DMN:regents consider change in hiring practice

OldTimer

regents consider change in hiring practice

11:52 PM CST on Thursday, December 1, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – The Board of Regents will consider today a policy change that would allow university president Norval Pohl or an employee he designates to sign contracts for head coaches in every sport but football, as long as the base salary for the term of the contract does not exceed $500,000.

Policy requires that the board of regents approve the contracts.

regents consider change in hiring practice

11:52 PM CST on Thursday, December 1, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – The Board of Regents will consider today a policy change that would allow university president Norval Pohl or an employee he designates to sign contracts for head coaches in every sport but football, as long as the base salary for the term of the contract does not exceed $500,000.

Policy requires that the board of regents approve the contracts.

Ok so why the double standard for Football???? blink.gif

Seems like they are taking even more power from RV, almost to the point of why even stay??

Edited by untbowler

Ok so why the double standard for Football???? blink.gif

Seems like they are taking even more power from RV, almost to the point of why even stay??

This could be read another way, that RV's choices now need to be ratified anyway, and that he would be the designated employee. I think the big news is that RV or the president won't need the BOR approve up to 1/2 a million dollars.

Well RV already had his hands tied with DD as I see it, this is more power for him, and maybe he can use this to work back to Football. Bobby Ray knows RV would probably cut DD loose so he can't give him that power, or maybe they plan on making the Football coach a higher maximum like 3/4 million or a cool million dollars.

This could be read another way, that RV's choices now need to be ratified anyway, and that he would be the designated employee. I think the big news is that RV or the president won't need the BOR approve up to 1/2 a million dollars.

Well RV already had his hands tied with DD as I see it, this is more power for him, and maybe he can use this to work back to Football. Bobby Ray knows RV would probably cut DD loose so he can't give him that power, or maybe they plan on making the Football coach a higher maximum like 3/4 million or a cool million dollars.

I am thinking RV's only hires since he took over have been the 2 Softball coaches, Swimming Coach? and JJ.

Everyone else came from the Helwig, Interim Ward era.

How about our Napoleon of the North as DD's eventual replacement?!?!? blink.gif Little feller seems to know so damn much about college football and how to lead a major Texas university that has had a head coach on staff for 8 years with still an under. 500 record? (Don't get me started on the 17 year W/L record of another coach at UNT).

And don't give me this "but we played all those games vs the UT's and OU's on past schedules, either. No rage, rants and epistles on any of this if DD would have merely won the games listed below; and games that a team that would go to 4 bowls had no business losing and should have looked at the following schools as OOC (in most cases) appetizers:

Forget the Big West era with DD--not too impressive like: 7 & 25? blink.gif

Losses That Would Tell Most Astute (and awake?) College Football Fans About A DD-Led UNT Football Program:

Disguised DD Success #!: A then "non SBC" member Troy U beats DD's Mean Green; yet DD takes his team to 1'st New Orleans. Troy U wanted to also be a charter member of the SBC and had they gotten their wish: It's Troy U in the 1'st No's Bowl (and not Darrell "I Count My Lucky SBC/

Bottom 10 Stars Every Day) Dickey's football program. ohmy.gif

Disguised DD Success #2: What is it with these less than 5 year old upstart Florida football programs that a longer "established" DD football program cannot seem to ever win against? huh.gif U of South Florida 24 UNT 17 (DD's 2'nd bowl year that his SBC/Bottom 10 conference allows him to again back into yet another year)! mad.gif

Disguised DD Success #3: Most thought UNT (even with 2 "backed into" bowl games) would have beaten Air Force Academy this season. Yet, its a known OOC team, on the road and even a Booger Kennedy-led Mean Green "D" cannot make it a close game with the Falcons. Air Force 31 UNT 7 NOTE: About this time of DD's most illustrious career at UNT, NT fans and alums begin to wonder if a DD-led football program can beat anyone outside the SBC/Bottom 10. ph34r.gif

2003 Addendum: NO's Bowl loss to 4'th place CUSA team

DD Disguised Success # 4: Another 1-AA Florida (and future SBC) team in business less than 5 years comes to Fouts Field and beats Dickey Ball 20=17; once again, had FAU been an official SBC/Bottom 10 member in 2004, which team from the Miami area goes to the NO's Bowl instead of DD's team?

2004 Addendum: NO's Bowl loss to 4'th place CUSA team.

All DD Disguies Lifted in 2005: You can only disguise yourself so long (even in the SBC/Bottom 10). We are all finding out that just maybe our recruiting has not been where we all thought it had been: Tulsa U gives us our worse home loss in our history and Louisiana Tech U schools us in the art of playing college football with many Texas HS football recruits, but recruits who ended up in Ruston (instead of Denton, Texas).

2006 wink.gif

What surprises will Dickey Ball give us in yet another season (his 9'th for crissakes') in Mean Green Country?

Oh yeah, almost forgot: You All Like That?

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Sounds to me like the Board doesn't care who gets hired for any coaching position in any sport except football, but that football is important enough that they want input.

As many minor sports NT coaches we've had with under. 500 W/L records over the last couple of decades (or so) I'd say you are about 100% correct.

GBT!