DMN blurb: NT to decide on QB starter this week

OldTimer

UNT to make decision on QB this week

03:25 AM CST on Tuesday, November 22, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – UNT will make a decision on whether to start Matt Phillips or Daniel Meager at quarterback during practice this week, head coach Darrell Dickey said.

Meager has started each of the Mean Green's games, but Phillips has played in relief the last two weeks. Phillips threw for 217 yards last week in a loss to Louisiana-Monroe, the top total for a freshman during Dickey's tenure.

Why is so hard for the coaching staff to make the obvious decision, who are they trying to protect?

Phillips has shown in the last 2 games that RIGHT NOW at least he is the better option. Meager might be the better QB overtime but right now Phillips is the best option, all of us "idiot fans" see this, but the almighty UNT coaching staff for someone reason can not.

My conspiracy theory-

The Diet Coke guy has been calling plays and running the team all season long, whispering sweet nothings into Dickeys ear. It's also rumored that he has been spiking the Diet Coke with Daniel Meager love juice. I expect if we don't get a new Diet Coke guy next season that we could have the same performance next year. Maybe Eric Pegram would like to fill in.

Honestly, Eric Pegram would make a fine addition to our coaching staff.

Phillips has shown in the last 2 games that RIGHT NOW at least he is the better option. Meager might be the better QB overtime but right now Phillips is the best option

I think you have your answer in the 2nd sentence. We all love how Phillips threw it around the other night, but not EVERYTHING that happened this year is Meager's fault. IF (and that's an IF) Meager does look like he could continue to develop and be the QB down the line why not try to protect his confidence a little bit?

OK load up and fire away. biggrin.gif

As much as I like Danny Meager, I have to say it. Watching the ball go directly into or over the target instead of having Quinn come back for it says something to the Defense? I dont think we are talking just arm strength here. Phillips is looking like he gets the offense, and can really laser the deep outs. Meager has talent, no question... but I would like Cobbs to go out with a win. The ONLY weakness Ark. State defense has is the secondary, which plays great one game, then collapses the next. (MTSU passed for 3 TD's, ULM 260 yards and 2 TD's, FIU lost big - and still passed for 270 yards and a score, Missouri over 300 and 4 TD's) With Phillips back there, Quinn could have a huge day. We connect on just a couple of deep balls and that safety backs off. HELLO RUNNING GAME.

Danny has plenty of time until spring ball to get the shoulder back to 100%. Let's see if Matt Phillips can continue to tear teams up with his passing. We could be onto something very special with this kid at QB. And YES, he is here because Darrell Dickey saw something in him. Let's have him face a defense that really puts pressure on QB's and find out if we are seeing the real thing.

I think we are...

GMG!!!

Things that make you go HMMMMMMM!

Points Scored last 2 games while Meager is QB:  7

Points Scored last 2 games while Phillips  is QB:  33

ohmy.gif

Shocker, so to speak.

Just think. Three months ago, the biggest question mark surrounding this team was who would play QB.

Now, ten games later, the biggest question mark surrounding this team is who will play QB.

Edited by pollock