Help me out on Flanigan

Cooley

Can someone explain to me why the uproar over Ramon Flanagan?

Darrell Dickey hired him 7 years ago to join his staff. I'm not sure if he has been the offensive coordinator each of those years.

Anyway, I'm sure that in preparing for each game, Darrell Dickey conducts team meetings with coaches through out the week. Extensive game plans are discussed with the coaches collectively and individually. I would think that Dickey's footprints are all over the game plan and plays to be called. (During certain game situations)

Each game that I have seen, DD has always had a head set on to talk to Flanagan, and others, upstairs. In a critical 3rd and long situation, I would think that Dickey knows that a draw play is coming. Since we often can't get a play off in the allotted time, I would think that Dickey has vetoed the play or had to approve the play. At the least, discussed the play.

After each game, I'm sure that the coaches again gather, collectively and individually, to review game film; critiquing what worked and what didn't. As an employee of DD, I would think that Darrell feels and have felt for 6 other years that Flanagan continues to play call according to HIS game plan.

Now I don't know if Flanagan is a good coordinator or not, but he continues to perform to Dickey's liking.

If you want to see a change in play calling, you have to have a change in head coach. You don't get to fire the OC and keep the coach. Generally, when coaches are reassigned or terminated it is usually because of philosophical differences. This does not appear to be the case with Flanagan. If Leach at Texas Tech asked Flanagan to take over as his OC, I’m sure you would see the same offense production that you see from Tech now (40 points per game)

Folks, play calling is totally on the head coach. It makes no sense for Dickey to replace Flanagan when Dickey has sanctioned the plays. (7 years now)

Lastly, did anyone see that Mean Green defense this year? Offense and defense were equally pathetic in 05.

I get a kick out of the PA announcer with his trademark "First Down".

If he just shouted that out for each first down by our opponents this year, he would have lost his voice after each game.

Flanigan was QBs coach before he was the offensive coordinator. He became the OC in 2002. Coincidentally, this is when we stopped running the option.

"Flanigan calls the play from the press box and then Dickey gives it the OK, which is something that has evolved since Flanigan became the OC in 2002.

'Ramon calls the plays, and nothing is going out there that I don’t approve,' Dickey said. 'But as the years have gone by, I don’t override calls as much as I do give him reminders throughout the game — ‘remember we said if they line up like this, we are going to try and do this.’ The other thing that I’ll do more is let him know down and distance, let him know what they have been giving us defensively. I’m really more feeding him information that he already knows we have discussed during the week on how we want to adjust to it.'"

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...mn.5f3a56e.html

Edited by Monkeypox

Flanigan was QBs coach before he was the offensive coordinator.  He became the OC in 2002.  Coincidentally, this is when we stopped running the option.

"Flanigan calls the play from the press box and then Dickey gives it the OK, which is something that has evolved since Flanigan became the OC in 2002.

'Ramon calls the plays, and nothing is going out there that I don’t approve,' Dickey said. 'But as the years have gone by, I don’t override calls as much as I do give him reminders throughout the game — ‘remember we said if they line up like this, we are going to try and do this.’ The other thing that I’ll do more is let him know down and distance, let him know what they have been giving us defensively. I’m really more feeding him information that he already knows we have discussed during the week on how we want to adjust to it.'"

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...mn.5f3a56e.html

Good stuff

If what you are all saying is true then why do schools have offensive coordinators at all? If Mike Leach could run the same offense with any ol' offensive coordinator then why not fire Flanigan because he's not doing anything. From the way you make it sound he's collecting a paycheck to keep Dickey company in his headset on Saturdays. dry.gif

I think he does a little more than that (and fouls it up).

Okay, this guy is a mess as an OC, I'll give you that. But let's not be too hard on him? So he has a bad temper, and sees ten men in the box and thinks RUN....who doesnt? Maybe we just need to re-assess his strengths and put him where he can do the most good? I admit I have lost faith in him as much as everyone else for calling plays, but anything can be salvaged. After watching him fly through three rows of fans in less than a second to get to Bill, I realized RF can fight off a block and get to his man! Yeah, he was a QB, but talent is talent. This guy should be working with the linebackers. Sure, we have skill and speed already at LB, but we dont have the Flanny-level intensity. I think we may have stumbled onto something? The term "out-coached" could be shouted from the sideline as a signal for an all-out blitz.

Without realizing it, Bill may have created a defensive genius!!!!!