friday

j0nat8an

Did anyone know that our former Assistant Head Coach under Vic Trilli now holds the same position at Houston?

user posted image

Melvin Haralson

Position: Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Director

Experience: Sixth Year at UH

Alma Mater: Auburn, 1989

In his sixth season at the University of Houston, Melvin Haralson is in his second season as the associate head coach and recruiting director after helping Houston sign one of the nation's Top 15 recruiting classes in 2004-05.

He also helped the Cougars win 18 games and play in a postseason tournament for the first time in three seasons. In his first season as recruiting director, Houston's recruiting class ranked among the nation's Top 35 schools.

Haralson has been a successful recruiter at each of his last two stops before coming to Houston in 2000. He helped North Texas sign one of the nation's top 21 recruiting classes in 1998, and was a member of Tom Penders' staff at Texas from 1990-95, when the Longhorns signed two Top 10 nationally-ranked recruiting classes.

Haralson came to Houston as an adminstrative assistant in 2000, a position he held for one year. Then, he was named the director of men's basketball operations in 2001 before being promoted to assistant coach in 2002. He served two seasons as an assistant coach on Houston's staff before Penders was named head coach. He was promoted to his current position on Penders' staff in 2004.

Haralson came to Houston after serving as an assistant coach at North Texas for five seasons. The Mean Green's 1998 recruiting class also was the top ranked class in the Southwest Region.

Haralson went to North Texas after serving as a head assistant coach under Penders at Texas from 1990-95. While he was at Texas, the Longhorns won three Southwest Conference championship teams and four NCAA Tournament squads.

The two Top 10 nationally-ranked recruiting classes at Texas included three of the best players to ever play for the Longhorns. They were Terrance Rencher, Reggie Freeman and McDonald's All-American Kris Clack. Rencher is the Longhorns' all-time scoring leader and Freeman ranks third on the school's career scoring list.

Haralson began his coaching career as a student coach at his alma mater, Auburn University, when he helped the Tigers reach the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament in 1988-89.

Before he began his coaching career, Haralson was an Honorable-Mention All-American high school player at Murrah High School in Jackson, Miss.

He played collegiately at Lon Morris Junior College in Texas, where he earned Junior College All-American honors in 1984-85. He transfered to Auburn in 1985-86, and was a member of the Tigers' Elite Eight NCAA Tournament team that beat UNLV in the at the Compaq Center in Houston.

He earned a bachelor's degree in education in 1989 and was invited to NBA camps with the Los Angeles Clippers before beginning his coaching career. He and his wife, Tonia, have a son, Isaiah.

I don't think it will happen. The amount of Ticket Holiday Packages that were sold probably does not justify the time required to type the ad.

This will probably be the smallest audience that the Houston Cougars have played for in decades.

Not really, you should've seen the crowd at UH when we played their a couple of years ago. Less than 1k easily.

Houston Rally Falls Short at UNLV

Cougars fight back from 20 points down.

Dec. 20, 2005

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Michael Umeh had a game-high 23 points and Jason Petrimoulx added 13 points Tuesday night to lead UNLV to an 83-73 victory over Houston.

Trailing by 20 points, Houston made things interesting late, going on a 13-0 run and cutting its deficit to 69-62 with 3:54 to play.

But UNLV (4-5) didn't miss a free throw in the final three minutes and hung on for its second win in seven games.

The two teams combined for 55 fouls and UNLV was in the double bonus with 14:25 to play.

The Rebels made 10 of 10 from the line over the final 2:58, taking advantage of 31 Houston fouls. They converted 29 of 44 foul shots in the game.

Ricky Morgan and Curtis Terry added nine points apiece for the Rebels.

Oliver Lafayette led Houston (4-3) with 18 points and Lanny Smith added 17.

UNLV closed the first half with a 19-7 run, using a pair of 3-pointers from Petrimoulx and a crowd-inspiring dunk from Terry to break a 24-all tie and pull away over the final 5:33 of the half.

The Rebels jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead, but the Cougars went on a 16-4 run to take a five-point lead with 13:42 to play in the first half.

I am stoked about tomorrows game...I am bringing either a friend from Tech or another firend of mine that goes to U of H...I know I know I should bring both...but since they are both ex girlfriends that dont get along...the fireworks could be amazing....But yes i am excited and think that these guys have a damn legit shot to take this game at home....

Here's to hoping people show up and it isn't a "home game" for the Houston Crowd...since i talked to a AD employee and was told a number of fans they are expected to bring....lets just say we better show up!