Question about new football stadium?

GoMeanGreen1999

and better recruiting right? If the answer is Yes, and that this is one of the main things that we need to give Dickey a better chance to win more, then why doesn't this same logic apply to the basketball team and their place of play?

You are hard pressed to find a place in Texas (except tt, atm, and ut) that play in a building nicer than the pit, yet we don't seem to be able to recruit any better players than we have in the past. Do we need to build another arena?

and better recruiting right?  If the answer is Yes, and that this is one of the main things that we need to give Dickey a better chance to win more, then why doesn't this same logic apply to the basketball team and their place of play? 

You are hard pressed to find a place in Texas (except tt, atm, and ut) that play in a building nicer than the pit, yet we don't seem to be able to recruit any better players than we have in the past.  Do we need to build another arena?

Because football is King in Texas. .

Those of us who remember good ol' SWC basketball in the 1960's (when NTSU could easily beat most SWC teams back in that day) can look back to those days, laugh and remember how SWC basketball in that decade and before were just a filler between Fall and Spring football; except for when ex Krum citizen, NT grad, NT Athletic Hall of Famer Doc Hayes had some good teams at SMU in the late 1950's for a short run.

Then some guys who I got to see even on their freshmen basketball team over at Houston's Delmar Field House, ie, Elvin Hayes, Theodus Lee, Ken Spain, Don Chaney and others led by Coach Guy Lewis of the University of Houston showed the state of Texas that integration was really not a sin at all and how good integrated basketball could really be.

UH later had their Phi Slamma Jamma teams of the early 1980's and then the goold ol' SWC redneck boys (duh?) finally said to themselves: "Hey, we can be just like Cougar High (as they called UH--not me) are doing and then the SWC boys (unlike NTSU/UNT who once again did not step up to the plate to advance athletically--which seems to be an on-going habit of ours especially in the area of hiring) started spending money on basketball, ie, dramatically increased their basketball budgets then thats when Arkansas started emulating UH and then the rest of the SWC boys finally followed suit (and built their own versions of the "Super Pit" as well) as icing on their cakes.

But still..............football is King in Texas; it pays the bills at schools like UNT and is another reason we have to make sure that our football program has a bright and progressive future. In fact, with today's NCAA D1-A, it is imperative that a school (esp. in the Sun Belt) gives itself every opportunity to be successful.

You also mention DD and facilities, well, if he were still here once we open a new football stadium (2009?) we would still have a coach (in light of most recent trends) who is still trying to reach .500 in W/L's. In NCAA D1-A, a coach who has been given 8 years and is still no where close to .500 would be questioned by 99.9% of NCAA D1-A admininstrations and for sure by 100% of their fans and alums. sad.gif Yet if (amazingly) DD were still here in 2009, he would be going on his 12'th year as a head coach in Mean Green Country and (again) with the trends we now see--still be under .500. sad.gifWill many give $100, $200, $500 or more to the MG Club , buys 4 or more season tickets for SBC mediocrity, ie, NCAA D1-A "Bottom 10" mediocrity in 2006? The answer to that question is something those at NT who are force-feeding all this on way too many fans and NT alums (who deserve better) will just have to wait to find out for themselves. Surprises many that those who have invested thousands into this seem most content with Dickey Ball, Dickey Fan Bashing, Dickey Employer Bashing and (in general) DD Mediocrity. Looks like recruits are now also getting wind of the obvious that DD's overall W/L records blatantly stands out to tell all. Yet, I wonder how long till our multi-thousand dollar contributors stop writing their checks to support a spiralling football program?

Again, in 40 plus years of following NCAA Division One football, I've never seen the kind of head football coach's scenario we are smack dab in the middle of receiving at NORTH TEXAS.

NORTH TEXAS: Bring us your poor, your needy and not so talented and we will give them a life time job (question no one about doing such and who knows, they may even make the NT Athletic Hall of Fame based on number of years they were on the NT payroll--not so much based on talent or ability). ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Because football is King in Texas. .

Those of us who remember good ol' SWC basketball in the 1960's (when NTSU could easily beat most SWC teams back in that day) can look back to those days,  laugh and remember how SWC basketball in that decade and before were just a filler between Fall and Spring football;  except for when ex Krum citizen, NT grad, NT Athletic Hall of Famer Doc Hayes had some good teams at SMU in the late 1950's for a short run. 

