texas buddy of mine,Herb Larkins.I met Herb in 1969.He was a basketball player at NT and a track star.Played two sports.He had a vertical leap of 44"[inches] and was a potential superstar.Lou Carnesecca recruited him at St Johns but Herbs HS grades were lacking.He played HS ball in Flushing,NY.In 1969 he had the 2nd best long jump in NYC history.Bob Beamon was 1st.

Lou put Herb at Wharton CC in Houston,Texas.Herb played 2 yrs there but Lou thought the Johnnies were over his head.Herb ended up at North Texas.Was recruited by Wichta,Tulsa,ORU,Bradley,etc.But his high school teammate Billy Etheridge who was also at Wharton wasn't getting any full ride offers.North Texas wanted Herb so bad they offered Billy a full ride.Thats why Herb came to NT.

In early Oct , 1970 the NT b-ball players were scrimmaging illegally in the mens gym.Practice didn't start till Oct 12th.But all the NT coaches were up in the top bleachers watching the illegal scrimmage.An incident happened on the court and Herb hit his head.He layed down on the court motionless.My roommate and I were trying to talk to Herb.He whispered..I can't feel anything...I ran to the gym office and called the ambulance.The coaches all hurried out of the gym and left knowing they could get in trouble.

Herb has not moved his legs or arms in 36 years.He is a quadripalegic. It would take me another hour to explain everything since.He went into a depression for  yrs and never talked. North Texas St gave Herb a black and white TV.That is all.In the last 15 yrs he became a born again christian. He lives in an appartment in Flushing.His Mom is still alive and visits him daily.He gets social sercurity money and has someone from the state in his appartment 12 hours a day.

Billy E graduated from NT,married a Texan like me and moved to back to NYC.He is now a Court Supervisor in Manhattan in charge of all the court officers in the justice dept . Billy's 2 sons are lawyers in NY.He takes care of Herb,calls everyday,and visits 2 or 3 times a week. Every Christmas I send Herb a check of $100.As I write this I realize how little that is. In 1982 Lou Carenesecca at the Nets game donated  $12,000 to Herb to buy a van with a lift.Dr J also donated money.I have a picture in my office of the two of them.And he still has the van and it drives fine.He needs it for hospital appts,etc.

Herb does everything with his straw.He answers the phone,turns on his TV,lets people in his appartment,types,etc.

I talked to Billy E and asked what does herb need.He said his mother just bought him a state of the art wheel chair for $7,000.No insurance or anything,she paid for it herself.He has a old TV that doesn't work,computer is 10 yrs old that can't get e-mail. A 1982 van that Billy has under his insurance.

Billy said Herb lives a simple life.I asked if Herb had some guardians angels help him out what would he do.Billy quote was "something like that would impact his life." He always talks about a flat screen.But not sure what he would do.

Well...I need your help.Could everyone here get an envelope and a stamp.Take $5.00 out of your wallet,fold it in  a piece of paper, seal the envelop,and address it to..

Herb Larkins

138-49 Apt 7 A

Elder Ave

Flushing,NY 11355

Just say" this is from one of your guardian angels".

No names,no mention of anything.Please that is important.Billy E is the only one who knows where this is coming from.He is not telling Herbs mother.

Just some guardian angels in cyberspace.

I know some might be skeptical and possibly think this is a sham or something.There are enough people here that know me over the years.

Also Mike Shalin a sportwriter of the Boston Herald knows Herbs story and wrote an artice years ago about him in the NY Post.Mikes brother  Steve was the person who got Herb to Wharton .If anyone in the Boston area wants to contact Mike he'll vouch about the story.You could come in here and post Shalins acknowlegement.

I'm sure there are some of you out there that can come in this post and confirm my story.A North Texas student who hit his head in the Mens gym and has never,ever,ever,ever recieved anything from his school.Please pass this on or bump this post.Maybe someone can call the Denton Record where Herb made headlines several times on the court.

But I am going for the 1st time ever to ask you to be a guardian angel...please in this Christmas spirt this will be the greatest gift Herb ever receives.And I know what ever religion you believe in you will be a better person...Herb one night left Kerr Hall,walked into a gym and has never moved his arms and legs since 1970.

Be a guardian angel...

Herb Larkins

138-49 Apt 7 A

Elder Ave

Flushing NY  11355

In a week or two I'll give you an update..

Thank you...

Thanks for this update and story about Mr. Larkins which I heard many, many years ago. I believe it was either the late Ron Shanklin or Abner Haynes who brought this up about Mr. Larkins at a gathering in the early 1980's. Mr. Larkins was a student at UNT before I transferred from Alvin JUCO (also near Houston) in January of 1972.

Mr. Larkins will get a (late arriving) Christmas card from this 1976 NT Ex and (what is called at many churches) a love offering albeit a modest one. Just as you have done, 125'th Street Gang, and as I know others of you who knew Mr. Larkins or his story, too, would also encourage NT Exes of every era, especially (as you have said) in the Spirit of the Christmas Season to do the same.

Thanks again, for this update 125'th Street Gang and to you and yours........

Merry CHRISTmas

James Plummer

UNT Class of 1976

................................................................................................

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed

When you are discouraged thinking all is lost

Count you many blessings name them one by one

And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

(a verse from a favorite Hymn)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Thank you all for helping.I e-mailed Harry and gave him some backround info on me.I'm sure he'll come back in here and tell everyone I'm ok.I do undertand people and there are so many shams out there.But not to many that fell in love with a Bruce hall co-ed,have 4 children,and have lived great lives.

I'm proud of my school.I give to the alumni and sports teams.I worked for Dr Bailey in intramurals for yrs.Being a PE major had Cornelius,Coach Maughan,Miss Angel[folk dance]

My favorite teacher was Coach McCain[football ast.] Had Elizebeth Ann Duke in English 101. Now I'm going to turn the tables on you people out there.Who was she.What happened to her.Why was she famos?

Anyway please send something to herb.Again no names.Maybe say "your guardian angel from North Texas".

I know of over 200 people sending him money.I will give you an update on his reactions.Yest. the 1st 20 letters arrived.Today and the next few days the "tidal wave will hit".What a x-mas gift to one of the nicest,kindest person on the face of the earth.His life in a small way will change.

I'm surprised that no vets like me belong to this site.If so many would come in here and recall Herb Larkins.

Again thanks to those that did trust me and already sent something.I can retire from my postion next yr in education.My wife said when she moved up here from Texas in 1974 I promised to retire in Texas.I miss the sonic,jake in the box and the best hamburgers in the world..LaSalle's.They changed the name..forgot.Over by the highway to Argyle.

Have a nice x-mas.

I'll give you people an update. Thank you again.

UNT lifer

UNT girl

Greenbat...thank you all for bumping this up.Your good people...

At times it can be difficult to get many in our Mean Green family to agree on many subjects, but this is one I feel we would all mostly agree is a project that brings to us a real life perspective of (basically) what life is really all about compared to trivial things such as game wins/losses or how we feel should be the ultimate direction of our athletic program.

As I said before, I remember the late Ron Shanklin and Abner Haynes talking most highly of Mr. Larkins many years ago at a Dallas gathering. They both thought most highly of Herb. I also remember being moved back then with their interpretation of the Herb Larkins story. I hope we all can help his Christmas and upcoming New Year become a most memorable one and that because of his extended University of North Texas family.

Again, thanks for bringing all this back to our attention on the great Herb Larkins, 125'th Street Gang. I hope he has many more "green tinted" guardian angels who will head to the Post Office this next week to send him a (belated) Christmas card and a love offering befitting each of their budgets.

