Longhorn breaking his Daddy's heart

FirefightnRick

Learned an hour or so ago one of our guy's son who plays for UT quit the team a week or so ago because his coach wouldn't let him run track, and evidently prior to the Big 12 championship game the coach re-iterated that fact and pissed the boy off. He let his position coach know his intentions to quit and transfer despite his dad's urges for him to stay for the Rose Bowl. He has played sparingly on defense but mostly has been getting in on special teams. Last I heard he is planning on following his brother to a Pac 10 school, but no one is completely sure on that.

This reiterates what I have been told by many of our players and other guys who have played for other teams over the years that regardless of the shiny lavish stadiums and what not, playing time, and probably more importantly, correct timing for when you will get to play, bears more weight with a college football player. I wished we could get him to NT, and possibly we could, had our track team had a bit more notoriety? Who knows. It's just interesting that a kid that was this highly recruited nationally could find something wrong with "God's Gift" to football and leave before a national championship game.

Who knows, possibly by now someone (maybe momma?) has been able to talk some sense into him to stay. Word is he would start next year with 1 year left after next season?

Rick

I hate to sound like a broken record but:

1. Why doesn't DD ACTIVELY go after all the BCS kids that are wanting to transfer??He may not get every one...but some of them would help. So what if they have to sit out a year....not many athletes/students graduate in 4 years anyway.

2. DD has the scholarships to give!!!!!

3. UNT needs to get a reputation, similar to Okie State (BB), that we will take the transfers!!!!

4. I feel like he is slapping us in the face when he lets these players go without even (percieved) trying to PRO-ACTIVELY get these players.

I hate to sound like a broken record but:

1.  Why doesn't DD ACTIVELY go after all the BCS  kids that are wanting to transfer??He may not get every one...but some of them would help.  So what if they have to sit out a year....not many athletes/students graduate in 4 years anyway.

2.  DD has the scholarships to give!!!!!

3.  UNT needs to get a reputation, similar to Okie State (BB), that we will take the transfers!!!!

4.  I feel like he is slapping us in the face when he lets these players go without even (percieved) trying to PRO-ACTIVELY get these players.

Who says they havent tried? I agree with you 100%, Im just saying, it seems like it would not be that hard to do (make a few calls, make a visit), so what would make you think they havent or dont go after transfers?

Who says they havent tried? I agree with you 100%, Im just saying, it seems like it would not be that hard to do (make a few calls, make a visit), so what would make you think they havent or dont go after transfers?

It also depends on if the schools release them from their scholarships so that schools can speak with them. I know with tennis where transfers happen all the time, we would only release the athletes to certain schools out of conference or out of state. Last thing a schools wants is for an athlete to transfer in conference or transfer at all.

From past experiences, most of these kids transfer to one of two types of schools.

1. D1-AA so they can play immediately

2. D1-A school that recruited them during high school

Once they decide to transfer they have to be released by that program before any school can speak with them. The kids usually contact coaches that they have some type of relationship with, (ie high school recruiting).

This is why we should contact the big recruits in high school. There is always a chance that they could transfer at a later date. It would never hurt to talk to any recruit, no matter how highly they are being touted.

If it were me, I would tell them that they always have a place to play if there first commitment does not work out.

ohmy.gif

Eagle 1855--

I don't know if DD has contacted them but in the 8-years going on 9 that DD has been here how many BCS school transfers has he gotten to play for UNT???

IMHO there would be some mention, somewhere, from someone that these kids were contacted by some college/university to play for them.

The reason why some kids, who play at mid majors instead of bcs schools is that they were contacted "early-on" by someone and they kept "courting" them. "It's the attention they receive that sways their attention.

While DD and his staff are comfortably sitting in their offices some other "hungry" coach who wants to get the most out of his program are stealing these kids from us.

My point is, "have you heard through the mean green board/other boards/scoop boards, harry, etc etc etc....that these athletes have been contacted by us???" or is this information secret??

Eagle 1855--

I don't know if DD has contacted them but in the 8-years going on 9 that DD has been here how many BCS school transfers has he gotten to play for UNT???

In the last 4 years 6 players have transfered to UNT

Rule

An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution's athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution's athletics director (or an athletics administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of who makes the initial contact. If permission is not granted, the second institution shall not encourage the transfer and the institution shall not provide athletically related financial assistance to the student-athlete until the student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year. If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable NCAA recruiting rules apply

PHS Coach has it right. That information is even posted on the UNT athletics website: http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...562&SPSID=37327

All potential walk-ons who are currently enrolled at another institution of higher education (i.e., junior college, community college or four-year college) and currently on the football roster (or at one time have been on the football roster) fall under the category of transfer. Because of this, no member of the North Texas Athletic Department may be in contact with you (regardless if you contact North Texas first) until North Texas receives a release from your current school (per NCAA rules).

This kinda thing happens at every school, every year. Didn't we have a player work his way back from knee surgery this year only to quit midseason because he was unhappy with his amount of playing time?

And as far as transfers go, A coach may refuse to give a player a release. For example Mike Leach at Texas Tech won't give a player a release if he transfers to any school within the Big 12 or any other D-1 school in Texas.

Edited by Baby Arm!