2003 Revenue Data

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Below is some data for 2003 I found at the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. It shows the revenues that UNT and UT-Austin took in that year by their sources, and the student enrollment. 2003 was the most recent complete data I found in the brief opportunity I had.

I calculated the per student amount shown. I lump the AUF in with the other state appropriations for this purpose. There is no valid reason to treat it separately; it is all state money. The AUF is the money from the Pemanent University Fund available to UT that year. The per student amount is only for the sources that should clearly be shared equitably.

Two conclusions leap out at me from this data:

1. The state is showering a grossly disproportionate amount of state funds (your property and sales tax dollars, etc.) on UT-Austin. The same is true for A&M. UNT and other state institutions suffer from this inequity.

2. Our school is doing a pale job of raising donations. Now you can turn that around and say people are not giving enough; however, I believe that is because the school has - comparatively - taken fund-raising for granted.

I post this here to support the concept that until we get free of this bowling ball that is chained to us, and also step up the efforts to signficantly raise private donations, our effort to be competitive is like trying to do a hat dance with a Volkswagen strapped to our back. It shows that what most people talk about on this board as the steps to the future of UNT is really just like a tiny little mouse scurrying around for bread crumbs.

I'm tired of pulling for a tiny mouse. We need some BIG changes and turn this thing into a MONSTER. Not 10 or 20 years from now. Immediately!

Many of you care a lot about the school. I do too. I was taken back by this information.

REVENUE BY SOURCE

Available University Fund

UNT: $0

UT-Austin: $116,412,202

State Appropriations

UNT: $130,600,199

UT-Austin: $286,447,699

State Grants and Contracts

UNT: $11,031,474

UT-Austin: $40,865,285

Tuition and Fees

UNT: $99,371,915

UT-Austin: $228,959,400

Waivers, Remissions and Exemptions

UNT: $9,801,633

UT-Austin: $27,401,497

Federal Grants and Contracts

UNT: $30,012,301

UT-Austin: $274,621,043

Endowment Investment, Interest

UNT: $2,937,426

UT-Austin: $44,567,042

Sales & Service

UNT: $10,499,539

UT-Austin: $88,992,981

Private/Local Gifts & Grants

UNT: $4,129,201

UT-Austin: $53,792,246

Other

UNT: $4,984,012

UT-Austin: $70,727,124

TOTAL REVENUE

UNT: $303,367,700

UT-Austin: $1,232,786,519

STUDENT ENROLLMENT

UNT: 31,112

UT-Austin: 49,411

State Appropriations/Available University Fund PER STUDENT

UNT: $4,198

UT-Austin: $8,153

Let your lawmakers know that you expect them to cause UT (and A&M) to truly SHARE THE WEALTH! The state's obligation to provide a proper educational opportunity to the millions in north Texas and other regions of the state depends on it. Texas can and must support more than two 'flagship' institutions.

While attending UNT, I noticed a trend in the engineering department: none of my professors were researching under State/Federal Grants, or even working with private companies.

My point is that I think that to some degree, the school can choose its own destiny. We have access to the same Federal funds that UT does, but we don't pursue these dollars as vigoriously as they do.

There's just not a lot oy money in art and jazz; and for a long time we have been very happy pursuing mainly those academic areas.

So not only write your lawmakers; write the academic leaders of UNT.

While attending UNT, I noticed a trend in the engineering department: none of my professors were researching under State/Federal Grants, or even working with private companies.

My point is that I think that to some degree, the school can choose its own destiny.  We have access to the same Federal funds that UT does, but we don't pursue these dollars as vigoriously as they do.

There's just not a lot oy money in art and jazz; and for a long time we have been very happy pursuing mainly those academic areas.

So not only write your lawmakers; write the academic leaders of UNT.

Which is why the university has started an Engineering school. Despite the program being in its infancy, we have been making lots of advancements in nanotechnology. Thank you Dr. Pohl!

Guest Aquila_Viridis

OK now that was funny.

Now seriously, what riled me up about the figures was that even though NT is not much smaller than UT, UT receives over 3 times as much state funding. If the state money were shared equitably, it would mean $75 MILLION more to UNT in THAT YEAR ALONE. If you are looking for the money for UNT's new stadium, it is going down to Austin (and College Station) every year!

UNT is not part of the permanet univerity fund, get over it.

Its not going to change, there is no political momentum for it to change so why piss and moan about it?

If you want to complain about our state government why don't you start with the state constitution?

Guest Aquila_Viridis

UNT is not part of the permanet univerity fund, get over it.

Its not going to change, there is no political momentum for it to change so why piss and moan about it?

If you want to complain about our state government why don't you start with the state constitution?

You should not be so hopeless in a democratic society with advanced communication capabilities.

There should be momentum to change it. Yes the PUF is part of the problem, but it does not account for nearly all of it. And right it does start in the state constitution which is frequently modified.

There will be momentum to change it if enough people are made to focus on the problem. UT has utilized the legislative process to its advantage. Many interests use the legislative process to their advantage. UNT and its friends need to better utilize the legislative process to UNT's advantage. No one said that is EASY to do. We are being annually and significantly robbed to pay the rich. Are you just going to do nothing and keep getting the 'shaft'?