question about UNT athletics and why this

calvin

here's my $ .02 which is probably not worth even that much. The difference I see between Jones and Dickey is that Jones doesn't take every broadcast opoprtunity to complain about his facilities or what they are up against at NT. Jones doesn't kiss up to the fans per se, but he doesn't get sidetracked into a "whoa is me" conversation. Dickey made it him versus the fans, Jones hasn't done that. (to my knowledge anyway) I think if Dickey would have done his interviews without badmouthing the institution then some of the venom spewed here and elsewhere wouldn't be quite as harsh. I'm not saying the losing (or even loosing for that matter wink.gif )doesn't chew on us, but if you are going to talk bad about MY school and say that even though myself and several thousand others bother to show up on Sat it's still "the team against the world" then you better be ready to hear some criticism when you screw up.

I made the trip to LSU with the FB team and Coach Jones was on board. It was amazing to see the reception he got at LSU at the restraunt, at the stadium, and by LSU officials. It was like he had never left. They even had his picture in the restraunt in his playing days and as an assistant coach with Shaq, his prize recruit. I got to know him a lot better, and what a great representative of NT he is. The man is conversational with fans, witty, smiles often, and genuinely a pleasure to be around. It may take one more year, but I am positive he will suceed. One more year with DD, and we are 1-AA at best if not entirely losing the FB program.

here's my $ .02 which is probably not worth even that much.  The difference I see between Jones and Dickey is that Jones doesn't take every broadcast opoprtunity to complain about his facilities or what they are up against at NT.  Jones doesn't kiss up to the fans per se, but he doesn't get sidetracked into a "whoa is me" conversation.  Dickey made it him versus the fans, Jones hasn't done that.  (to my knowledge anyway)  I think if Dickey would have done his interviews without badmouthing the institution then some of the venom spewed here and elsewhere wouldn't be quite as harsh.  I'm not saying the losing (or even loosing for that matter  wink.gif  )doesn't chew on us, but if you are going to talk bad about MY school and say that even though myself and several thousand others bother to show up on Sat it's still "the team against the world" then you better be ready to hear some criticism when you screw up.

Exactly. I saw Coach Jones at the ASU game Saturday. He took time to speak to everyone that spoke to him and seemed like a really nice man. I've never heard anything bad about Coach Jones from those who came in contact with him. In fact, I seem to remember some of the basketball tailgaters mentioning that he came out to the parking lot and thanked them for being there.

JJ doesn't have a facility to complain about. The SuperPit as a facility is lightyears ahead of Fouts.

JJ came from a winning program before he got here. He is a proven coach.

Dickey doesn't have many skins on the wall, and the ones that he does are disregarded by many on this board because it's not big enough of an acomplishment blink.gif

I don't know why slinker has been here for so long either, but I don't know a whole lot about the womens bball landscape.

I remember JJ's very first scrimmage at NT, he made a point to walk around and thank, talk and listen to fans that were there, much like RV does. DD just seems more distant from fans to me, but he's always been cordial when we pass. Coaching is as much about PR with fans as with recruits. They need to sell their programs and present a positive outlook; I don't always hear that from DD.

Edited by NT80

also if Jones played in the calliber of basketball conference that Dickey plays in with football, then you could probally expect a little quicker results from Jones but the Sun Belt is not as pathetic in basketball like football

The current RPI of the Sunbelt is 15 out of 32. It's not that stellar. tongue.gif

Edited by CMJ

JJ may get a better pass with the fans by virtue of the fact that football is king here TX. Don't be shocked though if JJ doesn't have at least above a .500 season this year, that they will move in a different direction. There is absolutely no reason why a basketball team can not have success here at UNT.

Hmm, good question. Best question by Calvin, yet.

Most of the points, all are good and true by the way, about JJ have already been mentioned.

I had a long winded response to this, but to do so would be airing out some laundry that doesn't belong here. Besides, the last time I did, it was addressed to me personally by individuals from the university so I know they know how I feel about it, and I understand where they are coming from too. It wouldn't make much difference in the matter anyways what I type here so I won't.

Know this that I have been just as frustrated with the football program as anyone relating to more than just the wins and losses over the course of several years now. Trust me when I type that the coaches fully understand our frustrations and I have given it enough time now to cool down to say that I feel comfortable that they will do everything in their power to right this ship. This season may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. If I am to believe the reports in the DMN and from talking to sources on campus I get the feeling that everyone inside the AD dept seems to be putting on their thinking caps and working towards a solution............together. At least that is what I'm asking Santa for Christmas this season.

Rick