WELCOME LURKERS!

SilverEagle

How is it lucky??? The main point as to why the team is looking bad this year is inexperience but teams across the country are doing quite well with little experience. Yes OU is having a down season but their QB has pulled it out when needed for some victories, see Kansas State and Baylor.

So by your thinking we got lucky then with Andrew Smith leading the team to a victory at the NO Bowl a few years ago.

That seems contradictory.

We have a RS Freshman with a year of experience in this system to learn, plus he was in Fall Drills, yet limited improvement can be seen after 6 games.

huh.gif

Since I will not critisize players on this or any other public forum I will not respond to that statement about our QB. And I will say again that not all teams get "lucky" with Freshman or RS Freshman QB coming out and being a Super Star....it just doesn't work that way. Yes some do but I will take odds on the statement that far more don't. There are alot more that have to mature into the roll. And, There are some that never make it and change has to be made.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Meager was here last year but as a 3rd string QB. That means he got maybe a series a week of snaps, probably less. Yes he was here for fall drills, but remember he seperated his shoulder. Yes I know it's becasue he is "injury prone" cause he's been hurt twice in 3 years. once again yada yada.

Edited by H-towngreen

I am not degrading a player I am basing it on numbers from games, sorry the facts hurt. There appears to be little difference between Game 1 and Game 6.

Competition wise the teams have been pretty similar.

Why do we have a double-standard for UNT, Memphis is better than us??

Why we are similar to them in everything so why would they be that much better than us???

This apathy and ignorance to the facts is mind-boggling. Bring up numbers and I am degrading a player, very nice. rolleyes.gif

OK, I just read through this thread and would like to make a point. Whether you're a player, parent, coach, athletic dept. official or administrator, it's the folks NOT on this board that you should be concerned about. Everyone who posts here fully supports the program. We have the best interest of the program in mind. Isn't it pretty obvious that we are passionate? Be glad that we exist and do your damnedest to cultivate more of us. We are the ones who buy tickets, show up at every game, travel to away games, join the MG Club, buy gear, etc. We are not the enemy!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Reading this thread is like beating your head into a wall...

..."LOOK! He's down there, beating that dead horse!!!"

Parents - It's the internet. Free speech and all. People are going to post their opinions. Most people's opinions stink. Teach your children this simple fact, and invite them to come on here and laugh at the amount of uninformed crap is slung around. Sometimes viewing the ignorance of others is refreshing.

Players - The fans that matter will never turn our backs on you. Play hard, don't ever quit, even when things look bleak, and the fan base will support you. We may disect a game, comment on what we armchair coaches and QB's might do, but beyond that, we support you guys. Play your asses off and win, lose or draw, you will each earn respect from the supporters of this program.

Players - The fans that matter will never turn our backs on you.  Play hard, don't ever quit, even when things look bleak, and the fan base will support you.  We may disect a game, comment on what we armchair coaches and QB's might do, but beyond that, we support you guys.  Play your asses off and win, lose or draw, you will each earn respect from the supporters of this program.

Especially if you go to class and take care of business:) A great example is Nick Baz:)

I am not degrading a player I am basing it on numbers from games, sorry the facts hurt. There appears to be little difference between Game 1 and Game 6.

Competition wise the teams have been pretty similar.

Why do we have a double-standard for UNT, Memphis is better than us??

Why we are similar to them in everything so why would they be that much better than us???

This apathy and ignorance to the facts is mind-boggling. Bring up numbers and I am degrading a player, very nice.  rolleyes.gif

Again your putting words in my mouth and then telling me I have apathy and ignorance to the facts. I know this a waste of time but, I said I would not degrade on this board I did not say you were or you shouldn't. You are mind-boggling for saying crap like that when I said no such thing! (I will not talk about other players on here because my boy plays with these kids and that would not be a good thing for me to talk about other players) Read my statement and tell me I degraded you like you are me with your last paragraph. Your still trying to compare another school with ours like they have a carbon copy of our kids there which I disagree with but I don't think your ignorant for saying it I just disagree with you. This is the last I will answer one of your post because it's obvious you read in between the lines words that are never typed!

