DMN: Jerry Moore, former UNT coach in 1-AA Final

NT80

Former UNT, Tech coach wins in I-AA

At Appalachian State, Texan can become king of the I-AA hill

09:41 PM CST on Thursday, December 15, 2005

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Jerry Moore left college football's rat race years ago for a coaching assignment far from the big-money, high-profile lifestyle of Division I-A.

The former North Texas and Texas Tech head coach couldn't imagine a better setup than what he has at Division I-AA Appalachian State in Boone, N.C. But even small schools have their own set of headaches."I'll show you how much things have changed since leaving Texas," Moore said by phone while looking out at Kidd Brewer Stadium, a 43-year-old facility that holds just 16,650.

"As I'm looking out the window, they're pushing the snow off our game field here. They're getting our field ready to have some practices."

Appalachian State (enrollment 13,000) spent the last month digging through the NCAA playoffs. Moore and the Mountaineers can capture their first national title today against Northern Iowa in the Division I-AA championship in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Moore, 66, said dozens of friends from the coaching fraternity have called this week. Several phone messages have Texas area codes. For this Bonham, Texas, native, the calls brought the memories rushing back.

Moore led Baylor in receptions in 1958 and helped the Bears reach the Gator Bowl in 1960.

In 1965, SMU coach Hayden Fry hired Moore to join his coaching staff. Moore was in Dallas for eight seasons until Nebraska coach Tom Osborne hired him just before the 1973 Orange Bowl. Moore would become the Huskers' offensive coordinator in 1978.

Moore returned to Texas in 1979 when he replaced Fry as head coach at North Texas. In two seasons, Moore was 11-11 and then was hired away by Texas Tech.

His five-year stint in Lubbock wasn't one of the school's best. The Red Raiders were 16-37-2 from 1981 to 1985.

Moore left coaching for a couple of years before joining Ken Hatfield's staff at Arkansas in 1988. Appalachian State called the following spring, and Moore was named the school's head coach on March 4, 1989.

He's posted a winning record in 16 of the last 17 years and reached the NCAA playoffs 11 times, getting as far as the national semifinals three times before this season. Moore's record at ASU is 139-67, which makes him the all-time winningest coach in school and Southern Conference history.

Texas Tech assistant head coach Ruffin McNeill worked for Moore at ASU for two stints during the 1990s. McNeill remembers Moore as a coach who was level-headed, intense and competitive.

Coaching is coaching and winning is winning, McNeill said. Just because Moore is winning at a Division I-AA school doesn't lessen the importance of the accomplishment.

"When we won the first conference championship [in 1991], it felt just like it did when we won the Holiday Bowl last year at Tech," McNeill said. "The kids may not be quite as tall or not quite as fast. But most of the time, we've had just as many guys drafted as anybody."

People who know of Moore's past ask the inevitable question: How is Division I-AA different from I-A, where football is king and an appearance in the Bowl Championship Series is worth at least $14 million?

"Now, if you're talking about the top 80 schools in I-A, it's light years' difference," Moore said. "But compared to the rest of them, I'd rather be here."

And yes, Division I-A should have a playoff, Moore said.

"I go back a long time," Moore said. "The tradition of the bowls is a hindrance to a playoff. The bowls have been so good to college football that it's hard to snub those guys, and nobody would truly want to. But it appears to me that you could do something with the last two or four games, almost like they're doing now."

Appalachian State is about to start a $40 million renovation project that will expand the stadium and build other needed facilities. A championship would only add to the school's allure, he figures.

So don't expect Moore to jump back into Division I-A anytime soon.

"During our conversation time, I can see our field," Moore said. "They got it cleared off. This is going to be a really good day."

Backup QB proved a savior in semifinal

Montana eliminated Appalachian State in the 2000 Division I-AA semifinals with a 19-16 overtime win. Jerry Moore hung his sideline pass in his locker so he could look at it every day for motivation.

Last Saturday's sideline pass is also hanging his locker now. ASU lost starting quarterback Richie Williams in the first quarter of its national semifinal against Furman. Backup Trey Elder led the Mountaineers to a 29-23 victory in what one North Carolina columnist called the best game in school history.

You'd be surprised how much noise 15,307 people can make. "You couldn't hear yourself think," Moore said.

Williams has a strained tendon in his left ankle. Whether he can play tonight will be a game-time decision, ASU said.

E-mail brdavis@dallasnews.com

NCAA Division I-AA championship: Appalachian State (11-3) vs. Northern Iowa (11-3), 7 p.m. today, Chattanooga, Tenn. (ESPN2)

JERRY MOORE

Family: Married to the former Margaret Starnes, also a Baylor graduate. The couple have three children (Chris, Scott and Elizabeth) and six grandchildren.

