NT Daily - Bonfire in jeopardy?

MeanGreen61

Bonfire in jeopardy?

County burn ban may halt Homecoming event

Kasey Crill

Intern

November 03, 2005

The final word on whether NT’s traditional homecoming bonfire will be held this year is still up in the air for the Talons. All of Denton County is under a burn ban that might restrict NT from its annual bonfire celebration.

Rick Jones, fire marshal for the city of Denton, said he will not issue a burn permit to the Talons or NT, without exception, if there is a burn ban.

“If NT continues with the bonfire while there’s a burn ban going on, they’ll be in violation of the county-wide burn ban,” he said.

Because NT is a public university, it can negotiate with Joseph Gonzales, Denton County fire marshal, who might make some exception.

Wendell McCloud, emergency services manager and NT’s fire marshal, said he is waiting on official word from Gonzales on whether or not NT’s annual bonfire can be an exception to the ban. He said no open sparks or flames are permitted in such dry conditions.

Gonzales could not be reached for comment.

Brad Simpkins, assistant emergency management coordinator/investigator of Denton County, said burn bans are declared on a weekly basis and are decided on Tuesdays.

The bonfire is scheduled for Nov. 18, which is still more than two weeks away.

Denton County’s burn ban decisions are based upon the Keech-Byrom Drought Index, National Weather Service recommendations and recommendations of the fire marshal, Simpkins said.

Denton County is currently under severe fire weather conditions, he said. Rainfall is 12-14 inches down.

Lauren Lee, Houston senior, is a Talons member in charge of the 2005 bonfire. She said this year’s bonfire will be smaller than usual: 25 feet wide by 25 feet deep by 25 high as opposed to the usual 40 feet wide by 40 feet deep by 25 feet high.

Lee said the Talons will proceed with pursuing the permit for approval of the bonfire.

The bonfire could be built, and the fire department may soak the area surrounding the bonfire in preparation. However, even with all preventative efforts, the final decision will not be known until the day of the event.

Lee said every year there is a chance the bonfire will be canceled based upon the wind speed on the day of the event. They will press forward with production regardless, she said.

Chuck Fuller, assistant vice president of business services, is in charge of a back-up plan in case the bonfire is canceled. The Talons will host a laser light show in the coliseum after the basketball games, he said.

They are undecided on if they can even proceed with bonfire plans, Fuller said. They are running out of time to put together any kind of elaborate alternate plan.

Exceptions to the burn ban depend on precautions taken, weather and the vegetation surrounding the area, Simpkins said. Stiff requirements will have to be met if the bonfire takes place.

NT had to cancel the bonfire in 2000 because a burn ban was in place.

“We’ve broken a 40-year tradition at NT before because of a burn ban,” Simpkins said.

We'll continue according to plan...

But I can't say that I think the -15 feet dimensions at the base have me concerned about safety. Just the materials this thing is made with make it shaky to begin with. Removing that 15 feet means the stair-stepping used to bring palettes up to the 25 foot mark will be a lot more steep, and more dangerous. I know it's for the sake of fire safety, (FFR, feel free to educate me), but I think we could get away with a 30 or 35 foot base.

It's not a budget thing, the palettes are donated every year; Talons doesn't pay for them.

I'll just be really hacked off if it becomes a Bonlight this year.

Personally, there is zero reason the bonfire cannot go on as continued if it is watched correctly. I have never understood why the riffs between the university and the county and city fire marshalls have existed and why the two have never worked out a plan. The university should offer to pay the city the overtime to have a continued two man, 12 hour watch on a brush truck following the lighting. The unviversity can add extra precaution by doing extra mowing and then have a watch placed on it afterward. they could go even further by having the surrounding area watered down by using the water from the pond as a supply. That's all that is needed. Do whatever it takes to get it done and safely continue the tradition.

The entire location north of the bonfire is surrounded by short grass, concret, pavement and freeway. To the south is short grass with plenty of access. To the east of it is a lake, and to the west is a paved road with plenty of access on both sides. Forestry officials have to do controlled backburns to help bring some of the worst wildland fires under control. Nothing in or around the area of the bonfire is remotely similar to that level of concern, especially if like most years, the light breeze is out of the south. For there to be a true concern of it getting out of hand the grass would have to be 6 feet high which it isn't, there would have to be extreme high winds and everyone within eyesight would have to be asleep for anything to have a chance, which is where the brush truck comes into play.

The fire marshalls throw this redflag up EVERY damn year at this time. Their last ban on the bonfire was goofy and this is no different. It's my theory that their all aggies.

Rick

they could go even further by having the surrounding area watered down by using the water from the pond as a supply.

I aggree with everything you have said Rick. It is to my understanding that they are going to water down the surrounding areas before they burn this year with I believe a water truck-not the pond. So I like you think if you do that, why cant it go up to normal size.