Since I will not critisize players on this or any other public forum I will not respond to that statement about our QB.  .

I am glad you speak your mind and the references were not directed at you (reading between lines). your above quote says it all about degrading (aka criticizing a player). All I did was look at facts. We had a great debate about our RB's, I think that race is all but over after 3 consecutive fumbles.

Numbers do not lie. As far as comparing us to other teams why, that was done all summer and for every game. Why can't we compare with any other team, outside of the BCS conferences?? There is no excuse for us. For some reason we seem content with the what we have. I trust in RV to get the athletics ship turned around and head full-steam into the future, I was there when he came in. I met Gene Stallings when he came in and reviewed the athletics facilities.

All in all I guess it is to much to expect more here. Expect more from the coaches and expect more from the players.

That is blasphemy here. Oh well!!!

This is UNT anyways. cool.gif

I just wanted to share a few of my experiences here with how the players view gomeangreen.com.

I have done about a dozen player interviews, and you can see them close off when I mention gomeangreen.com.  Even Johnny “Captain Positivism” Quinn could only manage something to the effect of “it is great that the fans have a place to talk.”  Scott Hall and Phillip Graves visibly stiffened when I mentioned that I was reporting for gomeangreen.com.  Believe me, a lot of the players read what we say and most of them seem to be very, very turned off.  I’m not sure a hundred barbeques could make up for the damage a few people on this board inflict daily.

Look, the point of a forum like this is to allow people to say what they want about football.  Although direct ad-hominem “this guy sucks” comments and threads are not allowed, we are given a very wide discretion as to what we express.  You can say just about whatever the heck you want, but realize that what you say reflects directly on who you are and who those players, coaches, and parents think of you.

Honestly, if I were a player, I’d probably not like this site very much, either.  I’d take one look at a thread asking “Have the players turned their backs on us?”  One very short look.

I’m also very surprised to read people slamming Daniel Meager when I have a very strong suspicion that they would probably not say that to him in person.  In fact, I usually hear, “you’re doing a great job, Danny.  We’re behind you.” 

That doesn’t apply to just him, either.  The day a poster on this board gets up the nerve to show up at the coaches show and ask Coach Dickey some of these burning questions, during the show or after, is the day when I’ll eat my hat and not say another word about internet courage to him.  If you’re planning on being there tonight, tell me and I’ll be there, right next to you, to hear you ask DD why he doesn’t care about winning, or penalties, or beating OOC opponents, or recruiting, or selling the university, or the fans.  Any Monday night, I’ll be there.  Just give me the word, and I’ll see you at Hooters.

Just imagine if these guys played for a big time program..... if they can't take the heat from some well deserved critisicm on gomeangreen.com then there is no way they could have played at a big time school where the fans really let the players hear it.

Not sure how you can say we will get better recruits considering our best years were with recruits when the Eagle Point stuff was only a blip.

Hopefully this recruit class gets better b/c right now it looks plain ugly, hopefully this season will be just like you said a rebuilding year.

As for the QB situation see Memphis who seems to be doing quite alright with their 3rd String QB who got thrown in the middle of season without Spring Ball and 2 a Days to take snaps and learn offense better.

Where to begin with this? We WILL get better recruits because of the athletic center. If you honestly think the true effect of the AC has been seen you are fooling yourself. And, no, I don't really think we did get better recruits when the AC was a "blip." Have you seen yet what Charley Brown can do? Ajani Banks? Any of the "speed" guys we brought in? No, you haven't so judging this last recruiting class today is foolhardy. Do you honestly think that having a full recruiting season with the AC sitting across the highway won't help?

