NT Daily Editorial...Why do they

UNTFan23

In any case....the American revolution and the fall of the British Empire....

rolleyes.gif

Way over the top.

Standard response for a Teasipper.

In any case, I am a poly sci minor and yes I have read the federalist papers and yes I remember the 2k Election. (I think you are talking about the one where the electoral college didn't elect the candidate with the majority of the votes, right?)

If you are as smart as you come across I am sure that you can see the conceptual comparison here.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about the government, just pay your taxes and we will take care of the rest."

"Don't worry your pretty little head about the university, just pay your tuition/alumni dues and we will take care of the rest."

Seeya,

Shane

What's up with the personal attacks? PRetty lame.

1. I am a junior Poli Sci major at UNT. I went to UT. I did not finish, and I'm GLAD I'm finishing at UNT. Your comment was uncalled for, irrelevant to the debate, and just, silly, in general. I attend every home game, and a small percentage of away games. I purchase UNT gear weekly. Your response to me not agreeing with you is to question my allegiance. Do you think this facilitates good debate about anything?

2. No, no, no. The electoral college was NOT created to elect the popular vote winner. A popular vore winner was not even recorded until 1824. This is NOT the first time that the popular vote winner lost. Protection against factionalism is the main basis for the electoral college. To quote from a ruff I have of a paper I wrote a few years ago:

how does all this relate to today’s electoral college.  Quite simply, it still works in the manner it was meant to.  If we analyze Election 2000, we see the Electoral College working exactly as it should.  For starters, we have to keep in mind that the popular vote was an irrelevant number, which was brought into play by a losing candidate in 1824.  Nowhere does the Constitution, or the 12th amendment, or the United States Code reference “popular vote” as a prerequisite for winning an election.  So, as we reside in Texas, it was quite clear that Mr. Bush would carry our state.  Many people do see this as a reason not to vote, as the state’s electoral votes are not in question.  The same can be said for California, a state that was heavily carried by Democrats.  So, it is impossible to determine what percent of people, if we had all voted, would have voted for Mr. Gore, or President Bush.  And there is no reason to determine it, because it is simply not part of the equation.  What matters is this: Bush took 271 electoral votes, and Gore took 267.  A majority, as set forth by our founding fathers, was taken, and a winner was therefore declared.  Now, if we analyze the county-by-county breakdown, we do see an interesting trend occurring:  The fear of Mr. Hamilton was once again addressed.

In a statistical analysis of square miles of counties won, population of counties won, and the growth of said counties won we get the following data: Gore won 575,184 square miles of counties to Bush’s 2,432,456; Gore’s won counties population totaled 127, 000, 000 while Bush’s total was 143,000,000;The growth of these county’s won, was Gore, at 5% to Bush, at 14%.  The most telling statistic?  Gore won 676 counties.  Bush, in 2,436.  The Federalists nailed it.4  Many of us saw the telltale map during the election.  “Vast stretches of red across the rural heartland, all Republican George W. Bush country.  A coastal perimeter and urban patches of blue, where Democrat Al Gore prevailed.5.  Yes, Gore did receive more tallied popular votes than Bush.  However, this is akin to watching a football game and attempting to declare the winner the person who got the most passing first downs.  The only thing that matters is the final score, and Bush’s campaign did best Gore’s campaign by 4.  The process, once again, survived a “Constitutional Crisis.”

Again, a law school is bad why? When I graduate, I'd much rather give my law school tuition to UNT vice Wesleyan.

I am always here Bhud. Just trying to let an ill horse die.

Last night and the day before I was in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Lafayette covering the Mary Landrieu/Suzie Terrell runoff situation.

If that gets you irked I am sorry. It was just a jab. You'll have those from time to time. I have had my fair share. I mistook your homepage for something else (still not sure what it is?). I apologize.

And as far as what I have been doing since the nation lost its mind? I have been planning a trip to the Alaskan wilderness to see it before the "GOP" covers it in oil.

"We can have wilderness without freedom; we can have wilderness without human life at all, but we cannot have freedom without wilderness, we cannot have freedom without leagues of open space beyond the cities, where boys and girls, men and women, can live at least part of their lives under no control but their own desires and abilities, free from any and all direct administration by their fellow men." --- Edward Abbey, Desert Anarchist.

Seeya,

Shane

I like it CMJ, check out this link. It is a searchable database of Ed's most famous quotes. He was one of the greatest, most under read authors of our time. He was also more than a bit crazy at times and a perverted old man to boot. I love him!

http://www.abbeyweb.net/quotes.htx

Here is a another just for fun.

"We need wilderness because we are wild animals. Every man needs a place where he can go to go crazy in peace. Every Boy Scout deserves a forest to get lost, miserable, and starving in. Even the maddest murderer of the sweetest wife should get a chance for a run to the sanctuary of the hills. If only for the sport of it. For the terror, freedom, and delirium. Because we need brutality and raw adventure, because men and women first learned to love in, under, and all around trees, because we need for every pair of feet and legs about ten leagues of naked nature, crags to leap from, mountains to measure by, deserts to finally die in when the heart fails." --- Edward Abbey, Defender of the American West.

Seeya,

Shane

I coach little kids basketball, 10&U and 12&U now, utilizing the Tom Penders Runnin Horns style basketball, see at UTex in the late 80s-early 90s.

Oh......fearmongering will get you nowhere...but nice quote.

Apology accepted...it's just a sensitive subject, the whole allegiance thing.

Wow-

I know that this topic is old and dead but I just so happened to be reading through some old postings today and I would like to say thanks to BHud for teaching me something. I dont' say that with any sarcasim. Shane- shut up about the Daily, everybody hates them. I am a journalism major too and I am about to graduate and even I know that the Daily is horrible and the school contributes a whole lot more to the Daily's budget than what you lead people to think!