Mid-majors change philosophy about money games

NT80

December 09, 2005

NMSU drops opening '06 game against ASU in favor of creampuff

Seeking to open next season with a easier slate, the winless New Mexico State on Thursday informed Arizona State of its decision to drop out of the opening game of the 2006 season.

The move will cost the Aggies $300k if a suitable Division I-A opponent cannot be found.

Instead of the opening the 2006 season against the Sun Devils, NMSU will face off againist a Division I-AA or Division II opponent in hopes of ending the teams losinig streak.

More from the Arizona Republic

"Our philosophy of scheduling has changed. For many years we played one to three money games (against teams in Bowl Championship Series conferences). It's tough to grow our program by doing that, and we put ourselves in tough situations over the years. We're playing in a tougher league (Western Athletic Conference), and we have to schedule smarter."

WAC officials will assist New Mexico State in finding another opponent for ASU. "We have a responsibility to make it work for ASU," Johnson said. "We've found ourselves in this position a few times. It's just one of those things. We have to do what's best for New Mexico State."

La Tech also just announced dropping their game next season against Penn State.

I have to think they are getting pressure from the other WAC schools. Those terrible Sun Belt programs are now horrible WAC programs because they had even farther to fall from the top. Fresno and Boise and even Nevada have to be disgruntled about the lack of familiarity and recognition their new roomates bring. Hawaii is upset under the breath but they have no room to talk only winning 5 games this year.

La Tech's decision is just silly:

1. La Tech often plays these games well and even wins some.

2. As long as La Tech is in the WAC you are going to have a really tough time EVER getting to a bowl game short of winning the league (not likely unless Hawkins goes to CO as rumored.)

3. Take the money and run Bulldogs - flight from HNL to DFW approximately $600 throughout the year.

I bet New Mexico Highlands shows up on NMSU's schedule. I think they beat them 77-0 the last time they played.

I love Sun Devil Stadium - Mean Green at ASU?

GMG

December 09, 2005

Instead of the opening the 2006 season against the Sun Devils, NMSU will face off againist a Division I-AA or Division II opponent in hopes of ending the teams losinig streak.

I'm sorry it's one thing to drop a BCS opponent for another Division IA or even Division IAA opponent. But to drop a BCS opponent and then schedule a game against a Division II opponenent, that is a joke.

La Tech's decision is just silly:

1. La Tech often plays these games well and even wins some.

2. As long as La Tech is in the WAC you are going to have a really tough time EVER getting to a bowl game short of winning the league (not likely unless Hawkins goes to CO as rumored.)

3. Take the money and run Bulldogs - flight from HNL to DFW approximately $600 throughout the year.

It's pretty much the same way in the Sun Belt, win the conference or you don't go to a bowl game, unless so freak occurance happens like last year. If I was Louisiana Tech, I would do all I could to stay out of the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt we all know is the worst Division I-A conference and teams aren't going to drop down in conferences unless they absolutely have basicly kicking and screaming.

That is fine. If La Tech can deal with the fact that they will probably never go bowling in the WAC, then so be it. No sweat off the SBC brow.

It will be interesting though when La La and Monroe start bowling, and that is going to happen before La Tech goes to another bowl in my humble opinion.

The Bulldogs are surrounded by teams of near caliber that are Bowling - Southern Miss, Troy, North Texas and now Arkansas State. All of these teams continue to get props and national exposure while the Bulldogs don't have a season beyond November.

Again, more power to La Tech and their life in the WAC. The SBC has hope of getting stronger. You can't hope that 3,700 miles gets closer.

GMG

That is fine.    If La Tech can deal with the fact that they will probably never go bowling in the WAC, then so be it.  No sweat off the SBC brow. 

It will be interesting though when La La and Monroe start bowling, and that is going to happen before La Tech goes to another bowl in my humble opinion. 

The Bulldogs are surrounded by teams of near caliber that are Bowling - Southern Miss, Troy, North Texas and now Arkansas State.  All of these teams continue to get props and national exposure while the Bulldogs don't have a season beyond November. 

Again, more power to La Tech and their life in the WAC.  The SBC has hope of getting stronger.  You can't hope that 3,700 miles gets closer.

GMG

The techsters will never figure out that the WAC is using them like a rented mule.

Just like us in the SBC, the only way the techies go bowling is if they win their conference or if there is a shortage of bowl teams. Then, the one year they did win the WAC, they got sent to freakin' Boise. laugh.gif

The main reason they insist on staying WACky until they go broke is unabated PRIDE.