Another mistake that I think you and many others make is comparing us to other "mid-majors." I love UNT heart and soul. I will not, though, make the assumption that we are on the level of a Southern Miss or Memphis...yet. Across the board, yes across the board, they are our superior right now. Not only do they perform better on the field (which is all many seem to point to and assume is an independent variable) they are our superior in facilities, FAN SUPPORT, monetary means, winning tradition, national prestige, and conference affiliation. Will we get there? I truly believe we will. Just please, for the love of God, when you bash coach Dickey and the play of this team keep in perspective where we have been when you talk about where we should be going. Name for me the North Texas coach post-Hayden Fry who has put us on the national radar. (Hint: The guy's name is Dickey) Is this a "I love Dickey" comment? Nope, I think he's unimaginative too. It's just pointing out that way back in ancient history...you know 5 years ago...what we are seeing this year would be par for the course. And we have "heighened expectations?" Who brought us to where we expect more? Could it be that same Dickey guy? I'll be the first to stand in line and throw stones and DD and Ramon "asleep at the wheel" Flanigan...but I won't be a hypocrit about it.

Edited by emmitt01

Just imagine if these guys played for a big time program..... if they can't take the heat from some well deserved critisicm on gomeangreen.com  then there is no way they could have played at a big time school where the fans really let the players hear it.

Not so much not being able to take the heat as having a very poor impression of those that post here because of the shots that people take at the team.

And I tell you what, guys at Baylor probably don't care for Baylorfans either. Guys at OU don't care for their message boards. Guys at Texas and USC and Virginia Tech and any other powerhouse school don't care for their message boards.

But I'm not sure any of them come quite as close to the family we have here at gmg.com. That's what makes it so disappointing in this case. If any board really had the opportunity to connect with players, it would be us.

And, for your own reference, all of these interviews came last year. During a highly successful, record breaking 2004 campaign.

Where to begin with this?  We WILL get better recruits because of the athletic center.  If you honestly think the true effect of the AC has been seen you are fooling yourself.  And, no, I don't really think we did get better recruits when the AC was a "blip."  Have you seen yet what Charley Brown can do?  Ajani Banks?  Any of the "speed" guys we brought in?  No, you haven't so judging this last recruiting class today is foolhardy.  Do you honestly think that having a full recruiting season with the AC sitting across the highway won't help? 

Another mistake that I think you and many others make is comparing us to other "mid-majors."  I love UNT heart and soul.  I will not, though, make the assumption that we are on the level of a Southern Miss or Memphis...yet.  Across the board, yes across the board, they are our superior right now.  Not only do they perform better on the field (which is all many seem to point to and assume is an independent variable) they are our superior in facilities, FAN SUPPORT, monetary means, winning tradition, national prestige, and conference affiliation.  Will we get there?  I truly believe we will.  Just please, for the love of God, when you bash coach Dickey and the play of this team keep in perspective where we have been when you talk about where we should be going.  Name for me the North Texas coach post-Hayden Fry who has put us on the national radar.  (Hint: The guy's name is Dickey)  Is this a "I love Dickey" comment?  Nope, I think he's unimaginative too.  It's just pointing out that way back in ancient history...you know 5 years ago...what we are seeing this year would be par for the course.  And we have "heighened expectations?"  Who brought us to where we expect more?  Could it be that same Dickey guy?  I'll be the first to stand in line and throw stones and DD and Ramon "asleep at the wheel" Flanigan...but I won't be a hypocrit about it.

Thank you Emmit...AMEN

You pulled only part of my post out and quoted me...did you not read the entire post?  Here it is if you didn't...you see I agree with you also..they have to suck it up and live with it or ignore it which is what I suggest. ... There are alot of talented young men out there that get passed up by the top schools in the country but they would still not come here because of the facilities.

Sorry about the selective quoting. If you agree with me, that changes everything. :-).

Regarding your comments about the facilities, I think the biggest thing North Texas could do to ensure its future is to have athletic facilities worthy of comparison to the major schools. It reminds me of how Mark Cuban turned the Dallas Mavericks into a franchise that NBA free agents were willing to come to -- he improved the locker rooms, improved player seating on planes, and fed visiting players better than they get fed at their home court. This stuff seems dumb, but within a couple years the Mavs were no longer the dregs of the league.

