UNT-UH

NTXCoog

I'm so excited about the UNT-UH basketball game on Friday. I'm a UH alum who lived in Denton for 5 years (wife went to TWU) & now I live about 10 miles east of Denton.

As a sports fan & Denton resident, it's surprising that I've never been to a sporting event on the UNT campus. I generally follow the UNT schedule & results, but I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore UNT fan.

Unfortunately I follow UNT more than many UNT alums. One of my co-workers is a huge UT fan. Always talks about how his team is doing. When I asked him when he graduated from UT, he then told me he was a UNT alum. That just pissed me off. I asked why he didn't cheer for UNT & he said something about not doing anything that impressed him. Considering at the time UNT had just been to another NO bowl & my alma mater was just 1 year removed from an 0fer team, I just couldn't believe it. Unfortunately UH has too many of those kinds of alum too.

Hopefully UH will win Friday, but I also hope I enjoy the atmosphere. As a local, I should support the school even if some UNT alum don't, at least make a b-ball game or two a year.

Unfortunately I follow UNT more than many UNT alums.  One of my co-workers is a huge UT fan.  Always talks about how his team is doing.  When I asked him when he graduated from UT, he then told me he was a UNT alum.  That just pissed me off.  I asked why he didn't cheer for UNT & he said something about not doing anything that impressed him.  Considering at the time UNT had just been to another NO bowl & my alma mater was just 1 year removed from an 0fer team, I just couldn't believe it.  Unfortunately UH has too many of those kinds of alum too.

He sounds like a Craig Miller wannabe.

That's just the way it is with the "chosen" schools. They get the bandwagon fans just because. For schools like North Texas or Houston we normally cannot count on the general population to round out our fan base. We are usually limited to alumni, students, staff/employees and family. The UT's, OU's, Ohio St's of the world pick up a lot of fans with zero affiliation to the school. Can't do much about it, but when those fans are one of your own, that's just wrong.

Keith