Record at Appalachian State: 139-67 (17th season)

NCAA playoff record: 9-10 (11 appearances)

Overall coaching record: 166-115-2 (24th season)

ASU players he coached include: former Cowboys LB Dexter Coakley; Ravens TE Daniel Wilcox

Personal sidenote: I'm not a big Jerry Moore fan. He took talent Fry left at NT and wrecked it trying to run the Nebraska I-back offense. Tech found out the same thing. Rots of Ruck! tongue.gif

Edited by NT80

Former UNT, Tech coach wins in I-AA

At Appalachian State, Texan can become king of the I-AA hill

09:41 PM CST on Thursday, December 15, 2005

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Jerry Moore left college football's rat race years ago for a coaching assignment far from the big-money, high-profile lifestyle of Division I-A.

The former North Texas and Texas Tech head coach couldn't imagine a better setup than what he has at Division I-AA Appalachian State in Boone, N.C. But even small schools have their own set of headaches."I'll show you how much things have changed since leaving Texas," Moore said by phone while looking out at Kidd Brewer Stadium, a 43-year-old facility that holds just 16,650.

"As I'm looking out the window, they're pushing the snow off our game field here. They're getting our field ready to have some practices."

Appalachian State (enrollment 13,000) spent the last month digging through the NCAA playoffs. Moore and the Mountaineers can capture their first national title today against Northern Iowa in the Division I-AA championship in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Moore, 66, said dozens of friends from the coaching fraternity have called this week. Several phone messages have Texas area codes. For this Bonham, Texas, native, the calls brought the memories rushing back.

Moore led Baylor in receptions in 1958 and helped the Bears reach the Gator Bowl in 1960.

In 1965, SMU coach Hayden Fry hired Moore to join his coaching staff. Moore was in Dallas for eight seasons until Nebraska coach Tom Osborne hired him just before the 1973 Orange Bowl. Moore would become the Huskers' offensive coordinator in 1978.

Moore returned to Texas in 1979 when he replaced Fry as head coach at North Texas. In two seasons, Moore was 11-11 and then was hired away by Texas Tech.

His five-year stint in Lubbock wasn't one of the school's best. The Red Raiders were 16-37-2 from 1981 to 1985.

Moore left coaching for a couple of years before joining Ken Hatfield's staff at Arkansas in 1988. Appalachian State called the following spring, and Moore was named the school's head coach on March 4, 1989.

He's posted a winning record in 16 of the last 17 years and reached the NCAA playoffs 11 times, getting as far as the national semifinals three times before this season. Moore's record at ASU is 139-67, which makes him the all-time winningest coach in school and Southern Conference history.

Texas Tech assistant head coach Ruffin McNeill worked for Moore at ASU for two stints during the 1990s. McNeill remembers Moore as a coach who was level-headed, intense and competitive.

Coaching is coaching and winning is winning, McNeill said. Just because Moore is winning at a Division I-AA school doesn't lessen the importance of the accomplishment.

"When we won the first conference championship [in 1991], it felt just like it did when we won the Holiday Bowl last year at Tech," McNeill said. "The kids may not be quite as tall or not quite as fast. But most of the time, we've had just as many guys drafted as anybody."

People who know of Moore's past ask the inevitable question: How is Division I-AA different from I-A, where football is king and an appearance in the Bowl Championship Series is worth at least $14 million?

"Now, if you're talking about the top 80 schools in I-A, it's light years' difference," Moore said. "But compared to the rest of them, I'd rather be here."

And yes, Division I-A should have a playoff, Moore said.

"I go back a long time," Moore said. "The tradition of the bowls is a hindrance to a playoff. The bowls have been so good to college football that it's hard to snub those guys, and nobody would truly want to. But it appears to me that you could do something with the last two or four games, almost like they're doing now."

Appalachian State is about to start a $40 million renovation project that will expand the stadium and build other needed facilities. A championship would only add to the school's allure, he figures.

So don't expect Moore to jump back into Division I-A anytime soon.

"During our conversation time, I can see our field," Moore said. "They got it cleared off. This is going to be a really good day."

Backup QB proved a savior in semifinal

Montana eliminated Appalachian State in the 2000 Division I-AA semifinals with a 19-16 overtime win. Jerry Moore hung his sideline pass in his locker so he could look at it every day for motivation.

