GreenBat

At least our defense might be able to stop their 2nd string QB

From South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Thumbs down for Embick

Senior QB's injury ends college career on downbeat note

By Ted Hutton

Staff Writer

Posted November 7 2005

Florida Atlantic's disappointing season just got worse.

The Owls (1-8) learned early Sunday that senior quarterback Danny Embick would be out for the final two games after breaking the thumb on his throwing hand during Saturday's 28-14 loss at Troy.

"I knew before the X-ray that there was a problem," said Embick, who was taken to a hospital in Weston after the team's plane arrived in Fort Lauderdale. "It was news I was expecting, but it takes a while to sink in."

Embick, who transferred from West Virginia and had been a backup for two seasons before taking over this season, was one of the team's leaders, playing with a toughness that won the respect of his teammates and opposing coaches.

"He's a very physical football player, a very emotional player and very accomplished quarterback. He absolutely is worth more than half the offense of our football team," coach Howard Schnellenberger said.

Embick injured his thumb late in the third quarter when he hit it against the helmet of a Troy player after throwing a pass.

Embick tried to continue, but once he realized he couldn't throw, he pulled himself out of the game.

"It's been a physical year for me, so I guess I am lucky to have made it this far," Embick said. "I never thought it would be something little like the thumb, though."

Embick, who is from Jupiter and played at Dwyer, was forced to scramble on many plays; FAU's inexperienced offensive line never could handle the blitzes defenses have used in every game.

FAU has allowed 30 sacks, with Embick being the one hit most of the time.

Embick also took frequent blows after he released the ball, and absorbed tackles after runs.

Embick completed 120 of 225 passes for 1,531 yards and threw for 11 touchdowns with 10 interceptions this season, and ran for 228 yards.

Embick said the biggest disappointment is not being able to play his final game as a senior.

"To be with those guys one last time, it's going to be hard not being part of that," Embick said.

FAU will now be looking for its quarterback of the future. The leading candidate is sophomore Sean Clayton, a transfer from Michigan State who moved ahead of redshirt freshman McKinson Souverain on the depth chart midway through the season.

"[Clayton] has not had any quality time at all, so this will be starting at scratch for him. It will be a tough indoctrination but great opportunity for him to gain experience," Schnellenberger said.

Schnellenberger said Souverain will also get playing time.

FAU hosts North Texas (2-6, 2-2) on Saturday in a game that has been moved to Dolphins Stadium because damage from Hurricane Wilma has made Lockhart Stadium unplayable.

Ted Hutton can be reached at thutton@sun-sentinel.com.

FAU will now be looking for its quarterback of the future. The leading candidate is sophomore Sean Clayton, a transfer from Michigan State who moved ahead of redshirt freshman McKinson Souverain on the depth chart midway through the season.

Wow... Michigan State??? That's a heckuva transfer.

Wow... Michigan State???  That's a heckuva transfer.

Yes it is. And THAT is exactly what I said when Michigan State OL transfer Gary Elmore came here to participate in spring training for us in which he commutted every day from Ft Worth to attend school, workouts and practice. But for whatever reason we couldn't use him this year. He then got disgusted with the whole situation after not getting a single rep during the first 3 or 4 games and has since quit the team. I wonder if we could use him now? dry.gif

Rick

When you transfer from one D1 school to another you HAVE to sit out a year.  You can go through 2 a days and practice during that year but you cannot play in a game for a year.  That is my understanding of the Elmore situation.

No, he sat out the '04 season and was available this year. His last year for Michigan State was in '03.

Rick