I guess we all never take the time to sit back to count each of our own blessings until we find those who have had such unfortunate things happen to them in their lives and have had to deal with the consequences of their personal tragedies most all of their adult life.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

don't know where to start..The mail arrived the past 2 days.Over 70-80 letters.I'm going to paste a little of Billy E's email to me.

Todays take is 568.00, that gives us a total of 743.00 for two day. He is speechless I think he doesnot want me to see him cry. I am going to leave to let him cry in private.

Billy just called me and sent that e-mail out.Herb is speechless.Every letter you all sent had the message.."this is from your guardian angel".Billy said the letters came from all over .Kansas,Colorado,Mizzou,Maryland,NY,NJ,Pa,Conn,and on and on.

Billy has been taken care of Herb since he ... graduated from North Texas in 1973.He said today was one of the greatest days in Herbs life. I'm not trying to sound "hokey or corney".What happened these past two days like Billy said last week to me was"this could impact his life". It already has and it's just starting.

And you have to remember Herb is the kindest,soft spoken,warm hearted person on the face of the earth.

Billy told him the only rule these guardian angels have is the money is for you to upgrade yourself.

Billy suggested a "flat screen TV" and Herb just smiled at him.I think thats his 1st choice but we'll wait and see.

Tonight it's Christmas Eve and tomorrow it's Christmas.Everyone of you that stuck something in an envelope and sent it to someplace in Flushing NY without any prior knowlege of who it was did something we read about or see on some TV show.

What great people and human beings you are.You really don't know what you did.You think you do.The impact on this 56 yr old man who lost everything 35 yrs ago and in the last two days effected him in some way is mind blowing.

In the movie Miracle on 34th Street" it's about a Santa Claus worker at Macys in NYC who really believes he is Chris Cringle{Santa] They go to trial to have him committed.

There is a line in the movie.."Faith is believing when common sense tells you not to."

Just because things don't turn out the way you want them the 1st time you still have to believe in people".

I believe in Santa Claus.He has many guardian angels working for him from all over.You people are all about kindness,joy,sharing and love.

I wish all you guardian angels a Merry Christmas and cannot thank you enough for what you did..

I'll keep you posted and give everyone updates.

On my porch outside my house is a sign. It says "this house believes". It was just an ornament my wife bought.But it has new meaning to me now.

Bless all of you...

"Miracle on Elder Ave"

Billy's late e-mail...

, Herb turn red in the face watching me open his mail and seeing all the money I kept pulling out the envelopes. His day time home attendant got so emotional that she had to leave work early. I had a great time watching his eyes grow when it went one dollars to five to tens twentys than fifties and even a hundred. ..... tell everyone who sent something that there is truly a Santa Claus.

-----Original Message-----

Plumm-Green..thanks for responding.I knew Ronnie Shaklin.Met Abner Hayes at homecoming one year.I knew Ronnie pased away and so did the best quarterback I ever saw..Steve Ramsey.What a shame.

Last night I talked to Billy.I posted part of his e-mail [above].I also posted this "Herb needs your help" in a few other web sites this week.The response has been unreal.The response here has been very little and I do understand why.At the other places they know me and respect me.I don't give my name out and I shouldn't.

But the irony of this whole "guardian angel" movement is that Herb actually thinks it's coming from North Texas.One of you that sent out money to him mentioned North Texas.That is his only clue.And I do apprecaite those people from this site doing that.I think I even suggested that but I shouldn't of.He has already recieved over $700 and that is nothing compared to what is coming. And he thinks it's all coming from North Texas.In a way he's right.It is coming from North Texas..I'm the messenger..NTSU is my school..oops UNT.

Plumm..thank you.. Have a Merry X-mas

Billy just e-mailed me.

So far.....drum roll....

The days number is 97 envelopes and 1675 dollars plus 58 envelopes from Friday and Saturday which total 743 dollars give us a grand total of 155 envelopes which equal 2418.00 dollars.

-----Original Message-----

He didn't give any details about Herb. I;ll get them tomr.

Again thank you all...