I have done about a dozen player interviews, and you can see them close off when I mention gomeangreen.com.  Even Johnny “Captain Positivism” Quinn could only manage something to the effect of “it is great that the fans have a place to talk.”  Scott Hall and Phillip Graves visibly stiffened when I mentioned that I was reporting for gomeangreen.com.  Believe me, a lot of the players read what we say and most of them seem to be very, very turned off.  I’m not sure a hundred barbeques could make up for the damage a few people on this board inflict daily.

So what? Fans here are expressing their honest opinions of the program. The players, coaches and parents should recognize that tough scrutiny and some harsh or even unfair criticism comes with the territory. The players are getting scholarships and TV exposure and the experience of playing Division I football because we care. The more people who care, the more UNT is like a big-time program. The real "damage" we could inflict isn't criticism. It's apathy.

If all a player wanted was to play college football, without the scrutiny, there are a large number of JUCO and Division II or below programs out there. I'll bet that most of the players are at UNT because they wanted the experience of playing Division I, or they harbor aspirations of making the pros like Brad Kassell.

Part of that experience is hearing the cheers -- and catching some hell -- from fans.

I’m also very surprised to read people slamming Daniel Meager when I have a very strong suspicion that they would probably not say that to him in person.  In fact, I usually hear, “you’re doing a great job, Danny.  We’re behind you.”

I wouldn't feel obligated to criticize a player to his face as bluntly as I do on GoMeanGreen. It would be hypocritical to be supportive in person and critical on the board, but ripping someone face-to-face is a lot harsher than ripping them in print.

So what? Fans here are expressing their honest opinions of the program. The players, coaches and parents should recognize that tough scrutiny and some harsh or even unfair criticism comes with the territory. The players are getting scholarships and TV exposure and the experience of playing Division I football because we care.  The more people who care, the more UNT is like a big-time program. The real "damage" we could inflict isn't criticism. It's apathy.

Well said. Even though I would point out that there's a very distinct difference between honest opinions and saying someone sucks, this is well put. I wish there was more of this in discussing players and coaches.

All I was saying by pointing that out was to clear up any notion that the players don't know who we are and to advise people that their opinion of us is almost uniformly negative.

I wouldn't feel obligated to criticize a player to his face as bluntly as I do on GoMeanGreen. It would be hypocritical to be supportive in person and critical on the board, but ripping someone face-to-face is a lot harsher than ripping them in print.

That's my point exactly, phrased another way. But, being on the other side, saying something behind another person's back is just as offensive as saying something to their face. In fact, it is usually worse, because not only do you increase tensions, you also lose respect. I'm sure Daniel Meager would probably still not like it too much if you came up to him and told him how awful you think he is in person, but I'd guess he'd at least have some respect for your testicular fortitude.

As stated previously by Cerebus: a good rule of thumb is don't write anything on the board about a person that you wouldn't say to them in real life.

As stated previously by Cerebus: a good rule of thumb is don't write anything on the board about a person that you wouldn't say to them in real life.

So then what is clear to write about players??

Would our QB play has not improved over 6 games be ok or is that being critical?

Our OL blocking needs to be greatly improved or IMO the coaches need to devise a better blocking scheme to better suit our players.

Our RB's need to hold onto the ball better, so that we do not have drive killing, game changing fumbles.

Our DB's need to learn restraint and quit getting all of the 15 yd Unsportsmanlike penalties?

Can our coaches learn to adjust in the 1st half rather than waiting until half-time and being down 3-4 TD's? If I remember correctly our 2Q has been then achilles heel for the past 3 seasons (i.e. Arkansas, Air Force, Lousiana Tech, Tulsa).

but I never played college football so what do I know.

It's always clear to write about a player in an appropriate manner. mad.gif

I have no idea why this is a hard concept for some people to grasp.

Acceptable:

I think Player A has shown an inability to (understand the offense/hold onto the ball/tackle/etc), I would like to see Player B get a chance.

Not Acceptable:

PLAYER A SUCKS!!! SUCKS!!1 wHY DOES HE SUck so bafd!!!!111one

It's always clear to write about a player in an appropriate mannermad.gif

I have no idea why this is a hard concept for some people to grasp.

Acceptable:

I think Player A has shown an inability to (understand the offense/hold onto the ball/tackle/etc), I would like to see Player B get a chance.

Not Acceptable:

PLAYER A SUCKS!!! SUCKS!!1 wHY DOES HE SUck so bafd!!!!111one

So, I can't say that a player who pulled his helmet off and drew a 15yrd penalty at a very inopportune time (and because of his experience in college football, should have known better) pulled a dumbass stunt? huh.gif

If that is so, then I have to say that I would find that very unfullfilling. rolleyes.gif

So, I can't say that a player who pulled his helmet off and drew a 15yrd penalty at a very inopportune time (and because of his experience in college football, should have known better) pulled a dumbass stunt? huh.gif

If that is so, then I have to say that I would find that very unfullfilling. rolleyes.gif

Acceptable:

I thought Silver Eagle running naked onto the field in the third quarter, not only costing us that 15 yard unsportmanlike conduct but also losing us Patrick Cobbs for the rest of the game due to temporary blindness was unacceptable. I hope his coaching staff makes him run bleachers until he gets all the moonshine out of his system.

Unaccaptable:

Silver Eagle is an idiot! He doesn't deserve to have season tickets! Get the worthless moron off the team!!! lkjdslkndslkm!

wink.giftongue.giflaugh.gif

I don't have a problem with someone calling someone out for making a mistake, but I want to see a marked lack of invective.

In other words, if you wouldn't say it to thier face, don't post it here.

Acceptable:

I thought Silver Eagle running naked onto the field in the third quarter, not only costing us that 15 yard unsportmanlike conduct but also losing us Patrick Cobbs for the rest of the game due to temporary blindness was unacceptable.  I hope his coaching staff makes him run bleachers until he gets all the moonshine out of his system.

Unaccaptable:

Silver Eagle is an idiot! He doesn't deserve to have season tickets! Get the worthless moron off the team!!! lkjdslkndslkm! 

wink.gif  tongue.gif  laugh.gif

I don't have a problem with someone calling someone out for making a mistake, but I want to see a marked lack of invective.

While I find your example very disturbing, I still think that "SilverEagle pulled a dumbass stunt! Who's in charge of monitoring his alcohol intake?" would be an acceptable response to that very scary scenario. blink.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

While I find your example very disturbing, I still think that "SilverEagle pulled a dumbass stunt, who's in charge of monitoring his alcohol intake?" would be an acceptable response to that very scary scenario. blink.gif

laugh.gif

I was just trying to bring some levity to the situation. The real point of the message was:

Would our QB play has not improved over 6 games be ok or is that being critical?

Our OL blocking needs to be greatly improved or IMO the coaches need to devise a better blocking scheme to better suit our players.

Our RB's need to hold onto the ball better, so that we do not have drive killing, game changing fumbles.

Our DB's need to learn restraint and quit getting all of the 15 yd Unsportsmanlike penalties?

Can our coaches learn to adjust in the 1st half rather than waiting until half-time and being down 3-4 TD's? If I remember correctly our 2Q has been then achilles heel for the past 3 seasons (i.e. Arkansas, Air Force, Lousiana Tech, Tulsa).

but I never played college football so what do I know.

lol...no, those are viable questions that should be discussed by fans....after all the game would not be interesting if strengths or weaknesses can't be discussed by the fans..these questions you bring up are with tact and opens discussion without calling out people by name or calling them names. It is a team game and won and lost as a team. However, the weaknesses and strengths of a team can be dissected into the various positions. for intance: Why does the QB have so many problems throwing the ball? partly inexperiance? partly not enough time is given by the OL? partly receivers not getting free? We know the young man can play ball because he was a darn good QB in High school so there must be other problems that are causing his weeknesses to have a microscope on them. This is the proper way (in my opinion) to discuss the problems with a team, by analyzing not atacking....same with coaching....analyze the coaching not attacking individual coaches..

Edited by MeanGreenPOP