Who’s really not supporting the team?

El Paso Eagle

First let me say, and I have been after Meager, that it’s probably not the best thing for us to go after individual players. If we are going to make comments maybe its best to say the Offense or the Defense or Special Teams rather than an individual player. For those who blast people on this board for not supporting the team let me ask a question –

When DD, or some of yourselves come out with the generalized comments like “our facilities are so bad”, “our fans don’t support us”……so we are getting the best players we can under the circumstances comments – Are you really supporting the players on the team? These players were recruited, for the most part, by other Mid-majors and BCS schools. But to continually harp on how bad things are at NT are you not implying that these aren’t the players we really wanted and that DD is doing the best he can with what he has? So are you really showing respect for the players or are some of the fans who get frustrated and sound off really more supportive because we believe we have the caliber of players who should be winning at our level.

Please read the comments from Seth Joyner (from the El Paso Times)

"I think, when you look at the caliber of coach you bring in, that has a lot to do with (the success of a program)," said former Miner standout and NFL all-pro linebacker Seth Joyner. "Obviously, you've got to have some good players to turn it around on the field as well. But, a lot of times, some good coaches and some willing players go a long way as well. I can look back at my time here; we always had some good players in my mind. But, not to slight anybody, I just don't think that we had the best of coaching that we could possibly have. Mike Price has brought a lot of credibility to this program… The evidence of both the coaches and players hard work is showing on the field."

I agree with you, EPE.

I don't think anyone is really complaining about anything past Meager, DD, and RF besides Dickey himself.

We have the fans- and we have to thank RV for that. He sells the program like it's football gold. We've had good attendance this year (so far), great pre-game, and we have to look no further than RV for a lot of that. And the members of this board- 99% of us are at the games if NT wins by 100 or loses by 200. Saying we have no fan support is a false statement. Yeah, we need more fan support, every program can use more support, but no one has any business saying we have no support until we start having a constant showing under 8000 every game.

For the players- I really believe they can do better. Each and every one of those guys is at least 2 or 3 notches better than they've been allowed to play at. I just don't think the coaching quality allows them to really take it as far as they can. I mean, 1/2 of the game happens in the mind and a coach who doesn't seem to be giving his every fiber will find it hard to get the full potential of his players.