SDSU commits to being Top Tier

eulesseagle

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2248784

Interesting aspects are brought out:

1. SDSU's belief that they can have a TOP 10 program.

2. SDSU's facilities are equal to or better than their peers.

3. SDSU's commitment to go after a TOP TIER coach.

The most striking comment is made on the third to last paragraph.

"In this position, you have to ultimately ask yourself the question of whether the person in charge could get you where you wanted to go. I think it was time for a change."

Plum, I hope you do not salivate too much over the above quotation. laugh.gif

"Give Tom a lot of credit. I think the program's better than it was before," Schemmel said. "But I just thought it lacks some positive energy, and certainly a positive energy that the community can get excited about."

Wish our BOR shared this sentiment.

Craft had one season left on his contract. He's expected to be reassigned within the athletic department at his base pay of $148,000. He had been making $400,000 a year in total compensation.

There's how you avoid a buyout clause.

Schemmel said he believes San Diego State can become a top 10 program, based on "what we have in place here, what we can recruit to here. We've seen what Utah did. They did it, and they have no more assets than we do. And I would argue that we've got more."

I would argue North Texas has more to offer than Utah minus the stadium and conference.

"In this position, you have to ultimately ask yourself the question of whether the person in charge could get you where you wanted to go. I think it was time for a change," said Schemmel, who was hired in July.

Wish RV had this latitude with our HC.

Check back in 5 years and see if they are anywhere near top 10. Make that top 25.

They fired a coach and made some statements. Hell, 4 or 5 years ago UNT made a bunch of big statements.

For every AD that does something grand there are 10 saying they are going to do something grand.

By the way, anybody see how Utah did this year?

I'm just saying it's hard to stay at the top for any non-BCS program. And in my opinion Utah has more going for it than SDSU. How about they get into the top 50 before they start talking about top 10.

I see your point, but I'd disagree that SDSU has less to offer than Utah, except Utah being semi-established already. Just compare the climates between the two places.

I'm just saying it's hard to stay at the top for any non-BCS program. And in my opinion Utah has more going for it than SDSU. How about they get into the top 50 before they start talking about top 10.

Utah got a free Olympic caliber stadium because of the Salt Lake Games. Its a one time shot that the rest of can only pray for.

SDSU has to tell itself the same stuff we do though - near big city, football hotbed, pleny of recruits to go around, etc.

You can't blast their situation without blasting ours to some degree.

They are also 5-7 and finished #65 in the Sagarin Ratings.

I'm just pointing out what I understand to be true, if I'm wrong you can correct me.

SDSU plays at Qualcomm, a stadium that isn't theirs so they get little revenue off of it and even a good crowd there barely halfway fills it.

Utah plays in a newly renovated stadium that is their own.

Attendance this year was fairly even although Utah usually draws more. The last two games for Utah they drew 39 and 36k. The last two for SDSU were 26 and 20k. Their records were close too. SDSU benefitted from having UCLA come to town and playing SJSU didn't hurt either. On the same side of that argument, Utah had USU come to town.

Utah is pretty much the only game in town besides the Jazz.

SDSU has to deal with the Chargers. Not to mention the other thousands of things to do in San Diego.

I used to live an hour away from SDSU and went to a lot of football games. It's just not a college sports town. Can that change? Sure, but it won't be easy. If it was, everybody would be doing it.

I'm just over the whole rah-rah speeches.

Edited by meanrob

There's nothing wrong with having the balls to state your ultimate goal. Seems many loved Fry for basically saying the same thing back in the 70's.

There's nothing wrong with having the balls to state your ultimate goal.  Seems many loved Fry for basically saying the same thing back in the 70's.

I guess so, somebody had the balls to say we would try to raise $90 million (that's the figure I remember) a couple of years back. Doesn't mean we have.

I just think an AD at a place like SDSU coming out and saying they want be top 10 just means that's what he wants to happen. But hell, couldn't anybody SAY something like that.

I'm curious to see who they hire. I've always had a soft spot for SDSU, almost went there myself. I just don't see it having a lot of the tangibles to become a top 25 program.

Now why can't the powers that be get this kind of mentality? Being top tier means thinking top tier, recruiting top tier, and coaching top tier.

We are a light year or two or three from being anywhere close to what the Aztecs have most admirably done in setting higher standards (and that IMHO because of poor athletic administrating at UNT and I'm not talking about Rick Villarreal when I say that, either).

Yet it's one thing to put such grandiose goals on paper (which is where you have to obviously start the process) but its another thing to fund it and to make sure you have the coaching personnel who can pull it off.

Shall we all be reminded just how fast Coach Price took UTEP out of NCAA D1-A oblivion to Top 25 rankings? Anyone think the talent level of UTEP just got that much better overnight?

We've all heard of impact players, but what about impact coaches? Some of you recall what Fry did in his first year with a Mean Green football team who was 1 & 10 the year before he arrived in Denton? smile.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I guess so, somebody had the balls to say we would try to raise $90 million (that's the figure I remember) a couple of years back. Doesn't mean we have.

I just think an AD at a place like SDSU coming out and saying they want be top 10 just means that's what he wants to happen. But hell, couldn't anybody SAY something like that.

I'm curious to see who they hire. I've always had a soft spot for SDSU, almost went there myself. I just don't see it having a lot of the tangibles to become a top 25 program.

I see it as a way to raise the awareness for the program, maybe sell some future season tickets, and I'd do the same thing. Talk it up, maybe set some goals, be positive. And here we are in Texas talking about SDSU because of it. Think anyone in San Deigo is talking about the Mean Green today? blink.gif