Number 1 reason not to go 1-AA

greenjoe

Last night, the !-AA National Championship game was played with former NT Head Coach Jerry Moore's Appalachian State University winning. Great for Jerry Moore.

The game was finally written up on PAGE SEVEN !

Not page one. Not page two. Page seven.

Win the Sun Belt. Win OOC games. Get into a better conference.

Wonder if anybody would post this on UTs site? NO!

The topic was obviously started because "greenjoe" wanted to point out how little respect there is for Division 1AA Football, and reinforce our resolve to stay in D1A. Which I agree with.

I am not sure why anyone here would care what was on UTs site.

I doubt there are many worries on the UT site that their team will ever be ranked near last place in D1A either, but like I said who cares what would or would not be posted on UTs site.

Even being D-I , UNT has a problem even getting mentioned on local TV sports broadcast.They seem to concentrate on the Big 12 ( UT ), SMU and TCU. Being the largest university in the metroplex , you would think the local press, broadcasters, would at least include coverage on a par with the aforementioned schools. Surely , the SID of UNT is making a concered effort to see that this is done.

I watched half the game, but when the wife got home we compromised and watched what she wanted to watch . . . LOL!

I was looking for a write up the next day in the Albuquerque Journal sports section and I could not find one. Finally I found a column titled Notes buried on page 7 of the sports section and about halfway down in the column there was maybe 6 or 7 lines devoted to the game.

1-AA National Championship game gets no respect or press in New Mexico; very sad!!!!

Yes there are more NT alum in DFW than TCU and SMU put together.

Plus.........UNT has just as many of its students living on, within blocks of campus or within a mile or 2 than the combined enrollments of SMU and TCU. Really a good time for NT leaders to take advantage of all this.

I think all of the aforemenioned (coupled with Denton and Denton County's dramatic growth) are finally beginning to translate to more new faces at Fouts no matter the quality of the product. I think all this happening because (once again, IMO) many more fans are feeling more personal ownership with this program. And because of all that yet another reason our campus leaders need to do everything to see that this kind of momentum continues and for them to make the decisions that insures it will (and continues to grow). You know, as in, uh, W.I.T.--- Whatever It Takes?

GBT!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Even being D-I , UNT has a problem even getting mentioned on local TV sports broadcast.They seem to concentrate on the Big 12 ( UT ), SMU and TCU. Being the largest university in  the metroplex , you would think the local press, broadcasters, would at least include coverage on a par with the aforementioned schools. Surely , the SID of UNT is making a concered effort to see that this is done.

The SID can only do so much. The press ignores him because it's their job to try and get "UNT copy"into the press/media.

The media chooses to ignore North Texas for two reasons.

1. We haven't had a credible and consistent OCC win record in the last decade. Yes, we've had a win or two, but nothing consistent.

2. The North Texas alumni in the metroplex allow them to get away with it.

Now, as to #2, I'm not talking about sending an e-mail and whining about not being on the front page all the time. I'm talking about sending e-mails in large numbers every time we are ignored entirely and/or the press/media coverage is inadequate for the event. For instance, every time we play a game in the metroplex, and the results of the game are not even mentioned, we need to consistently and in large numbers, send e-mails to that particular writer/TV/Radio reporter and tell them that you find their lack of reporting of North Texas sports inadequate and/or unacceptable. If you can find out who their sponsor is, then make sure the sponsor is cc'd on the e-mail. And make sure that you mention that you will not use that product and/or service as long as North Texas continues to be treated in such an unfair and arbitrary manner.

And when (or if ) you do this, make sure that the people you are sending the e-mail to can tell that you are a college graduate. When you send whining, rambling e-mails, it's much easier to ignore you.