fresno state wow!

Mean'n'Green07

Still a six point USC lead near the end of the third quarter. I have to admit that I was a little bit Wacky when the opportunity presented itself. It definitely would of helped put us on the national scene. We are obviously stuck in a bit of a hole in our current situation no matter how successful we are in conference play. The money issue is the only negative that I can see for us in the WAC. Considering that we have only won two games in the SBC with one to go, I don't think that anyone can say that we would be doing much worse in that conference. The SBC is not exactly a geographically close conference anyway. Probably not a great time to start that old WAC vs SBC argument anyway. Time will tell.

Yeah, USC is overrated - Fresno was #16 in the country, so they shoulda been blown out. tongue.gif

I was AT the game. My first time in the Colesium. Awesome contest. Reggie Bush is UNBELIEVABLE. I mean he's so unreal in person it's not even funny. You can hear the entire crowd suck in it's collective breath every time he has the ball.

Fresno State played a outstanding game. The SC fans were defintely worried. Speaking of, West Coast fans get a (justified) ribbing alot of the time, but the crowd was loud as hell. Seriously, one of - if not the loudest stadiums I've ever been in.

The money issue is the only negative that I can see for us in the WAC. ... The SBC is not exactly a geographically close conference anyway.

The Sun Belt's a lot closer geographically than the WAC, and it doesn't put our road games in the Mountain or Pacific time zones. This USC-Fresno State game's a great example of how this is a negative for an eastern team -- it began at 10:15 p.m. on the East Coast! Here in Florida, I missed Reggie Bush's unbelievable accumulation of 500 all-purpose yards because I passed out trying to watch.

Joining the WAC would have hurt North Texas. I'm exhibiting some regional bias here because of where I live, but I still think our road to success in I-A football goes through the southeast. One of the Sun Belt's strengths -- one of its only strengths at the moment -- is the clustering of teams from Texas to Florida. Losing New Mexico State and Idaho was a good thing for the conference (though I miss having New Mexico State around because they're the closest thing UNT had to a rivalry team, after all the conferences we shared in common.)

Edited by rcade

Our 2002 and 2003 team would have faired pretty well in the WAC... but this 2005 team is a different story.

This year's team would have sucked in any division 1-A conference. The only good news for next year is that we couldn't possibly be worse. I think joining the WAC would have been a good short-term move that could have been a springboard into CUSA but only if we were serious about getting to the next level in football. With Dickey at the helm we were going to be doomed no matter what conference we were in.

So lets say we joined the WAC two years ago, would we have been in a bowl last season? Would we have a win this season?

Would you like to be in the WAC?

The sunbelt is just plain bad.

CUSA has to be the goal for NT. The WAC has more credibility in football than the SBC does, mainly because of Fresno, Boise and Hawaii. The WAC would have been a good temporary step up for NT, although expensive, but a better spot to go to CUSA from. The SBC is like slick mud for us, no respect and no traction to go anywhere, which can prove to be even more costly in the long run if we don't achieve that CUSA invite! dry.gif

CUSA has to be the goal for NT.  The WAC has more credibility in football than the SBC does, mainly because of Fresno, Boise and Hawaii.  The WAC would have been a good temporary step up for NT, although expensive, but a better spot to go to CUSA from.   The SBC is like slick mud for us, no respect and no traction to go anywhere, which can prove to be even more costly in the long run if we don't achieve that CUSA invite!    dry.gif

Precisely. The ideal thing for us would have been to have gone to the WAC, won a championship or two, made some appearances in the top 25, and been first in line whenever an opening in CUSA appears. The WAC is way ahead of the Sun Belt. You take a team like LA Tech and they are only 4th in the WAC but they would run roughshod over the 'Belt this season. Now let me add something else. Joining the WAC in and of itself wouldn't guarantee us anything. It would provide us a bigger stage, more revenue, more opportunities, and more credibility with recruits and fans but we would still have to earn the accolades and positive press by winning. That is why we need to give DD the axe as soon as this season ends and go after a proven coach. We need to stop giving on-the-job training to wannabe-head-coach assistants from other schools and get some real coaches who have been there and done that. It has been proven time after time that the quickest and surest way to build a winner is to hire coaches with a proven track record of success. I propose that we clean house and fire both Dickey and Jones(who I think is just as unlikely to lead us to the promised land in BB as DD is in FB) and make a serious play for Rick Neuheisel and Bob Huggins, two coaches who have been winners everywhere they've been and who can instantly elevate UNT into the national stage and hopefully into CUSA. Now I've heard that the WAC is still looking for a 10th team so there is still time for us to join and being in the WAC would be more attractive to Neuheisel and Huggins and subsequently they would make us attractive to CUSA. It's time to stop thinking penny-ante and being so conservative. It hasn't gotten us but a few modest gains that are now about to be almost completely erased thanks to Dickey's scaredy-cat conservative philosophy. Look at what Bobby Knight, Mike Price, and George O'Leary have done for their schools. Neuheisel + Huggins + WAC = CUSA for UNT very soon.

Edited by GreenEddieNT