Releasing next year's football schedule - why

gangrene

I've already seen 2006 football schedules for MUTS, Troy, LaLa and FIU listed on their "official" sites but I've not seen anything listed on our web site.

I know who we're playing because it's been posted here in GMG a few times but it seems that an official announcement, as the other schools have done, could benefit us in several different manners. It could potentially boost excitement and awareness by the average UNT supporter/fan and also serve that same purpose for potential students or student-athletes.

I'd be foolish to think that our coaching staff doesn't make next year's schedule available for players they are currently recruiting, but how would a potential walk-on that may have UNT in mind go about finding this information?

Texas has released partial schedules through the 2009 season (which only lists A & M). I know that our schedules sometimes aren't finalized until a few weeks before the season starts, but what harm would it do to release the list of teams we are relatively certain we will be playing with TBD dates and times?

While searching for our schedule, I also found a link to a forum (all posts are from October) discussing UT's 2006 schedule which includes Sam Houston State. I'll just say that a few comments regarding UNT pissed me off and leave it at that. Here's the link so you can read for yourself: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/sha...l_schedule.html

All in all, the timely posting of future football schedules isn't really a big deal but sometimes it's the little things that count.

Edited by gangrene

The people posting on this are uninformed.

+The new BCS doesnt factor SOS as heavily as the old, so playing "lay ups" like NT and Rice have very little effect. In fact, if we end up having a 7-4 year, it actually HELPS them in the end, as we are another bowl team with a winning record.

+UT schedules us (and other 'belt teams) because they want a W in their home opener. Its like preseason.

+They play Rice because it gives them a chance to show off for recruits in the Houston area. They are also an old SWC foe.

+SHSU was scheduled at the last minute because UT's AD claimed they could not find another team with an opening in their schedule and it is at least regional.

+"Other mid majors like SMU"? Since win did SMU become a legit mid major?

you would think being"educated" UT students/ alums they might think a bit before firing off some of these zingers. Id be pissed if I were a UT fan though, especially with SHSU. I guess they forgot OSU is coming into town a week after us. A team that will likely be a top 5 team and NC contender

UNT released it's schedule last year way earlier than it normally does, then had it change about 5 times. They also included a tentative 2006 schedule, but I think it lacked a 12th game.

I've already seen 2 posted versions of next years schedule, with only 11 games, but both differed on open weeks. The actual schedule is probably still too fluid to release yet as "official", thinking fans would book rooms and flights based on it. I would like to see us selling season tickets already for next year, why wait on that? Announce the known home games and a price. Set up a booth at basketball games and have a large seating chart of Fouts showing open available seats as of last season.

UNT released it's schedule last year way earlier than it normally does, then had it change about 5 times.  They also included a tentative 2006 schedule, but I think it lacked a 12th game. 

I've already seen 2 posted versions of next years schedule, with only 11 games,  but both differed on open weeks.  The actual schedule is probably still too fluid to release yet as "official", thinking fans would book rooms and flights based on it.  I would like to see us selling season tickets already for next year, why wait on that?    Announce the known home games and a price.  Set up a booth at basketball games and have a large seating chart of Fouts showing open available seats as of last season.

It's hard to sell season tickets without knowing whether the 12th game will be at home or away because they have to add the cost of that game into the cost of the season tickets if it is at home.

No.  We haven't confirmed a 12th game yet.  7 conference games, plus UT, LaTech, Tulsa and SMU = 11 games so far.

I would really like another Big 12 or C-USA game for that 12th spot... anything with regional interest. Playing @ UH, Rice or A&M would be ideal, but im obviously biased biggrin.gif

have they given any indicator as to what it might be, or is there even going to be a 12th game scheduled?

I think a home and home with Rice would be great. NT will get some pub in the nations top recruiting hotbed. Yes, I know we were bad last year but Rice was even worse. It would be a pretty good game if they keep the same offense that they have had. With the way they run and our innability to stop it.

Plus I live in Houston so it's a bit easier then to drive up to Denton biggrin.gif

I would really like another Big 12 or C-USA game for that 12th spot... anything with regional interest. Playing @ UH, Rice or A&M would be ideal, but im obviously biased  biggrin.gif

have they given any indicator as to what it might be, or is there even going to be a 12th game scheduled?

I don't understand why anyone hasn't taken to my idea of playing New Mexico State. Besides MUTS who we have only played the last 5 years, our primary rival is the Aggies. Rivalries are born on the field, not interstate highways. We have a history with New Mexico State so I say for tradition's sake we need to continue it. Every year's schedule should include them and SMUt, 7 conference games, 1 regional or lower-tier PAC 10/Big East/SEC game, and 1 bodybag game.

I don't understand why anyone hasn't taken to my idea of playing New Mexico State. Besides MUTS who we have only played the last 5 years, our primary rival is the Aggies. Rivalries are born on the field, not interstate highways. We have a history with New Mexico State so I say for tradition's sake we need to continue it. Every year's schedule should include them and SMUt, 7 conference games, 1 regional or lower-tier PAC 10/Big East/SEC game, and 1 bodybag game.

