Will/Should DD get another contract extension

El Paso Eagle

To quick to judge before you took the time to think about the question. Fact one, as long as Bobby Ray is running the BOR no matter what happens DD will not be gone - and the bad part is he will probably be given another extension ohmy.gif . My point was offer the extension if DD is willing to restructure his contract to tie his salary and job security to attendance. I have a strange feeling ole DD would get real creative real quick. rolleyes.gif

To quick to judge before you took the time to think about the question.

The question was: "Will/Should DD get another contract extension"

The answer (phrased another way): NO

Now if the question was: Should DD's contract be renegotiated (salary only) to include criteria based on factors like attendance and OOC wins then I would say yes. But no length extension past 2009 until we see some OOC improvment. This is the biggest negative right now on us getting into a better conference!

Edited by NT80

Where was all this talk last year or the year before after our NO Bowl trips? The man has one down year, big deal. Don't you think other coaches have had crappy years. I know his previous years weren't lights out in attendance, scoring, NO Bowl victories, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to say no contract extension based on this ONE year.

Where was all this talk last year or the year before after our NO Bowl trips?  The man has one down year, big deal.  Don't you think other coaches have had crappy years.  I know his previous years weren't lights out in attendance, scoring, NO Bowl victories, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to say no contract extension based on this ONE year.

Radio - I have always written of my displeasure with DD's overall performance -sorry winning the Belt does not prove the program is heading in the right direction.

Edited by El Paso Eagle

The will and the should factors in the poll make it very difficult to answer. I personally think DD's contract should be restructured right now. We could pay him more money, based on total wins and attendance, and I'd be fine with that. But I don't like that he's got a pretty much guaranteed job here until 2009. In the entertainment business, your job should always be subject to review. If you don't like that, find another occupation.

radiogreen, I guess you haven't been reading some of the other postings throughout the board. Are you easily satisfied to see one of the largest schools in Texas being shown no respect in the newspapers and on TV?

Extending the contract beyond 2009 at this time would show that we intend to remain second class. Who are we afraid of? Bobby Ray? Mattress Mac? What is their long range plan?

They might be a Redneck if........

rolleyes.gif

I agree that his OOC records have stunk and that things could be better, but we always view short term disappointment when calling for coaches heads. Why didn't we worry about this when they were talking about giving him an extension the first time? His OOC record stunk then and it stinks now. I may just be reacting to all the negativity on this board, some of which is called for, but I don't think we should worry about this now. It's one bad year. If next year is the same, then I could understand.

If the university is fine with what we are doing, go ahead and keep Dickey around.

However, if we want to commit to taking this thing to the next level, might want to start looking for a next-level coach. That being said, you wont find that kind of coach if the University isnt going to support him fully. Money and better conferences come with winning* programs. Winning* coaches create winning* programs. Winning* coaches get paid decent money which is funded by a university and fans that believe that athletics are an important part of a well-rounded and diverse University. And its a pretty darn good PR for the academic programs as well...

*by winning, I mean competing against the other 110ish programs in the nation, not the rest of Purgatory. Or even playing a half decent game against a top 70 team like Tulsa or KState (neither of which are really very good).

Dont see it from my point of view? Well, lets see what happens against a BAD La-Tech team tomorrow. Maybe I will eat my words, but I doubt it.

I agree that his OOC records have stunk and that things could be better, but we always view short term disappointment when calling for coaches heads.  Why didn't we worry about this when they were talking about giving him an extension the first time?  His OOC record stunk then and it stinks now.  I may just be reacting to all the negativity on this board, some of which is called for, but I don't think we should worry about this now.  It's one bad year.  If next year is the same, then I could understand.

Radio, I think this was cussed and discussed on this board and Harry's old board back in 2000, 2001, and 2003 when the season started so badly for us. Somewhere in there was the first contract extension, OOC debates, and fan DD's attitude. The another contract extention recently. This talk is nothing new.

It either needs to be conditional based on Attendance and team performance or not at all.

At some point we have to put our foot down and say we need a coach that can beat better teams than the bottom 15. Winning the Belt year after year means nothing if you can't beat anyone else. We need a coach that can coach and recruit not just recruit.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

It either needs to be conditional based on Attendance and team performance or not at all.

At some point we have to put our foot down and say we need a coach that can beat better teams than the bottom 15.  Winning the Belt year after year means nothing if you can't beat anyone else.  We need a coach that can coach and recruit not just recruit.

Exactly. The SBC has been a good "temporary" home for us since the breakup of Big West football. But I never saw it as a final stop. We win it 4 times and what have we really achieved, what are we offered? A WAC invite (only because of location), and a CUSA visit (again because of location?). To get more and accomplish more, we need to beat the teams we want to be with someday...the Tulsas, Houstons, USM's, Memphis's, La Techs, Smuus, etc. We haven't done it. That MUST be the goal, not just another SBC trophy.

Edited by NT80

At some point we have to put our foot down and say we need a coach that can beat better teams than the bottom 15.  Winning the Belt year after year means nothing if you can't beat anyone else.  We need a coach that can coach and recruit not just recruit.

Are you saying that you don't just LOVE (year after year) being KING OF THE DIP$HITS.... ohmy.gif

What an ungrateful fan you are!...... cool.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

Radio, I think this was cussed and discussed on this board and Harry's old board back in 2000, 2001, and 2003 when the season started so badly for us.  Somewhere in there was the first contract extension, OOC debates, and fan DD's attitude.  The another contract extention recently.  This talk is nothing new.

Thanks for the info Deep, I guess I missed it. It's probably best that I did!

To quick to judge before you took the time to think about the question. Fact one, as long as Bobby Ray is running the BOR no matter what happens DD will not be gone - and the bad part is he will probably be given another extension  ohmy.gif . My point was offer the extension if DD is willing to restructure his contract to tie his salary and job security to attendance. I have a strange feeling ole DD would get real creative real quick. rolleyes.gif

There is the real truth to the story!!! Most don't know that Bobby Ray is pulling the strings and is buddy buddy with DD, that BOR has effectively handcuffed RV in the desision making as far as what DD does and wants.

The very scary part is if RV gets frustrated and leaves, and we are stuck with a losing DD. I would much rather get rid of DD than RV if it come to that! ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

Actually, hasn't DD gotten an extension after each of our last 4 bowl appearances?

If that is the case, I think those contracts extend out to, uh, 2025! laugh.gif

OK, I know some of you are not laughing about that, but I sure do like where we are now better than any of the 12 years we were in NCAA 1"AA" or our ol' Big West aka WAC days.

I know we need to really start winning OOC games, but we as alums need to provide funding annually so when we have a good 4 year run, that our funding makes it possible to have another 4 year run and I don't think we as alums/fans have created that scenario just yet. FWIW, a successful NCAA D1-A football program requires funding. Unfortunately, I think we are funded at the level of the conference we're in. I don't think we come close to most CUSA schools and would be highly interested to see all the CUSA member's football budgets.

I don't think DD has as good a team of recruiters as he had during the first part of our most recent 4 year run of bowl appearances, either, and I hope he addrresses that very soon. On the other side of the coin, NT needs to raise the salaries of all our assistant football coaches.

IMHO, I do feel we need a new offensive coordinator who will spend more time recruiting DFW rather than spending much of the recruiting season (apparently) looking for a head coach's job. Just my .02.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen