Dickey-Gate? DMN blurb? Delusional!

Green Grenade II

I read the mini-article in the DMN about Dickey and Rick V meeting to dicuss the dissapointment in this season. Why meet to discuss the season anyway. Dickey stays and the excuses continue.

We are North Texas, not Notre Dame, or even Houston. Or Even Tulsa. Or even Louisiana Tech. Or even Florida Atlantic. Or even...and the list goes on and on.

Tell me the good new about next fall. How much better we'll be, and why in hell anyone would drive to Austin to see us get our butts handed to us 70-0, and then pack Fouts to see SMU romp past us like we're not even there. Tell me why we'll be so much better, or does that mean 3-8 instead of 2-9? Tell me, all you Dickey fans.

Dickey, Dickey, he's your man - if he can do it anyone can!!!

Go Dickey!

Does that make you feel better Rick?

I think it is funny that DMN talks about RV & DD meeting but I have heard all year long that DD and RV hardly talk to each other and there is plenty of bad blood between them.

Edited by KingDL1

After reading about that meeting from the paper, there are some really sad issues to come out of it.

Dickey says they might go after a jc qb if they think he can get up to speed at running their offense. That statement in itself ought to be enough to can him. Are you kidding me - thats a joke right? We have two very capable people of running this offense. Actually, we have 50+ guys who can run it. I am sure that most of the players on this team can hand the ball off and throw a pass 10 yards.

And what did anyone see this year, that leads you to believe this team will have a chance against SMU? Forget Texass, there is no way this team this year is capable of beating this year's SMU team for sure. This is a pathetic team, and I am sorry to say, it is not going to get that much better in one season.

And what did anyone see this year, that leads you to believe this team will have a chance against SMU?  Forget Texass, there is no way this team this year is capable of beating this year's SMU team for sure.  This is a pathetic team, and I am sorry to say, it is not going to get that much better in one season.

Don't tell that to the DD L&A's

dry.gifbiggrin.gif

I read the mini-article in the DMN about Dickey and Rick V meeting to dicuss the dissapointment in this season. Why meet to discuss the season anyway. Dickey stays and the excuses continue.

We are North Texas, not Notre Dame, or even Houston. Or Even Tulsa. Or even Louisiana Tech. Or even Florida Atlantic. Or even...and the list goes on and on.

Tell me the good new about next fall. How much better we'll be, and why in hell anyone would drive to Austin to see us get our butts handed to us 70-0, and then pack Fouts to see SMU romp past us like we're not even there. Tell me why we'll be so much better, or does that mean 3-8 instead of 2-9? Tell me, all you Dickey fans.

I don't like Dickey's performance this year and I don't like his overall record either, but you tell me what we'll do about replacing Dickey. Unless you've got a pile of money and a coach lined up, you're wasting breath yapping on like you can get rid of Dickey and buy another coach.

It's not like we don't want better coaching, but I think a lot of us realize that even if Dickey blew it this year, the BOR is probably going to keep him around for at least one more year.

I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping DD pulls his head out and recruits the best players he can from wherever he can and that he gets the team to where it needs to be. While he may be guaranteed another year, I don't know if he'll have a place at UNT if he serves up another crap season like this one.

KingDL- Care to elaborate on the bad blood between RV and DD? I have guesses, but

I could be wrong.

Edited by meangreendork

he'll have a place at UNT if he serves up another crap season like this one.

KingDL- Care to elaborate on the bad blood between RV and DD? I have guesses, but

I could be wrong.

IMO if there is Bad Blood between the two it probably started when RV was ready for DD to put up "For Sale Signs" after the 2001 ULM loss, of course the rest is history now and that was probably when RV had more power to control the hiring and firing of his staff.

I don't like Dickey's performance this year and I don't like his overall record either, but you tell me what we'll do about replacing Dickey. Unless you've got a pile of money and a coach lined up, you're wasting breath yapping on like you can get rid of Dickey and buy another coach.

It's not like we don't want better coaching, but I think a lot of us realize that even if Dickey blew it this year, the BOR is probably going to keep him around for at least one more year.

I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping DD pulls his head out and recruits the best players he can from wherever he can and that he gets the team to where it needs to be. While he may be guaranteed another year, I don't know if he'll have a place at UNT if he serves up another crap season like this one.

I could be wrong.

The shame to many with all these last 8 years is how some good NT fans have become..........DARRELLL DICKEY-IZED. Mediocrity is a disease that has spread on the UNT campus; but just like a cancerous arm, you eventually have to just cut the thing off.

If a UTEP can hire a Price, and a UNT who once hired (who many of you "Dickey-ized" would have said back then would be an "un-hirable" Hayden Fry) then can't most see that we are not any less of a school than UTEP; in fact, many would say that UNT's upside for eventual long-term NCAA D1-A success will always be better than that of UTEP. So pleezzzzzzzzzz.....just get that DD level stinkin' thinkin' out of your systems. You'll feel better about yourself and your alma mater's future. wink.gif

The present NT head football coach has to have your apathy, acceptance of his "woe is us" mentality and a bottom of the rung SBC/Bottom 10 league existence to be successful and to fool a helluva' lot of well meaning fans. Hellsbells, some of you are ready for him to run for freakin' President next election (because you perceive him to be one of the good ol' boys). Just take your thought processing back to the numerous radio opps in recent years that Darrell Dickey could have said good things about UNT (who writes his paychecks) and its loyal fans, but instead, he chose the low road with the approval of the Napoleon of the North (who some still didn't recognize his name as even a Mean Green football fan until he gets his appointment to the BOR's. We have some real stranger than hell things (and decisions) happening at our school now, folks. This NT Ex will be glad when this era is history and thats for damn sure.

