Accept my apology for blasting Dickey...

Green Grenade II

I am punishing myself because I cannot accept another first, second, third or fourth quarter of play coached by Darrel Dickey. He is a super guy, I'm sure, with a nice wife and wonderful daughter. He has taken us to 4 New Orleans Bowls and won four straight SunBelt Championships. We have gotten blown out in 3 of the New Orleans Bowls, winning once in 2002 vs Cincinati.

Yeah, we blasted Baylor 52-14 in 2003, but what about our other great OOC games. Recruiting, you say? Yeah, right!

I have chosen to not attend another game at Fouts as long as Darrell Dickey is head coach, and Ramon Flanigan is OC. Furthermore, I welcome everyone posting that I do this everytime I get fed up. Usually, you are right, but in this case, I'm dead serious.

I wish NT well. I began going to North Texas games when I was a 17 year old freshman. My first sports magazine (Mean Green Football) was a 24 page tabloid and 50,000 copies were distributed to Hog fans at War Memorial Stadium as they walked into the stadium gates for the 1968 great game. 17-15 was the final score, and Ramsey's flat pass to Shanklin from the Razorback 13 should have been the winning touchdown, but it was called a trap by a SWC official. Shanklin caught the pass cleanly, falling as he did so.

So, I'm not bitter. I'm just fed up with the way attending NT games is getting worse. Not results on the field. I'm talking about CSC, ice cold hot dogs, not scanning my tickets for some reason. That's about it.

Green Grenade,

Do you think you could also ban yourself from this board as well as the games and go attack someone else when they are down. Every team experiences a decline when you have a group of players graduate that have taken all the snaps since their freshman or sophmore year. I say Good Riddance to you. Go kick some orphans or jump on another bandwagon until it starts to decline.

Green Grenade,

Do you think you could also ban yourself from this board as well as the games and go attack someone else when they are down.  Every team experiences a decline when you have a group of players graduate that have taken all the snaps since their freshman or sophmore year.  I say Good Riddance to you.  Go kick some orphans or jump on another bandwagon until it starts to decline.

You may not like GG's sentiments but he is hardly a bandwagoner. He has been supporting this university since before the dawn of the Ottoman Empire and he will probably live to be 300 and supporting it for many more years.

You may not like GG's sentiments but he is hardly a bandwagoner. He has been supporting this university since before the dawn of the Ottoman Empire and he will probably live to be 300 and supporting it for many more years.

That's true but doesn't he seem to abandon the program more and more these days with his threats to never show his face again? At some point no matter the level of support you've given in the past, you can be called a fairweather fan.

That's true but doesn't he seem to abandon the program more and more these days with his threats to never show his face again? At some point no matter the level of support you've given in the past, you can be called a fairweather fan.

Heres a question for everyone before the piling-on continues... when, if ever, is it ok to not go to games? I mean, isnt it understandable that someone wouldnt want to make it up to watch a 1-10 or 2-9 team? I dont think it means someone isnt supportive of the school or the team, but nobody likes to watch their team lose over and over at home. Your priorities on the weekends change.

As a person living in Houston, its alot easier for me to be inspired to make the trip to Denton (and deal with gas prices, lodging, etc) to watch a winner or even a competitor than it is when there is nothing on the line, not even a trip to a bowl game or a shot at a conference title in an otherwise terrible conference. Does that make someone a "fair weather fan"?

Just playing devil's advocate.

Edited by Eagle1855

The question is do you want to see our team keep its D1A status? It's as simple as that. Has nothing to do with Win/Loss records or how exiting the game is. If you want to drop to D1AA feel free to stop coming to the games. The only way to change things is to prove that you will support the team no matter what (See UTEP in the dictionary) and then you will see our situation change over time.

The question is do you want to see our team keep its D1A status? It's as simple as that.  Has nothing to do with Win/Loss records or how exiting the game is.  If you want to drop to D1AA feel free to stop coming to the games.  The only way to change things is to prove that you will support the team no matter what (See UTEP in the dictionary) and then you will see our situation change over time.

Its not up to the fans to put a winning team on the field. Win games, people show up, people donate money. Losers never draw crowds.

I didnt miss your UTEP comment, my question is, WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

Edited by Eagle1855

Maybe you missed my comment about UTEP? Oh yeah, and how many people are coming to this year's TAMU games? I'd say it's well over 50K average to watch a team get drubbed.

Maybe I just see this differently. I support North Texas, not the football program per se but my university. I also happen to realize how important it is to the school's growth. So winning has never been a huge concern to me as far as my support goes. Guess what, I followed the team back in 1995-1999. I don't know if we ever had more than 2 wins a year. Did it matter? Not really. Then it was just more fun for me to yell down at Richard Bridges to not throw dead ducks and scream at matt simon. wink.gif That is why our recent success is so sweet. I can handle a down year or two, what I CANNOT STAND IS BANDWAGON JUMPERS!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!

Edited by Stan R

Maybe you missed my comment about UTEP? Oh yeah, and how many people are coming to this year's TAMU games? I'd say it's well over 50K average to watch a team get drubbed.

Id show up to watch us get beat by Texas, Texas A&M, OU, Texas Tech, Nebraska, etc... Hell Id show up to see us get beat by TCU, Houston, SMU.

But in my opinion, nobody wants to watch their team get beat by U La Whatever, the F_U's , Avacado U, or Guacamole State

Its not the same thing. The Baylor game proves my point.

I'll ignore the bandwagon "shot" and assume it was not directed at me. I have been to the games I can make it to-- it costs a couple hundred bucks to make a weekend out of going to denton, and I will be there for the last games.

Im merely stating that I can see peoples' perspective if they dont want to show up, especially if they are out of town- its understandable and it doesnt mean they dont support the university. I dont think we have luxury of picking and choosing our fans. I'll take whatever people show up.

Edited by Eagle1855

But in my opinion, nobody wants to watch their team get beat by U La Whatever, the F_U's , Avacado U, or Guacamole State

The only way we get out of playing the above mentioned schools is to support our school through and through ... and not in just football ... conferences pay attention to basketball as well. So long as we have luke warm support, we'll forever be playing these teams.

Edited by UNTFan23

conferences pay attention to basketball as well. 

This is the most important part of your comment. It is also the most factual. While things like fan attendance are nice, conferences want teams that can field good teams in several sports, not just football. Rice, SMU, and UH wouldnt be in C-USA if football attendance was the biggest factor.

While a few of our Mean Green posters are "fed up" with the current season, the real impact is on the non-student, local football fan who just won't show up to watch us get our tails kicked. The University knows that attendance and revenue are important. They won't drop us back to 1-AA. They know they will have to go out and hire some qualified coaches, pay them what they are worth, and justify the cost of building the new stadium and facilities.

Someone will take the necessary steps to pull this thing back up. We can continue to love our "Alma Mater" because the BOR will be forced to take action. It will happen and we can live with a poor season because two poor ones in a row will highlight where the "dead wood" is. UNT just isn't accustomed to high expectations. But they will learn and changes will be made.

It's one thing to have a program that has been down for years and the team starts to improve (like U of Arizona beating UCLA.) It's another to see the past successes disappear over the back fence.