Important Info on NCAA Recruiting Regs

Harry

Guys, UNT Director of Football Operations Mike Barela asked me to share this important NCAA Recruiting Regulation information with the Fans at GMG.com.

This topic has come into discussion in relation with the Eagle Angels and their efforts.

Please understand, the Eagle Angels are a big asset for us and have been critical in our recruiting efforts. Coach Barela has said I could provide his information if anyone had any specific questions.

Final points, please follow these important NCAA guidelines and support the efforts of the Eagle Angels whenever you can! GMG!

Please direct questions or comments to:

Mike Barela

Director of Football Operations

University of North Texas

940-369-7638 - office

940-565-3470 - fax

#############################################

NCAA REGULATIONS

NCAA RULE 13.01.5

In Division 1, REPRESENTATIVES of athletics interest are PROHIBITED from making in-person, on-or-off campus recruiting contact with a prospect and his parents / guardian on or off campus.

KEY POINT:

A “representative” of NT athletic interests is:

An individual who is known (or should have been known) by a member of NT’s executive or athletic administration to:

A) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting NT athletics.

Have made financial contributions to the Athletic Dept. or to an athletic booster organization of NT.

C) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletic program.

D) Bought or received tickets to a NT athletics event.

Once an individual is identified as an “ATHLETIC REPRESENTATIVE”, the person retains that identity forever.

INTERPRETATIONS:

1. A representative of a Div. 1 institution is prohibited from making in-person, on-or-off campus recruiting contact with a prospect and his parents / guardian on or off campus.

LIMITED EXCEPTION: You may have contact with a prospect – provided the prospect has already signed a National Letter of Intent and NT is aware you are making these contacts. Example – summer employment.

2. A Div. 1 representative is prohibited from writing or telephoning a prospect and his parents or legal guardians.

LIMITED EXCEPTION: You may have a phone conversation with a prospect only if the prospect initiates the call. This must not be prearranged by a NT staff member and you are not permitted to have a recruiting conversation.

3. A representative is prohibited from contacting a prospect’s coach, principal, or counselor in an attempt to evaluate the prospect.

LIMITED EXCEPTION: NCAA rules do not preclude you from viewing a prospect’s contest on your initiative, but you may not contact the prospect, their parents / relatives, or legal guardians.

WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A PROSPECT?

 Do feel free to attend a high school or junior college event. You simply cannot have any contact with the prospective student-athlete or his relatives.

 Should you find yourself seated next to a prospect, or parents of a prospect, DO NOT initiate a conversation. If a conversation is initiated with you, respond in a civil manner, but DO NOT discuss NT athletics. If they do, remind them that NCAA rules prohibits you from discussing athletics with them.

 DO continue to establish family relationships with friends and neighbors. Contacts with sons of these families are permitted as long as they are not made for recruiting and are not prompted by NT coaches.

These guidelines are established and enforced by the NCAA and adhered to by the North Texas Athletic Dept.

Side Note:

 The Eagle Angels Organization fall under Athletic Administration for the NT athletic dept.

 The Eagle Angels are informed of the NCAA rules on a yearly basis. Because of this particular rule, this is why you see the “Angel barrier” between fans and prospects. Football Operations believes this is the most appropriate way to handle this rule.

 Eagle Angels are also informed on how to handle the various situations that may arise during a game. Please keep in mind, these are still 18 to 22 year old North Texas students and they may not respond to “pressure / stressful” situations in a mature adult manner that many expect. They are still learning how to deal with this - as did most of us at these ages. The importance of recruiting and the compliance of NCAA rules are continuously stressed to these ladies and they take it very seriously. Eagle Angels pride themselves on being courteous and professional. Unfortunately, at times, the heat of the situation may overcome what they work for.

 The Eagle Angel Organization is of great importance to the football program. They do not get paid and do this purely for the benefit of the program. Their help is appreciated by the coaching staff and a big reason as to why we have the success we have had the past couple of years.

Thanks Harry... I'm sure they are a fine organization. I never really gave them much thought, but they do sit in front of us in Section E. From time to time they make coments in general, but I have never had a reason to speak ill of them. I'm glad we have an organization that helps with recruiting. So, we now know what three out of four groups are doing out there on gameday. Let's recap, shall we?

1- Talons (great organization. Spirit, flags, Bonfire, cheers, etc....)

2- Eagle Angels (work with AD for recruiting...very nice to have them)

3- Cheerleaders (no explanation needed... these guys are very good)

4- WINGS (uh?, ..........................................)

GMG!!!

Guest JohnDenver

Harry, thanks for the warning. Tell him to MOVE THEM TO THE ENDZONES where they can't be seen or even HEAR what the fans have to say. That is hyperbole. However, move them to the student side.

Also, he is blowing smoke up our butts. Getting tickets to a game doesn't make you a rep. However, being a booster (like the MGC) does. However, if I have a guest that is sitting in that section and didn't buy a ticket, they don't fall under that rule. I have looked it for months (maybe even years).

With that being said -- yes they are young. No they don't handle the crowd well at all, nor should they have to. Put them some place they don't have to deal with the crotchedy old MGC'ers.

See everyone Saturday.

And if I see you (YES YOU) cheering when we get a personal foul, I will come over there and glare at you. wink.gif

 The Eagle Angel Organization is of great importance to the football program. They do not get paid and do this purely for the benefit of the program. Their help is appreciated by the coaching staff and a big reason as to why we have the success we have had the past couple of years.

See, people? Forget all this Dickey and Flanagan bashing. FIRE THE EAGLE ANGELS! THIS YEAR IS ALL THEIR FAULT!!

I've never had any sort of personal encounter with them. I understand their purpose... But I don't understand what makes them say or do the things I've read about on this board. Even taken with a grain of industrial sized internet salt, the stories about derogatory comments made in front of recruits make me wonder how much good is actually done by the Angels.

Play the human barricade if you have to, but why trash ANYTHING about the program in front of recruits? It makes no sense to me.

Guest JohnDenver

...and by the way, I have NEVER seen a person go try to talk to the recruits and try to recruit them. I haven't seen a drink paid for, t-shirt provided (does the Wendy's cannon count??) or secret handshake given. Sometimes the recruits will lean back and say something (like if I am a student or alum. What I majored in). I have only seen one player's parent go talk to them, but that is hardly a violation. I didn't hear NT athletics talked about.

We don't have a problem at UNT with boosters trying to recruit the recruits. We don't need warning.

A recruit leaned back and asked, "who is the head coach?" I didn't take that as a good sign. huh.gifblink.gif No, I am not joking.

This leaning back to "initiate" a conversation falls under the:

"WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A PROSPECT?

 Should you find yourself seated next to a prospect, or parents of a prospect, DO NOT initiate a conversation. If a conversation is initiated with you, respond in a civil manner, but DO NOT discuss NT athletics. ..."

Edited by JohnDenver