Shouldn't NT Be Shooting For Top 25 Status?

PlummMeanGreen

I think 4 bowl trips in a row really did much for the psyche of our previously beaten down fan base, those appearances many of us believe helped increase giving to athletics (with the Mean Green Club's ever-growing membership benefitting as well) and the fact that we are finally (115 years later) getting the attention of NORTH TEXAS alums of wealth and means as to where they are giving a damn about where they went to school (and they are also now giving millions) to NORTH TEXAS. One only has to look as far as the new Athletic Center and the Warranch Tennis Complex as to see how fast our weatlhiest alums can make things happen at NT.

I know there are many things we need to do at NT to get our football program to where it can gain Top 25 status and many of those things have caused heated discussion on GMG.com. But ater all, the MEAN GREEN have been in the Top 20 a couple times during they Hayden Fry era as I recall so it won't be a new or novel experience when we get back to such a lofty position----BUT HOW DO WE GET BACK TO IT AND HOW SOON CAN WE EXPECT IT TO HAPPEN? 'Twasn't so long ago that Top 25 status was as much a stranger to TCU as it is us at this moment.

The MAC (who many on this board have said in year's past the SBC was superior) seems to have no problem getting their top football team in the Top 25 and now that seems almost annually.

The SBC is down, has been down and proof of that is we have no one this year even getting votes for Top 25. We had 4 bowl teams who received a few votes but that was about it.

Any thoughts or recommendations that are within the realms of realism as things are today in Mean Green Country?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Like Hayden Fry said...

"Someone's gotta be #1, why can't we?!"

I think Dickey needs to coach with that kind of ambition. I feel like he only coaches to win the SBC and that's it. He may be happy with that, but I'm certain the players want so much more. I don't think Fry gave excuses for OOC games...I do believe he coached with all of his heart, and I want Dickey to do that and make it obvious to us that he does. We got so much publicity this year and it bothers me to see that none of it really came to fruition (so far).

Like Hayden Fry said...

"Someone's gotta be #1, why can't we?!"

I think Dickey needs to coach with that kind of ambition. I feel like he only coaches to win the SBC and that's it. He may be happy with that, but I'm certain the players want so much more. I don't think Fry gave excuses for OOC games...I do believe he coached with all of his heart, and I want Dickey to do that and make it obvious to us that he does. We got so much publicity this year and it bothers me to see that none of it really came to fruition (so far).

I have this feeling just like after the 1999 down season when Dickey (with no facilities such as we have now) brought in probably one of NT's top 3 recruiting hauls of all time; anyway, I just have this gut feeling his upcoming recruiting season will be one bonanza of a haul for NT.

In fact, I hope this next group (with the very nice talent we have on the NT campus now) will be the group who takes the Mean Green to Top 25 rankings and hellsbells, why not? If Bowling Green of the MAC can do it, why shouldn't NORTH TEXAS of the SBC do it, too? huh.gif

GMG!