Ask and Ye Shall receive.....

NeedCoach

Have you seen what Matt Simon has done since he left NT?  If he had stayed into the Sunbelt years who knows?

Matt Simon was a lunatic.

The man wrote a nasty letter to the Commandant of West Point because of some perceived slight after we played a game up there. West Point made it clear they would not only never play us again, but would campaign to get other teams not to play us. I'm not sure what effect that later had on their CUSA conferencemates, but it certainly didn't help.

At a time when other athletic programs at NT were taking cuts to their budgets and staffs, Matt went public in complaining they weren't take DEEP ENOUGH cuts to their staffs and budgets. He also said other departments need to start taking budget cuts to help football.

During his last two (thats 2!) years, every recruiting trip that involved an airplane seems to have coincided with a town that had an NFL team with an opening.

It says a lot that when he finally bailed, his (now ex) wife stayed behind in Denton.

As for his coaching, he did have a wide open offense. It never won many games, except his first year when he had Coach Parker's players. When Simon "recruits" started filling the positions, we were not able to beat the Utah State's, NMSU's, Idaho's and other we were beating in 2004 and 2003.

He also never seemed to grasp the concept that although 1A has 85 scholarships, you can't give an unlimited number each year. He gave out lots of scholarships to Junior College players and didn't spend anytime trying to build relationships with high school coaches. Since the JC players only had 2 years of eligibility, our total number of football scholarship athletes went down. Oh, and most of his JC players weren't very good anyway!

In short, Matt Simon actually was the embarrassment to the university many accuse DD of being. DD is far from perfect, but is still better than Matt was.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Simon was a lunatic.

In short, Matt Simon actually was the embarrassment to the university many accuse DD of being. DD is far from perfect, but is still better than Matt was.

Yep, pretty much sums it up. I've never seen a more ineffective offense while Simon was head coach during his last couple years. Don't quote a couple fluke OOC wins and claim Simon was a genious because of them. He'd go 2-9 in those years as well.

Lame creation by another run-of-the-mill, football-ignorant North Texas "fan."

Lame - yes. It looks like someone's senior computer class project.

I don't know if you can qualify his knowledge of the sport or program. Seems to me the recount of events that happened under Dickey about discipline may be worth noting. I may not personally want to spend my weekend on a frontpage intensive DD bashing project but this doesn't mean NeedCoach is ignorant.

Its just his way of addressing a building problem that finally came to a head in the program - and anyone who denies the problem is and has been there could conceivably be called ignorant - but that's just my opinion.

Pollock-With respect to your friend, when we as ardent NT fans stop going to games to protest anything (coaches, parking, restrooms, etc) it only hurts our program. Whatever one's opinion of DD, the program will still (hopefully) be here long after he is gone. We need to continue to not only buy season tickets, but to put more butts in the seats than ever before. When and if we do get a chance at another coach, one of the first things he will look at is our attendance numbers.

Grumble if you wish, but do it from your season ticket seat at Fouts.

GO MEAN GREEN

Pollock-With respect to your friend, when we as ardent NT fans stop going to games to protest anything (coaches, parking, restrooms, etc) it only hurts our program.  Whatever one's opinion of DD, the program will still (hopefully) be here long after he is gone.  We need to continue to not only buy season tickets, but to put more butts in the seats than ever before.  When and if we do get a chance at another coach, one of the first things he will look at is our attendance numbers. 

Grumble if you wish, but do it from your season ticket seat at Fouts.

GO MEAN GREEN

I agree completely. The guy I'm talking about (and it's not me... rolleyes.gif ) is a casual fan, non-alum, non-season-ticket-holder.

But to me, he represents the potential season ticket holder and possible longterm supporter that has been run off by the dismal failure that we call the 2005 season.

With regard to Simon v. Dickey:

I became a fan in 2001, so I don't know much about Simon. But I will say that 4 SBC Championships are way greater than one SLC Championship.

Edited by pollock

I agree completely.  The guy I'm talking about (and it's not me... rolleyes.gif ) is a casual fan, non-alum, non-season-ticket-holder. 

But to me, he represents the potential season ticket holder and possible longterm supporter that has been run off by the dismal failure that we call the 2005 season.

With regard to Simon v. Dickey:

I became a fan in 2001, so I don't know much about Simon.  But I will say that 4 SBC Championships are way greater than one SLC Championship.

The site is gone! ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif