DMN: NT running game has not worked out

OldTimer

UNT backfield duo missing dynamic

Running game has not worked out the way Cobbs, Thomas planned

10:36 PM CST on Tuesday, November 22, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Patrick Cobbs stands on the verge of a pair of milestones heading into his last game at North Texas on Saturday.

A second 1,000-yard season is within the senior running back's reach against Arkansas State, not to mention a chance to surpass the 4,000-yard mark for his career.

Cobbs expected success when he returned for a second shot at his senior season in 2005. What North Texas' career rushing leader never anticipated was making a charge at history largely without his running partner.

Cobbs' name was hardly mentioned without fellow former national rushing champion and UNT teammate Jamario Thomas. Both were expected to have big seasons, but only Cobbs' has materialized in what has been a difficult year for the Mean Green.

"We are surprised with the way it has worked out," UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. "Our plan was to let those two guys share a ton of carries. We have struggled for a lot of reasons."

Cobbs has battled an ankle injury. Thomas has had to deal with a bad hamstring and added weight.

Both are surrounded by inexperienced teammates on a UNT squad that is 2-8.

Cobbs has overcome those obstacles to make his senior season an individual success. The team captain enters his final game with 974 yards on the season and 3,870 in his career.

Cobbs said he would love to reach the 1,000- and 4,000-yard marks, but adding to his statistics is not what he has enjoyed most about his return from a knee injury that forced him to sit out most of 2004 with a medical redshirt.

"There is no doubt it was worth coming back," Cobbs said. "I had fun, spent another year in college and finished up two degrees. I built a lot of relationships and got to be a mentor to younger guys."

One of those players is Thomas, who has suffered a dramatic drop-off after producing one of the best seasons in college football history for a freshman running back.

Cobbs won the national rushing title in 2003, averaging 152.7 yards a game. Thomas stepped in the following season and ran for 180.1 yards a game.

But Thomas injured his hamstring in a win over Idaho late in his freshman year and has struggled ever since.

It looked like he might come out of his slump against Louisiana-Lafayette on Nov. 5, but he aggravated his hamstring injury and has missed UNT's last two games. The former Longview Spring Hill standout has 361 rushing yards and has not scored a year after posting 1,801 yards, 17 touchdowns and six 200-yard games.

Arkansas St. (5-5, 4-2) at North Texas (2-8, 2-4), 1 p.m., Saturday

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.com

JAMARIO: THEN AND NOW

2004 Category 2005

13 Runs of 30 yards or more 2

180.1 Rushing yards per game 45.1

17 Touchdowns 0

6.3 Yards per carry 4.1

28.5 Carries per game 11.1

COBBS YEAR-BY-YEAR

Season Att. Yds. TDs

2001 93 399 3

2002 159 761 8

2003 307 1,680 19

2004 28 56 0

2005 194 974 5

Career 781 3,870 35

Took medical redshirt after suffering knee injury in second game of 2004 season

"There is no doubt it was worth coming back," Cobbs said. "I had fun, spent another year in college and finished up two degrees. I built a lot of relationships and got to be a mentor to younger guys."

Total class. Not many present day athletes share this attitude. #43 will be missed.

No kidding! If had to do it all over again I'd still be at UNT, working on my 47th degree. College life was fun.cool.gif

No kidding!  If had to do it all over again I'd still be at UNT, working on my 47th degree.  College life was fun.cool.gif

I started in Fall of 2001, my graduation date is 2007!

(before anyone talks smack its because I took a year off, and take no more than 12 hours a semester so I can work tongue.gif)

I started in Fall of 2001, my graduation date is 2007!

(before anyone talks smack its because I took a year off, and take no more than 12 hours a semester so I can work tongue.gif)

That's even more reason to be proud of your accomplishments because it is so much more difficult to GO BACK than to continue through. Good Job!

God Bless Patrick "The Emerald Express!" Cobbs.

Rick