North Texas Joins National Spotlight

MeanGreen61

NT joins national spotlight

Michael Neglia

Staff Writer

November 09, 2005

The NT soccer program has a legitimate chance to make its next big step: winning an NCAA Tournament game.

user posted image

Emily Hughes / NT Daily

Jamie Yates (13) and the NT soccer team has earned a spot in the NCAA tournament.

The Mean Green (16-3-2) received an automatic bid after winning the Sun Belt Tournament on Saturday and opens its NCAA Tournament run Friday in College Station against SMU, a team they have already beaten this season. NT defeated the Mustangs 3-1 on Sept. 4 in Dallas.

“I like our draw; I like the fact that the NCAA showed us some respect and gave us the third seed instead of fourth seed like last year,” NT head coach John Hedlund said. “When you get a fourth seed you have to play the number one seed at their place which is a huge challenge, so playing against SMU at a neutral site, I like our chances.”

In the Mean Green’s earlier win this season over the Lady Mustangs, sophomore forward Heather Hutyra recorded a hat trick.

“I like our matchup. I think that they might put a few more players back than they did last time,” said Hutyra, who was named the Most Outstanding Player of the conference tournament. “I think it’s a really good matchup, we know their team and they know how we play, so I think it’s going to be a great game.”

This is the Mean Green’s second consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance. Last year, NT lost in the first round to Texas 3-0 in Austin, but think this year might be different.

“Last year we got put up against Texas, and we were a little intimidated going in,” Hutyra said. “But with our win over SMU earlier in the year, it gives us a little bit of confidence going into the first game.”

A victory would break the single-season record for wins set by last year’s team at 16 and would be a big step for the future.

“It would be huge. To get to this point obviously back-to-back in the tournament is an achievement in itself,” Hedlund said. “To me, if we can win, we’d be the first Sun Belt Conference team to win an NCAA Tournament game, so we would love to do that, but we know it’s going to be a tough game.”

SMU leads the all-time series against NT, with a 5-3-1 record. This will add to the rivalry and could be one of the closest games of NT’s season.

“We know them, and they know us,” Hedlund said. “Both teams are going to get opportunities in front of the goal. It’ll come down to whoever finishes.”