Looking back....

bnr2085

Hello everyone, I am a long time viewer of this board and finally decided to start posting. I do have a request. Does anyone have a picture of us taking down the goal posts in 02'? I need something to recall those days since it appears it may be a while before we are there again. Thanks.

Brandon

class of 02'

HA! Thanks for the kind welcome.

As far as my views, here they are:

Dickey - The out of conference wins better begin next year or I would consider next year a loss as well. I no longer consider this football program as having a successfull season by running the table on the Sun Belt. We have reached a point where we must cross the hump by beating the Tulsa's, La Tech, Memphis, So Miss. I give Dickey one more year to accomplish this.

Tortillas - Where I do believe we need to begin new traditions, I truly hate the fact this one has Texas Tech correlations. Let's start our own.

Stadium - The stadium should be the number two priority right now, only behind winning Out of Conference games. The new conference will come with the new stadium and big wins.

Logo - I do like the new logo. At first after seeing the examples posted on this board and the amount of money that was spent on it. The logo has grown on me.

I love this school. In fact I wish I was still there (I am sure many of us do). When I was in school I often thought of how nice it would be just to have to worry about a full time job and not school. Now I realize how much I took those times for granted! HAHA

GMG

Welcome to the board!  Sorry, I don' t have a picture, but it sure was fun!  What are your views on the following issues:

Coach Dickey?

Tortillas?

Should we get a new stadium or new conference first if given the choice?

and How do you feel about the new logo?

GMG!!! laugh.gif

HA! Thanks for the kind welcome.

As far as my views, here they are:

Dickey - The out of conference wins better begin next year or I would consider next year a loss as well.  I no longer consider this football program as having a successfull  season by running the table on the Sun Belt.  We have reached a point where we must cross the hump by beating the Tulsa's, La Tech, Memphis, So Miss.  I give Dickey one more year to accomplish this.

This is not only a question for you, but for the rest of the board as well.

Does your Out of conference win negate a loss in conference?

If we lose more than one SBC game I consider the season a loss, I don't care about OOC record. If we beat Texas and lose an SBC game or two, our win over Texas is considered a fluke, but does get us recognition. It says, Texas is overrated more than it says North Texas is underrated. I would rather lose to Texas and win every game we are supposed to. In a perfect world, we win both cool.gif and it is what we should be striving to do.

In my opinion, we beat the teams we are supposed to. (That is how lowly I think of this conference.) If we were to win every OOC game next year and lose every in conference game, our season is a fluke. I care about winning OOC games, but I care more about not losing the conference games because our conference mates can't beat out of conference teams either.

And I'd be happy with just winning every conf. game next year with the backwards step we took this year.

Edited by MeanMag

My opinion is, yes, an out of conference win of the magnitude of Texas does indeed negate several losses in conference. The reason is nobody will be talking about the beloved mean green beating ULM or FIU, however if we knocked off someone who we were not "supposed" to beat the buzz about North Texas would be huge.

If we pulled an upset like the ones you mentioned, I would highly doubt we would have the trouble suggested in winning Sun Belt games.

GMG!

If we lose more than one SBC game I consider the season a loss, I don't care about OOC record.  If we beat Texas and lose an SBC game or two, our win over Texas is considered a fluke, but does get us recognition.  It says, Texas is overrated more than it says North Texas is underrated.  I would rather lose to Texas and win every game we are supposed to.  In a perfect world, we win both  cool.gif and it is what we should be striving to do.

In my opinion, we beat the teams we are supposed to.  (That is how lowly I think of this conference.)  If we were to win every OOC game next year and lose every in conference game, our season is a fluke.  I care about winning OOC games, but I care more about not losing the conference games because our conference mates can't beat out of conference teams either.

And I'd be happy with just winning every conf. game next year with the backwards step we took this year.

No. I would expect an OOC win to be in addition to wins in conf.

I would rather lose to Texas and win every game we are supposed to.  In a perfect world, we win both  cool.gif and it is what we should be striving to do.

Totally agree.

In my opinion, we beat the teams we are supposed to.

Agree. Consistently. Year in and year out. But keep building for OOC success.

Agree again, but I'd like to see UNT be more competitive in OOC next year, as well. Frankly, I don't expect much in Austin next year, but we should be able to get a pretty good guage on how/if the MG has improved with the first couple of games next year. blink.gif

My opinion is, yes, an out of conference win of the magnitude of Texas does indeed negate several losses in conference.  The reason is nobody will be talking about the beloved mean green beating ULM or FIU, however if we knocked off someone who we were not "supposed" to beat the buzz about North Texas would be huge.

If we pulled an upset like the ones you mentioned, I would highly doubt we would have the trouble suggested in winning Sun Belt games.

GMG!

It would be big but the momentum would be totally lost if we don't take care of business in conference. We beat Tech one year we went 2-9 and it didn't do much for attendance at the end of the year. NMSU destroyed Arizona State one year but didn't take care of business in conference. See how attendance was at the last two games of the year the year we beat Tech and hung tough with A$M. We had about 3000 for the last game of that year .

I think Texas is a bad example anyway. Because sorry folks, that just ain't happening next year.

Well, we really need our cake and we should get to eat it.

I agree that we need to take care of conference games. Win those and ultimately that's how you end up going to a bowl game (see '01, '02, '03 and '04).

However, winning OOC games help determine which bowl game you get into. I'm not expecting a win over Texas next year, but I do expect us to be competitive against other mid-majors. If we develop a reputation as a contender in mid-major games, we look more attractive to better bowls and eventually better conferences. As bnr2085 said, if we take care of some of those OOC wins, we shouldn't have any troubles in conference.

Tortillas - Where I do believe we need to begin new traditions, I truly hate the fact this one has Texas Tech correlations.  Let's start our own.

Don't worry. Some bitching crybaby has succeeded in pissing on the memory of the '88 team and has finally gotten their way. You shouldn't have to be bothered with them anymore after this season.

Rick