Dickey: Meager will be asked to do more

NT80

UNT's Dickey: Meager will be asked to do more

12:17 AM CDT on Thursday, October 20, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Coach Darrell Dickey said he will depend on redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Meager to take on a larger role in the Mean Green's offense Saturday at Louisiana Tech after he showed improvement in a win over Florida International.

Meager threw his first touchdown pass against the Golden Panthers and completed 10 of 15 passes for 79 yards.

"larger role"; exactly what does that mean? Will he be allowed to free-lance on some option runs or audible?

Coach Darrell Dickey said he will depend on redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Meager to take on a larger role in the Mean Green's offense

I find this to be very interesting in that it supports the fact that the QB position in this system is not required to take the full load of responsibility for it to succeed and eliminates Danny's inexperience as part of the reasons for lack of production. It's just a guess, but I suspect Danny now will be allowed to possibly change which side the play goes to, or we are going to option more?

Rick

It's just a guess, but I suspect Danny now will be allowed to possibly change which side the play goes to, or we are going to option more?

Rick

I hate the old option offense. It only works well when you practice it every single day for hours. Even then, it usually results in a higher number of turn overs. Our O line seems to have a hard enough time blocking for I formation, much less the movement needed to run option.

I'm hoping for more short passes. If we make a D think we MIGHT pass (and have the receiver actually catch the ball!) I think that will open up the running game more.