Sun Belt Expansion Rumblings ?

MeanGreen61

Fouts Field can't be lowered.

It could probably be lowered but it cannot be moved 100 yards east of Interstate 35-E of which TxDot still says they need that Fouts frontage property for future expansion to 8 lanes.

We have moved all football operations to Eagle Point Campus and I think the new stadium will finish that move. I don't think Fouts is even a consideration any longer and hasn't been since the land at the former NT Golf Course became our football future.

NT athletic officials say they cannot make any more monies off Fouts Field that they would be able to quadruple by leasing (on an annual basis) 20 (+ or -) luxury suites at a new football stadium. Troy U (Jeez! sad.gif ) said they leased all their luxury suites even before their stadium was finished. Hopefully, the UNT System will leave the past behind, go outside the norm and have much larger ambitions than Troy U seems to have shown us when it comes to building a new football venue. wink.gif

ALSO...........eulesseagle mentioned Texas Tech? How about the fact that SBC Communications (now called AT&T, Inc. because of their merger with AT&T) gave TxTech $20 million for usage toward the expansion and remodeling of Jones Stadium. Such things do happen, folks, and can even happen at our dear ol' alma mater which sometimes seems steeped with too much tradition of thinking small (and forever in the past) at times.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Chattanoga inquired after East Tenn dropped football and was expelled from the Southern because they now have no close opponents. Guess they figured MTSU beat nothing and the Belt would be a step up in hoops but they have no inclination to go I-A.

Georgia State has inquired because under Thompson the Belt was going to the nobody cares metro schools without football (FIU and Denver).

App State has some boosters who have inquired but they don't have a plan in place for I-A.

Missouri State was contacted to see if they had any inclination to go I-A and they did not.

The Belt membership is set. Only thing that changes it is if WKU goes I-A, La.Tech comes back or CUSA splits up in the next realignment.

New stadium and facitlities= better recruits

better recruits= more wins

more wins= more championships

more championships= more and better bowls

which all equals more respect

Maybe if Hayden Fry came back to campus (again) to say the exact same thing will we have even more believers to what you just posted, H-towngreen. cool.gif

Still think if NT could employ Gene Stallings to do what he did on a consultant basis (and for some nice money) that NORTH TEXAS could hire Hayden Fry on a similar consultant basis to help us secure the Big Donor(s) for our new stadium.

Hayden Fry knows Texas high rollers with the big bucks, folks, and most of you from the Fry era at NT and even when he was at SMU for 11 years know that to be a fact. What could we possibly we waiting for? Gabriel? blink.gif