YET...........an eventual change will be cause for great celebration whenever it occurs and when UNT shows some Dickey-ized brow-beat fans/alums that we can be just like a UTEP and get a coach in here who doesn't have time to bash his employer or its fans, but rather a coach (who like Price did for UTEP) puts UNT in the Top 25 (where we haven't been since the 1970's). How soon will such lofty heights as Top 25 have some of you wondering why we didn't do it sooner?

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

PS: These non-stop posts on DD are not for longtime GMG.com members, posters or readers of posts, but they are for the on-campus lurkers who we know are now frequenting this board (especially now) and I (from my standpoint) am not going to to miss a beat with the overall discontent and disenchantment many of us feel (and have felt) toward Darrell Dickey for longer than just this year, some of that discontent not even related to W/L's if you know what I mean on that.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

IMO if there is Bad Blood between the two it probably started when RV was ready for DD to put up "For Sale Signs" after the 2001 ULM loss, of course the rest is history now and that was probably when RV had more power to control the hiring and firing of his staff.

I heard that the BOR stepped in and kept RV from firing DD in 2001 and were also responsible for the extensions against RV wishes. I don't think RV is on board with a good part of DD's philosophy. Well the whole thing has caused bad blood between them and they talk to each other as little as possible.

meangreendork - I would think that RV and the BOR could figure out lots of ways to come up with money for a coach if they got on the same page. Keep in mind a stronger coach would bring more fans, more donations, and more sponsors. Next consider what a perfect stepping stone school UNT is right now, with attendance up a BOR and a AD that are building the facilities and the sports programs. To top it off we are in a Conference that if you team goes just over .500 you will probably be the Conference Champion and hero of the school.

SO For a good Coach trying to make a name for himself as Head Coach money is not necessarily the most important part. Also Money can be deferred, loaded on the back-end of the contract, set-up as incentives and so on. This "we don't have money argument" is a joke.

I heard that the BOR stepped in and kept RV from firing DD in 2001 and were also responsible for the extensions against RV wishes. I don't think RV is on board with a good part of DD's philosophy. Well the whole thing has caused bad blood between them and they talk to each other as little as possible.

meangreendork - I would think that RV and the BOR could figure out lots of ways to come up with money for a coach if they got on the same page. Keep in mind a stronger coach would bring more fans, more donations, and more sponsors. Next consider what a perfect stepping stone school UNT is right now, with attendance up a BOR and a AD that are building the facilities and the sports programs. To top it off we are in a Conference that if you team goes just over .500 you will probably be the Conference Champion and hero of the school.

SO For a good Coach trying to make a name for himself as Head Coach money is not necessarily the most important part. Also Money can be deferred, loaded on the back-end of the contract, set-up as incentives and so on. This "we don't have money argument" is a joke.

Good post, Tony.

Rick V is a promoter, ie, a P.T. Barnum, a Bill Veek (formerly of MLB fame), a Russ Potts (of SMU Mustang Mania fame) and Rick Villerreal knows he can't package and market Darrell Dicky-Ball style of football at a non-BCS locale like Denton, Texas. He knows how many Mean Green fans have felt about DD for awhile now, especially in light of DD's numerous condescending remarks about his very employer and its fans (and all that on the radio to boot). blink.gif Rick Villarreal also knows that we of UNT are better than just 15,000 fans per game (minimal) turnstile numbers, too.

Now if our Napoleon of the North will just do this: LET RICK VILLARREAL PERFORM THE JOB WE PAY HIM TO DO AND THAT'S TO RUN THE DAMN UNT ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT (and that includes all hirings and firings). wink.gif These are not the best of times at UNT no matter how many of you have been blind-sided (Dickey-ized) and have bought into the disguised successes of DD just as KingDL1 (and many others) have described; and to those who (just like me) finally got their heads out of the sand to take a closer look at whats really been going on with all this in Denton.

Folks, there are many in the SBC/Bottom 10 who do not want there to ever be a UNT when Darrell Dickey is not on the staff as its head football coach now that they have passed us by; and there are many of our collegiate collegues here in the DFW Metroplex who are merely just shaking their heads at what they are seeing happen at UNT.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Good post, Tony.

Folks, there are many in the SBC/Bottom 10 who do not want there to ever be a UNT when Darrell Dickey is not on the staff as its head football coach now that they have passed us by; and there are many of our collegiate collegues here in the DFW Metroplex who are merely just shaking their heads at what they are seeing happen at UNT.

One addendum - as shown by the DMN blog yesterday, there are thousands more who not only don't care about us, but react with ill shock at our mention as a "real" football school. I never expect the masses to pull for us and like us, but I would enjoy and end to the snickering and mockery we have all experienced from different people at the mention of the school we got our degrees from.

I'm just curious. Why was DD given such a long extension on his contract when there were not ANY schools trying to hire him away from us.

Four straight bowl games, and a 26 game conference winning streak and the "coaching market place" was still not impressed?

What sort of degrees do the members of our BOR have anyway?

BTW, the last head coach that was hired away from North Texas was Jerry Moore.