Last Saturday's sideline pass is also hanging his locker now. ASU lost starting quarterback Richie Williams in the first quarter of its national semifinal against Furman. Backup Trey Elder led the Mountaineers to a 29-23 victory in what one North Carolina columnist called the best game in school history.

You'd be surprised how much noise 15,307 people can make. "You couldn't hear yourself think," Moore said.

Williams has a strained tendon in his left ankle. Whether he can play tonight will be a game-time decision, ASU said.

E-mail brdavis@dallasnews.com

NCAA Division I-AA championship: Appalachian State (11-3) vs. Northern Iowa (11-3), 7 p.m. today, Chattanooga, Tenn. (ESPN2)

JERRY MOORE

Family: Married to the former Margaret Starnes, also a Baylor graduate. The couple have three children (Chris, Scott and Elizabeth) and six grandchildren.

Record at Appalachian State: 139-67 (17th season)

NCAA playoff record: 9-10 (11 appearances)

Overall coaching record: 166-115-2 (24th season)

ASU players he coached include: former Cowboys LB Dexter Coakley; Ravens TE Daniel Wilcox

Personal sidenote:  I'm not a big Jerry Moore fan.  He took talent Fry left at NT and wrecked it trying to run the Nebraska I-back offense.  Tech found out the same thing.  Rots of Ruck!  tongue.gif

I understand your sentiments as I was no big Jerry Moore fan either. But, coaches like people do mature and learn with age. I suspect he is a much better coach now than when he was at North Texas.

I understand your sentiments as I was no big Jerry Moore fan either. But, coaches like people do mature and learn with age. I suspect he is a much better coach now than when he was at North Texas.

Good to see an ex UNT employee become successful, albeit at the NCAA D1-AA level (where he probably should have been in the first place as a college head football coach). ph34r.gif (And that's all I am going to say on that subject). wink.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Personal sidenote:  I'm not a big Jerry Moore fan.  He took talent Fry left at NT and wrecked it trying to run the Nebraska I-back offense.  Tech found out the same thing.  Rots of Ruck!  tongue.gif

Last year on the Appy board, many were wanting to say bye-bye to Moore. He certainly wasn't very popular there. blink.gif

Jerry Moore's record at Appalachian State is 139-67. Chew on that for a little while and then consider that they hung tougher vs. LSU than we did this year. Of course, I'm sure their Div 1-AA team wasn't as "young" as ours.

Appalachian State's only had one losing season under coach Moore in something like 17 years.

Edited by Monkeypox

Bob Tyler came to NT after being out of coaching for a while as I recall. His last coaching job was at Ole Miss.

He hit town with a big time attitude and a Brooks Brothers suit and impressed the interview committee.

Not too much is known about him as he didn't get all the boxes out of the garage before leaving town.

I think he went 5-6 but that's just my memory.

Bob Tyler came to NT after being out of coaching for a while as I recall.  His last coaching job was at Ole Miss.

He hit town with a big time attitude and a Brooks Brothers suit and impressed the interview committee. 

Not too much is known about him as he didn't get all the boxes out of the garage before leaving town.

I think he went 5-6 but that's just my memory.

He coached at Miss St. He came to NT after leaving Miss St. under less than ideal circumstances. It seems that Miss. St. was put on probation shortly after he left (or was asked to leave) and the violations occured while he was coaching there. I think that he left here after some allegations that there was some "irregularities" in the athletic dept's budget, after an "audit" had taken place.

When Tyler had applied for the job, one of the other candidates/applicants was Corky Nelson.

Another in a long line of bone headed decisions by the administration in hiring a football coach. Or in this particular case, NOT hiring the right coach.

Tyler went 2-9 in his one year here.

YEAH BUT EVEN HE PLAYED UT A LOT CLOSER THAN DD (0-92). ONE COMMENT I SAW FROM JERRY MOORE MADE A LOT OF SENSE-- IF YOU CAN'T OR DON'T WANT TO FUND TO BE IN THE TOP 80 IN D-1 THEN 1-AA IS A BETTER PLACE. WE'VE SHOWN OVER AND OVER THAT WE DON'T MEAN TO FUND A D-1 PROGRAM AS A UNIVERSITY. IF YOU THINK THAT IS EVEN A REMOTE PRIORITY FOR LJ THEN YOU ARE NAIVE. IT'S TIME THE BOR AND WHOEVER LJ CHOOSES TO LEAD TAKE A LONG LOOK AT OUR INTENTIONS AND EITHER JUST DO IT IN 1-A OR STOP THIS CHARADE AS NOW THE WORST OF THE WORST CONFERENCE IN D-1 A.

Edited by DallasGreen