I think the focus is on a CUSA team to maybe build up relationships that might be helpful in the future. . . . ph34r.gif

It's hard to sell season tickets without knowing whether the 12th game will be at home or away because they have to add the cost of that game into the cost of the season tickets if it is at home.

They could at least take committments. A person picks out seats then gets billed when the # games and price is known.

There are ways to keep pushing season tickets, even in the off season, if we really wanted to. If not the personal touch at basketball games, link a web site of Fouts seats available and a way for someone to reserve it. Like an airline reservation you "x" out the seats, then leave a contact address for billing. It could run itself with just a software program.

I would make some seat location changes today if I knew what was available and the means to do it online; I'd also tell potential season-ticket friends to check it out. smile.gif

Edited by NT80

I think the focus is on a CUSA team to maybe build up relationships that might be helpful in the future. . . . ph34r.gif

That could be SMU as well. And we have Tulsa next season. Instead of a Baylor or Duke or Cincinnati like my previous post, 1 bodybag, SMU, NMSU, & a Tulsa/Rice/Houston/Memphis/SoMiss/Tulane.

Would it be possible for someone to post and pin (administrators?) what we currently know to be the 2006 schedule? You could asterisk and footnote it so everyone would understand that it's unofficial, but at least it would give all of us a general reference for what we can expect in next year's opponents.

Would it be possible for someone to post and pin (administrators?) what we currently know to be the 2006 schedule?  You could asterisk and footnote it so everyone would understand that it's unofficial, but at least it would give all of us a general reference for what we can expect in next year's opponents.

The two versions I've seen posted:

Sept. 2 @ Texas

Sept. 9 @ Tulsa

TBA SMU

Sept. 30 Middle Tennessee

Oct. 7 @ Troy

Oct. 21 Florida International

Oct. 28 @ Louisiana-Monroe

Nov. 4 Louisiana Tech

Nov. 11 @ Louisiana-Lafayette

Nov. 18 Florida Atlantic

Nov. 25 @ Arkansas State

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...0&ATCLID=108524

2006 North Texas Football Schedule

Sept. 2 at Texas

Sept. 9 SMU

Sept. 16 at Tulsa

Sept. 30 Middle Tennessee*

Oct. 7 at Troy*

Oct. 21 Florida International*

Oct. 28 at Louisiana-Monroe*

Nov. 4 Louisiana Tech

Nov. 11 at Louisiana Lafayette*

Nov. 18 Florida Atlantic*

Nov. 25 at Arkansas State*

*Sun Belt Conference Game

Guest GrayEagleOne

We're reasonably certain that the reason that the schedule hasn't been released is that the 12th game hasn't been finalized.

For instance, if it's with a C-USA team, their conference schedule hasn't been released and no date could be finalized until the opponent knows their committment dates. Our open dates are 9/23 and, I believe, 10/14. The latter date is in the midst of conference races so we are likely looking for an opponent for 9/23. Let's say that we are negotiating with C-USA member Houston; who has only reported one OOC game. Houston has to fill two other games before they can finalize a game with us on the 23rd. They also have to determine whether the game is to be home or away before making an announcement. So, we have to wait until the Cougars have their games set as well before we could let the public know.

The only Texas schools that have 12 dates set are Texas Tech and (apparently now) Texas, and the Sam Houston State game is very new. Rice has four non-conference games set and is awaiting the conference schedule. The rest, including North Texas, have one or more games in limbo. It's not just us.

When I talked to Rick V in Florida in October he said that they were trying to work a deal with Rice but that nothing was set in stone.

I agree that New Mexico State would be a good game for us, but both teams have to agree. We have had some great games with New Mexico State but we always won those games. If I were New Mexico State I sure wouldn't schedule North Texas.

My hope is that we schedule a 1AA team that we can whip up on to come to Denton just like Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas State, etc are currently doing with Sun Belt and MAC teams. It probably won't happen, but that is my hope.

I would like to work a series with Oklahoma State.  They have a large and active alumni following in the area and recruit heavily here.  They could fill Fouts.

If Troy could bring in Missouri why not our getting OSU?  I would accept a two for one if necessary.

I heard we tried for OSU a couple years back and OSU refused to play at Fouts, they wanted Texas Stadium. Fouts is a setback more than fans realize. sad.gif

My hope is that we schedule a 1AA team that we can whip up on to come to Denton just like Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas State, etc are currently doing with Sun Belt and MAC teams.  It probably won't happen, but that is my hope.

Just say NO to scheduling a 1AA school in Denton. It's hard enough to get people to the game when we play against our own conference. There's also the possibility of losing, which unfortunately would be a huge setback to our already unstable fanbase. Not to be a pessimist, just a realist.