Then some guys who I got to see even on their freshmen basketball team over at Houston's Delmar Field House, ie, Elvin Hayes, Theodus Lee, Ken Spain, Don Chaney and others led by Coach Guy Lewis of the University of Houston showed the state of Texas that integration was really not a sin at all and how good integrated basketball could really be. 

UH later had their Phi Slamma Jamma teams of the early 1980's and then the goold ol' SWC redneck boys (duh?) finally said to themselves:  "Hey, we can be just like Cougar High (as they called UH--not me) are doing and then the SWC boys (unlike NTSU/UNT who once again did not step up to the plate to advance athletically--which seems to be an on-going habit of ours especially in the area of hiring) started spending money on basketball, ie, dramatically increased their basketball budgets then thats when Arkansas started emulating UH and then the rest of the SWC boys finally followed suit (and built their own versions of the "Super Pit" as well) as icing on their cakes.

But still..............football is King in Texas; it pays the bills at schools like UNT and is another reason we have to make sure that our football program has a bright and progressive future.  In fact,  with today's NCAA D1-A, it is imperative that a school (esp. in the Sun Belt) gives itself every opportunity to be successful.

You also mention DD and facilities, well, if he were still here once we open a new football stadium (2009?) we would still have a coach (in light of most recent trends) who is still trying to reach .500 in W/L's.  In NCAA D1-A, a coach who has been given 8 years and is still no where close to .500 would be questioned by 99.9% of NCAA D1-A admininstrations and for sure by 100% of their fans and alums. sad.gif  Yet if (amazingly) DD were still here in 2009, he would be going on his 12'th year as a head coach in Mean Green Country and (again) with the trends we now see--still be under .500. sad.gif  Will many give $100, $200, $500 or more to the MG Club , buys 4 or more season tickets for SBC mediocrity, ie, NCAA D1-A "Bottom 10" mediocrity in 2006?  The answer to that question is something those at NT who are force-feeding all this on way too many fans and NT alums (who deserve better)  will just have to wait to find out for themselves.  Surprises many that those who have invested thousands into this seem most content with Dickey Ball, Dickey Fan Bashing, Dickey Employer Bashing and (in general) DD Mediocrity.  Looks like recruits are now also getting wind of the obvious that DD's overall W/L records blatantly stands out to tell all. Yet, I wonder how long till our multi-thousand dollar contributors stop writing their checks to support a spiralling football program? 

Again,  in 40 plus years of following NCAA Division One football, I've never seen the kind of head football coach's scenario we are smack dab in the middle of receiving at NORTH TEXAS. 

NORTH TEXAS: Bring us your poor, your needy and not so talented and we will give them a life time job (question no one about doing such and who knows, they may even make the NT Athletic Hall of Fame based on number of years they were on the NT payroll--not so much based on  talent or ability). ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif  ph34r.gifph34r.gif 

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Plumm - I was actually using a little sarcasim in my post, as I really do not believe that building a new stadium in 2009 is a good enough reason to keep DD around to try and prove that point. I agree 100% with you about the head coach position at UNT. If you win 26 straight conferense games in a row, 4 Conf titles in a row, and at the end of your eighth season you don't have close to a .500 record, then something is wrong and a change probably needs to be made.

Plumm - I was actually using a little sarcasim in my post, as I really do not believe that building a new stadium in 2009 is a good enough reason to keep DD around to try and prove that point.  I agree 100% with you about the head coach position at UNT.  If you win 26 straight conferense games in a row, 4 Conf titles in a row, and at the end of your eighth season you don't have close to a .500 record, then something is wrong and a change probably needs to be made.

To borrow an icon quote from FFR: smile.gif

and better recruiting right?  If the answer is Yes, and that this is one of the main things that we need to give Dickey a better chance to win more, then why doesn't this same logic apply to the basketball team and their place of play? 

You are hard pressed to find a place in Texas (except tt, atm, and ut) that play in a building nicer than the pit, yet we don't seem to be able to recruit any better players than we have in the past.  Do we need to build another arena?

You are correct. The Super Pit is right up there with the arenas at TT, UT, A&M, UTEP, etc...but a nice arena is only part of the puzzle. You also need a coach who can recruit and win so that fans will come and pack the place. We have the arena but we don't have a good coach and as a result we won't have the fan support or the kind of players that the other BB powers in Texas have. Then again there is a well known coach by the name of Bob Huggins, formerly of Cincinnati, who is out of a job and if we could land him he'd build that winning basketball tradition that other schools in Texas seem to have. Jones is no more the answer for us in basketball than Dickey is in football.