How bout those Akron Zips...

FirefightnRick

With 1:33 left on the clock and the ball on their own 19 yardline, the Zips go down the field using their tightend and tall recievers to win the game. The final pass was from the NI 36 yardline with 19 seconds to go and no timeouts left. Their reciever Hickson(68 catches 1147 yds on the season) got behind the NI defense and pulls in a post pass into the endzone.

You gotta love those exciting teams who never say die.

Rick

With 1:33 left on the clock and the ball on their own 19 yardline, the Zips go down the field using their tightend and tall recievers to win the game.  The final pass was from the NI 36 yardline with 19 seconds to go and no timeouts left.  Their reciever Hickson(68 catches 1147 yds on the season) got behind the NI defense and pulls in a post pass into the endzone.

Rick

On those games all we can do is sit back, watch and enjoy, then dream a little about how much fun it would be if it were our Eagles out there.

With 1:33 left on the clock and the ball on their own 19 yardline, the Zips go down the field using their tightend and tall recievers to win the game.  The final pass was from the NI 36 yardline with 19 seconds to go and no timeouts left.  Their reciever Hickson(68 catches 1147 yds on the season) got behind the NI defense and pulls in a post pass into the endzone.

Rick

You are kidding me. I thought teams that lost to Army weren't worthy of going to bowls. That makes two now.

Rick

We've really hit rock bottom when we are jealous of Akron's offensive system.

Please let next year be better.

And yes I know they produced Frye and what not and respect the mid-major - its just hard to come to terms with MY personal being jealous of Akron.

And yes, teams that lose to Army probably suck. blink.gif

And teams that lose to teams that lost to Army REALLY suck. tongue.gif

(I'm jealous of ASU too - along with 100 or so other schools probably better than us this year. Hope you all win the bowl game!)

Rick

I'm hopeful that we have a more balanced offense next year. A more exciting offense, more formations, more pass plays, maybe more than 1 slant pass per game, maybe a full back leading the run through the line. Who knows? Until next year I will remain hopeful.

And teams that lose to teams that lost to Army REALLY suck. tongue.gif

Maybe but two of 'em is going to bowls now. At least we had the decency to lose up there rather than at home and did manage to do better than get 44 yards on 22 carries. Heck we at least SCORED on Army.

I'm still pretty giddy. This all happened about 2 years sooner than I expected. I really didn't expect to be in the conference hunt until 2007.

that was a great game. NIU's tailback, Wolfe, had a field day running all over Akron (close to 300 yards if Im not mistaken)...then they blew a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter. he is only 5'7" 175... reminded me a little of sproules (sp?).

That catch by Hickson was even more remarkable because he had been out of the game with an injury until that play... everyone thought he was out there as a decoy and instead he runs a post (puts a great move on the DB) and catches the game winning TD.

NIU choked. But it was fun to watch.

Oh and thank God we arent in the MAC. Seems like all of their games are played Monday-Thursday. You think we have attendance problems? A shudder to think what it would look like with several thursday or tuesday night games. That stadium at their championship game looked EMPTY.

Maybe but two of 'em is going to bowls now. At least we had the decency to lose up there rather than at home and did manage to do better than get 44 yards on 22 carries. Heck we at least SCORED on Army.

I'm still pretty giddy. This all happened about 2 years sooner than I expected. I really didn't expect to be in the conference hunt until 2007.

i'm really happy for you guys - the first bowl is an unbelievable experience you'll never forget. I know you'll have a blast - but I am sorry you won't get to do it in NO. Like many have said, if its not a BCS bowl, where else would you rather have a bowl game?

I put the smiley to note the sarcasm by the way....

Oh and thank God we arent in the MAC. Seems like all of their game huh.gif s are played Monday-Thursday. You think we have attendance problems? A shudder to think what it would look like with several thursday or tuesday night games. That stadium at their championship game looked EMPTY.

The one Tuesday and several Thursdays have been bad enough. I've been told that the league has been offered a few shots at a Wednesday night ESPN game but so far none of the Bible Belt uh Sun Belt teams approached have been willing to break that barrier. huh.gif

i'm really happy for you guys - the first bowl is an unbelievable experience you'll never forget. I know you'll have a blast - but I am sorry you won't get to do it in NO. Like many have said, if its not a BCS bowl, where else would you rather have a bowl game?

I put the smiley to note the sarcasm by the way....

I caught it.

You are kidding me. I thought teams that lost to Army weren't worthy of going to bowls. That makes two now.

I never said ASU wasn't worthy of going to a bowl game. I said it's a shame ASU is going and not ULL since ULL, at this time, is a better team in comparing how they looked against us vs ASU against us. It's obvious that ULL would represent the conference this year in Lafayette much better than ASU in most ways. To me, a much better match up between ASU and whoever they end up playing in the bowl game would be Akron and ULL. Of course that isn't going to happen, it's just my oppinion.

And going back to my original post, Akron is an exciting team to watch right now, which to me many passing teams are. Another good game for them this year was the Bowling Green game. I for one appreciate the MAC and C-USA for giving me something to watch during the weeknights. I'll miss football season once the basketball season begins after Feb 4th.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The one Tuesday and several Thursdays have been bad enough. I've been told that the league has been offered a few shots at a Wednesday night ESPN game but so far none of the Bible Belt uh Sun Belt teams approached have been willing to break that barrier.      huh.gif

I would go every week to a tuesday night game if it meant us getting into the MAC. They are worlds better than the Sun Belt.